n/a - possibly scratched a car, didn't leave details - George1968

Yesterday in at the Tesco car park in Lichfield...

I was slowly pulling out of a tight spot (going forward, and turning sharp left), and just at the end the turn, I believe I rubbed the back bumper of the parked car to my left. I paused for a second to consider what to do next -- and decided to put on emergency lights, get out the car, and find something on which to leave a note. The best I came up with was some tissue, and a sharpie -- and this clearly wasn't working (bleeding through and tearing). At this point, I looked at my watch, realised I needed to catch a train, and decided to actually look if I had caused any damage.

Several seconds of staring at the corner of the car, I thought -- "hey, i actually don't see any scratches" -- which was followed by, "I guess I can just go catch my train..."

So I got in the car, and drove away, without leaving a note, without taking pictures, and without noting the car or its number plate.

Whilst on the train, the ethical flaws in my previous "logic" began to expose themselves.

Even though *I* think it was only a little rub, and *I* think there was no damage -- I didn't go up close to the car and inspect thoroughly (in the dark, covered car park). Worse, I did not give the owner an opportunity to speak with me about his or her opinion on any effect to their vehicle.

At this point I realised the right thing to do, regardless, would have been to (A) wait around to explain what had happened or (B) properly leave a note with my contact details. At the very least, I should have gone up to the car properly to see if there are any marks.

Also, the more I thought about it, I am realising that my actions seem to be tantamount to leaving the scene of an accident. So I got off at the next station (my destination yesterday wasn't *that* important), and got the next train back (about an hour later?). I drove back to the Tesco's, but the other party's car was gone.

I then tried to decide if calling the police was the right thing to do -- the reason not to, being, that it's a waste of their time. I decided to take that chance, called in the non-emergency number, and the gentleman who took my call was very helpful, and took down all my details and my recollection of the incident, and gave me an incident number.

But now, at least -- what I really should have done -- was give the car's owner a chance to contact me.

Is there anything I can/should do to do right by the vehicle's owner?

Is there anything in the law I need to do to properly take responsibility for my actions, whilst not setting myself up for more than which I am at fault?

Thanks very much for any advice, and I certainly understand any and all criticism for my prior poor judgment.

Edited by George1968 on 11/07/2010 at 22:20

n/a - possibly scratched a car, didn't leave details - Avant

You've already yielded to your conscience more than many of us would have done.

There's a 1 % chance that the other driver saw you and took your number - in which case offer to pay for repairs if they contact you (but NB check the damage is real before paying!). Much more likely that there was no or negligible damage and therefore nothing that you can or should do. Sleep easily at night.

n/a - possibly scratched a car, didn't leave details - Rob C

I once nudged a car in a Co-op car park. I wanted to be honourable so was writing a note when the woman who owned it walked out. I explained evrything and we swapped details. There was a tiny rub and I was halfway to offering her round to my very nearby house so I could polish it out in all of 20 minutes, but felt she might think I was being a bit odd or too forward.

A tiny paint rub, I say again.

She claimed, the cost was about £800, most of which was car hire. I had to claim it at renewel and my premium rose by about £150.

I will never leave details again, should I make another driving error. Harsh, but true.

Edited by Rob C on 12/07/2010 at 00:05

n/a - possibly scratched a car, didn't leave details - LucyBC
If anyone saw the incident - which they probably did - you stand a very good chance that the owner of the vehicle will be told of your number and will go to the police as that is the only way that they will know how to trace you.

The police, having had an accident reported to them, will deal with it as a failure to stop and report and will probably throw in "driving without due care and attention" for good measure.

I know of a lawyer in the West Country who makes a very good living out of dealing with these cases charging £250+VAT to persuade the police to drop the charges. She was doing ten or so a day nationwide last time I spoke to her.

The best thing to do is to report the incident to the police as that means if there was any damage you can settle it and won't risk any further action.
n/a - possibly scratched a car, didn't leave details - Dwight Van Driver

Tesco car park in this incident will be classed as a public -place and subject to rules of Road Traffic Act Act regarding accidents. (Section 170)

If you crunch someone and only damage your own vehicle no need to take any action.

If you damage someone elses vehicle no matter how small then there is an obligation firstly to STOP - which you did. Then there is the obligation if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle. (Where injury is involved then details of Insurance).

If there is no such person then there is the obligation to report ther accident to the Police as soon as reasonably practicable and in any case within 24 hours.

On the facts you gave I doubt very much CPS would prosecute for failing to repor as you did so (with a short delay), It is that Office that decides on prosecution and not Police.

If you want to to trace the details of the other vehicle no doubt Tesco will have CCTV of their park and or speak again to Police after a couple of days to see how they have got on.

dvd

n/a - possibly scratched a car, didn't leave details - mattpasc

I genuinely think that in todays society even if you left a note, this for some would equate to guilt, this person could then go to the police station an make a complaint, they could fill out the statement form and tick "Should this person be prosecuted" box.

Next thing you know you have a conviction for driving without due car or a court appearance.

Scary but true.

My friend had this happen but without actually making contact and has evidence to prove him right. People might think i'm paranoid but knowing how easy it could be to land a conviction based on a loose accusation by someone who integrity is unknown, I always carry a small camera with me in case I brush someone bumper so I can record the evidence at the time then only then would I even consider leaving a note.

Leaving a note which say "Sorry I think I hit you car" could and will give the victim a licence to say that you done all the other dents and scratches as well, and theres nothing you could do about it.

n/a - possibly scratched a car, didn't leave details - LucyBC
You definitely need to take a picture but you also need to leave a note with your contact details. If not it is failure to stop. If you cannot leave a note for any reason you have to report the incident to the police within 24 hours.