iPhone 4 - Review - problems with antenna? - oilrag

I picked one up and my hand bridged the antennas.The signal fell off - and I wondered if the designers had ever gripped a car radio antenna and noticed the same? we knew that would happen as school kids.

It looked good though and it seems the battery is replaceable on this one - although it lacks a physical qwerty keyboard. Pity about that..

It seems to have a hardened glass front and back, with no raised rim to protect it. Glass is glass I thought and softer than many minerals in the environment - including microscopic quartz particles, in the atmosphere - and setted on hard surfaces on which the phone may be placed. Harder glass means, in general, easier to shatter too - if dropped.

I wasn`t sure whether it could multi task. But it seemed unable. For example, could it run Skype minimised in the background, while polling IMAP email in the background, while using Opera Mini to surf this site?

It seemed unable to do this - and it wouldn`t run Macromedia Flash applications either.

Mrs O came up with a solution in the Apple store. "Just put a coat of clear nail varnish on the bare antenna"

She`s thinking of applying to Steve Jobs for a position as Senior Antenna Engineer. And I thought my own childhood experiences, of attenuating radio signals by gripping bare metal car radio antennas, might get me a consultancy.

You never know. Stranger things have happened.

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 20/07/2010 at 09:33