Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - Matt@

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can shed light on a mystery prob with my Transit.

Its a 2.0 front wheel drive 125 TDCI model and its twice lost alot of fluid of some kind for no apparent reason.

Twice in the last 6 weeks after a cold start, somethings leaking a 12" diameter patch onto the driveway and when I drive off after 30 secs, theres a trail of whats leaking about 100' up the road (travelling at 5-10mph)

The wet patch is showing on the driveway below the engine a bit left of the oil filter area. ie almost below timing cover and crank pulley.

I thought spilliage was oil to start with but it doesnt seem black enough. It doesnt smell of anything so I'm guesing that rules out diesel. The stain is still on the road 2 days later.

The oil level isnt moving. Brake and PAS fluid levels seem normal. Water level seems normal.There slight oil seepage from timing cover pump access plate, from the oil filter seal and from the bottom of the intercooler but nothing that suggests such a drastic fluid loss.

I'm getting a rattle (not timing chain) every time on cold start up that almost disappears when hot that goes the instant the throttle is touched. The engine also pinks very slightly when cold and at low revs pulling away. On both occasions of the fluid loss, the rattle was not there (surely too much of a coincedence)

The vans running ok

Anyone any idea whats causing the fluid to leak, what the fluid is and whether its all connected to the lack of rattle on cold start up??

Sorry for long post and thanks in advance for any help anyone can give....

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - bathtub tom

I think you need to get down and get this stuff between your fingers, feel its consistency (oil or water) and smell it. Gearbox oil often has a different aroma to engine oil.

I was baffled by a recurring puddle. It turned out to be caused by a cat! I didn't say the experience would be pleasant.

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - Collos25

If none of the fluid levels are dropping then its diesel .

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - Matt@

couldnt rub it between fingers as it wasnt wet by the time I saw it. Stuck me nose in it and theres no smell. If it were diesel, it would stink wouldnt it??

and if it were a cat, he's have a bladder the size of a pumpkin, lol

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - tdc

Chassis holding water somewhere?

Washer bottle split?

Do you park on a slope?

If so try parking the opposite way round and see if problem ceases.

yep could be the chassis thing, I'll have a look tomorrow....

Washer bottles on wrong side of van

parking pretty level

this afternoon I reverted to pouring diesel onto the road then some brake fluid to try and see whats leaking - I can compare the staining tomorrow.

The trail down the road is in quite a neat 2" wide band not a splattering which suggests what leaked had some viscosity? ie nothing to do with water but its not really really black that you would expect from engine oil from a diesel vehicle.

Common fault on these engines is a leaking fuel pump solenoid - mines dry as a bone.

Thought it might be the windscreen tray emptying and contaminating with oil residue - tried that this morning, the water just splashes out unevenly.

Another clue - the trail goes down the road 30' stops for 6 feet and starts again. The stop start coincides with approaching a junction and slowing (brakes)

I'm amazed I cannot see how this has happened given how much has come out

keep the ideas coming!!!

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - Peter D

Is your gearbox empty yet. Regards Peter

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - bathtub tom

>>Another clue - the trail goes down the road 30' stops for 6 feet and starts again. The stop start coincides with approaching a junction and slowing (brakes)

I'd guess it's fuel.

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - tdc

You`re going to be popular with the local bikers if it`s diesel!

Is it to do with the leak-back pipe?Check it all the way back to the tank.

Modern fuel oil is so adulterated that it evaporates like diesel never used to when spilt onto concrete or tarmac.

still struggling...

definately not diesel as the spillage doesn't smell, also I poured a small amount of diesel and the patch looks different to the other one

definately not water

definately not brake/ clutch fluid as poured that and it disappears after 48hrs

I'm assuming not PAS fluid as the level hasnt dropped and I doubt it would leave a dense black patch.

Can't be sure about gearbox oil but theres no leak at bellhousing nor anywhere else, just some minor seeping at driveshaft.

It must be oil coming out under some kind of pressure...

A different slant on the original question - if I'd been driving the van hard the night before ie using turbo alot, would this have caused any pressure to build up overnight giving this leakage in the morning on start up??

Ford Transit 2003 FWD 2.0 TDCI - Dumping oil or fluid onto driveway and trailing - TeeCee

It hasn't got airco has it?

That would be an obvious source, water off the condenser pooling in the bottom of the heater plenum and draining out when the vehicle moves off.