A Lighter Moment - Harry Boy

A few years ago I owned a Datsun which sadly had a gearbox malfunction. Components difficult to find back then and no internet. I did trace an exporter in Europe that could supply the parts. Luckily he was freighting over a couple of cars in a converted DC3, Dakota, so I was expecting the bits pretty quickly. After a couple of weeks nothing so I phoned only to find that the plane had encountered a problem and had to ditch some weight.

You've guessed it, they jettisoned my shipment. Apparently the Coastguard put out a warning to all shipping that it was raining Datsun cogs.

Could have been worse I suppose if we'd have had Bluebirds Over the White Cliffs of Dover.

Model was a 240Z, fondly christened the 24 ounce.

Any more humerous carr names (apart from Jimmy and Alan), I suggest the Honda Leg End and the Vauxhaul Shove It, I am sure you can do better.

A Lighter Moment - b308

I remember when I first worked in a bank we had a couple of old people with the names Maurice Minor and Mini Minor... they were not related though! :)

A Lighter Moment - Leif

I remember when I first worked in a bank we had a couple of old people with the names Maurice Minor and Mini Minor... they were not related though! :)

Odd you should say that. A Maurice Minor used to work at British Leyland:

www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/apr/26/motoring.work...s.

And there is the actress called Minnie Driver which always makes me smile.

My half sister was taught by a Dr. Death. Except is was written De'ath, and pronounced 'day-arth'.

A Lighter Moment - b308
Odd you should say that. A Maurice Minor used to work at British Leyland:

Not in Leyland Motors in Leyland by any chance? Thats where I started!

A Lighter Moment - Avant

"...And there is the actress called Minnie Driver...."

Daughter of Laurie Driver presumably.

A Lighter Moment - Bikerkid

Excellent!

There is a story that surrounds the Mitsubish Starion. The Starion was a pretty decent sports car with 4WD and 4 cylinder turbo. The Japanese wanting a vehicle to compete with the American "pony" cars of the era, eg the Mustang. At a board meeting to agree the name it was decided that Stallion fitted the bill perfectly and it would have done had it not been lost in translation of the Engrish.

There is no word Starion in any language, although the Japanese claimed, I think, that it was a derivative of Star of Orion, maybe, only maybe.

Apologies to the Japanese, they do arguably produce the most reliable cars..and bikes, whatever the name. Lost my Datsun Cherry years ago.

I quite like Howdy Quattro, maybe with Devil Gate Drive on the stereo.

How do backroomers feel about car names over car numbers? I'm a names man.

A Lighter Moment - Armstrong Sid
How do backroomers feel about car names over car numbers?

I've always wondered why Audi feel the need to name their cars after pieces of paper

A Lighter Moment - Chris S

I suppose everybody is familiar with the Toyota MR2 - pronounced MR deux in French, which also means something rude.

A Lighter Moment - Armstrong Sid

Keeping with the French language, I'm amazed that market research didn't alert Renault to the potential dangers of naming a car the "Wind"

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 14/07/2010 at 13:45

A Lighter Moment - mike hannon

I know I've said this on here many times before, but I had a neighbour called Austin Morris, who drove a company Ford.

My boss always called my Legend coupe the Leg End but only, I think, because she was stuck with a company Astra.

A Lighter Moment - Leif

Keeping with the French language, I'm amazed that market research didn't alert Renault to the potential dangers of naming a car the "Wind"

I'm not sure which you mean. However, the PT Cruiser is not so well named in France. PT is pronounced as per 'péter' ... I suppose if it goes like the wind ...

By the way the Mazda MR2 is called the MR in France. They saw that one coming.

A Lighter Moment - mrnikko

Although not motoring related one of my mates at college was called Jeff Nutter, his uncle who was a nurological surgeon in a hospital in Manchester was called Alan Nutter so imagine you are to operated on today by A Nutter.

A Lighter Moment - Leif

An academic paper entitled The urethral syndrome: experience with the Richardson urethroplasty, Br J Urol. 1977 Apr;49(2):173–176, was a learned study of the human urinary tract. The authors were Splatt and Weedon. I kid you not.

A Lighter Moment - Bikerkid

Yesterday's sports headline

"Open Golf suspended due to Wind"

Sounds like Volkswagon 0 Renault 1 in the convertible car stakes.

In the 1970's McLaren had John Watson and Bruno Giacomelli as drivers. The mechanics had some fun with their names on the tubs. On occasion John Watson became John What's Wrong (presumably never fully happy with the car) and Bruno became the Irish driver Bruno Jack O'Malley.

Stefan Johannson's dad was named Leif, so Stefan was known as Little Leif, and had a helmet design incorporating small leaves.

In cricket Geoff Marsh the Australian opening bat was nick-named Swampy, while his son is known as SOS, son of Swampy.

While on cricket I always thought Kent's Robert Key was an ideal opener.

The Rothmans sponsored Porshe 962 was a very successful 3 car team at Le Mans. Each car was identified primarily by a race number and then for quick recognition a coloured sun screen strip on the windscreen.

The Jacky Ickx / Derek Bell car sported a blue band and was always referred to as the Margarine car.

Apologies if the second posting, the first maybe lost in the ether or maybe not.