205xld brake warning circuit - rooster_lxy
The brake warning light on my 205XLD appears to be on all the time. As far as I know there are three warning switches that would trigger this light: mechanical switch beneath the handbrake lever; contact switch on the brake pads; and float switch in the brake fluid reservoir. Applying the handbrake makes the warning light glow brighter so I am assuming that this switch works OK. New brake pads have just been fitted so the contact switch shouldn't be activated (I've had a look and there is a good clearance between pad and contact). Also the brake fluid is up to maximum (actually a little over maximum) so the float switch shouldn't be activated. Are there any other switches that I am forgetting about? Any ideas what else could causing the problem?

Cheers
Rooster
205xld brake warning circuit - JohnD
Check the wiring to the brake pads. If it's shorting it will cause the warning light to show.
205xld brake warning circuit - Andrew-T
Having checked brake pads on about a dozen 205s over the years I guess about half of them had broken wear-detector wires. You could have a short somewhere. If you are checking anyway, I decided to do without a rather unreliable warning system.
205xld brake warning circuit - Ian Cook
You could try a process of elimination. It's fairly simple to disconnect the leads from the reservoir switch, and not too difficult to pull the bullet connectors out of the wear sensor leads to the pads. I'm not sure about the handbrake switch, though.

At least that would be a start.

Ian Cook
205xld brake warning circuit - rooster_lxy
Having looked at the handbook for the 205XLD, it suggests that there are in fact two warning circuits. One has both the handbrake switch and the brake fluid reservoir float switch on it, while the other has just the contact switch on the brake pads. The dashboard warning lights for each circuit are in separate places: the handbrake/brake fluid level light is up next to the coolant temp/STOP/alternator warning lights while the brake pad wear light is below and left of the fuel gauge. I've never noticed this last warning light until now. There is a coolant level warning light down there as well.

The problem I have is with the handbrake/brake fluid level light that is on permanently, rather annoyingly when driving at night. Looks like I will be spending a few hours circuit testing at the weekend. Any top tips for this?

Rooster