Showroom Shine - Ben 10

Have seen this again on a shopping channel. "GL Showroom Shine". I am not interested in waterless systems but curious to use as a polish/protection.

Has anyone on here actually USED this product and if so what were the results.

Showroom Shine - Mazda-Man

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=60567

Still using it and won't ever go back to water..

Oldgit - contrary to what you posted on my previous thread on this subject I do care very much about my car's paintwork, have been using the product ever since then and my car's paintwork is unmarked. I also use the product widely around the home with the same result.

Edited by Mazda-Man on 10/04/2010 at 23:07

Showroom Shine - Ben 10

Mazda Man,

Apologies for not acknowledging that people had posted before on using this product or the previous incarnation.

As for micro fibre cloths, when you handle them they feel rather abrasive and sticky on the hands. I used one to clean the screen on my son's PSP and it scratched the surface as I wiped it over. Maybe this is the cause of swirling on paintwork that many moan about.

Edited by Cpt. Flack on 11/04/2010 at 00:38

Showroom Shine - Lygonos

Microfibre is not abrasive - it is made from extremely fine fibres and the 'catching' you feel on the skin is the fibres going into tiny pores in your skin.

Clean microfibre cannot scratch plastic/glass/paint.

Dirty on the other hand...

Showroom Shine - oldgit

Oldgit - contrary to what you posted on my previous thread on this subject I do care very much about my car's paintwork, have been using the product ever since then and my car's paintwork is unmarked. I also use the product widely around the home with the same result.

I'd be quite prepared to use such a product, post washing but no way would I use it on my car when it has accumulated a typical week's dirt.
If you gently rub your hand over the lower parts of the side panels, you can feel the grit adhering to the paintwork and there is no way I'd use a waterless cleaner without first washing away this material.

I often watch those demos. on the shopping channels and the 'dirt' they show never looks more than a sort of wet-applied talc or fine clay that is then allowed to dry - of course I don't really know what that material is but am just hazarding a guess.

As regards microfibre cloths: I have bought many of these and of varioius qualities and have found them pretty useless. They seem to drag on glass if the surface becomes very dry and this results in many fine fibres being pulled off the cloth onto the glass and this can only be removed with a damp leather.

Edited by oldgit on 11/04/2010 at 10:06

Showroom Shine - Ben 10

OG,

Washing over the grit with a wet sponge, chamois or mit wil move the grit across the paintwork anyway. Think of all the grit in your sponge. The difference is the waterless products emulsifies the dirt thus protecting the paintwork as you wipe away. Normal soap/shampoo doesn't do this. It may break up the dirt, but you are still scuffing it along the paintwork. Hence the swirling.

They wouldn't be able to make the claims for this product if it doesn't work. I to was sceptical, but having read other sites and seen the posts here, I will probably order some. Many parts of the US ration water for cleaning cars and this is where these products come into their own. If you don't believe me there are plenty of videos to watch on a certain website, you will see how popular these products are, and not "snake oil."

Edited by Cpt. Flack on 11/04/2010 at 12:38

Showroom Shine - oldgit

OG,

Washing over the grit with a wet sponge, chamois or mit wil move the grit across the paintwork anyway. Think of all the grit in your sponge. The difference is the waterless products emulsifies the dirt thus protecting the paintwork as you wipe away. Normal soap/shampoo doesn't do this. It may break up the dirt, but you are still scuffing it along the paintwork. Hence the swirling.

They wouldn't be able to make the claims for this product if it doesn't work. I to was sceptical, but having read other sites and seen the posts here, I will probably order some. Many parts of the US ration water for cleaning cars and this is where these products come into their own. If you don't believe me there are plenty of videos to watch on a certain website, you will see how popular these products are, and not "snake oil."

Actually, I have always used a hose fitted with a water fed brush which you also may not approve of, however I find it quick and quite effective as there is a continuous supply of fresh water to displace that 'grit' and there in no messy sponge or silly mitt to entrap dirt.

Yes, the key to its success is the way in which it immediately encapsulates the dirt and prevents it coming into direct contact with the paintwork as it's being removed. Even where there's some really dried on dirt which needs a bit of elbow grease to remove, there's never any feeling of abrasion and certainly no visible scratching to the surface.

I know that if you purchase from Ideal World you can actually try out the product and send the rest back if you're not happy - you just pay the P&P. But to be honest I've found this stuff so good on all sorts of hard surfaces that even if I didn't have a car I'd still buy it for use elsewhere around the home. Before deciding to clean our oven and fridge with it, I tried it on a piece of pristine stainless steel left over from when our kitchen was installed. After removing the protective film, I applied some mud from the garden, sprayed on the liquid then cleaned it off. It came up looking as good as new.

Honestly, I doubt anyone was a sceptical as me about this stuff but it does work and once it's been applied to the paintwork, it leaves a protective coating which seems to keep the car cleaner for longer and help to make removing subsequent grime easier. There's one other thing, we live in a hard water area and used to have a real problem with the lime residue left on the glass and paintwork by any water droplets allowed to evaporate when washing the car. Thankfully that's also a thing of the past now.

As regards the microfibre cloths, they do vary quite a lot and some seem to catch on the skin more than others. I bought some really good quality ones at Costco and they've been great but the drag you feel when cleaning surfaces is normal. One tip is not to wash them when using fabric conditioner as this apparently has an adverse effect on the fibres.

Edited by Mazda-Man on 11/04/2010 at 15:11

Showroom Shine - oldgit

I find that washing MF clothes is usually their downfall. Before so doing, they seem much more efficient and cleaner to use but after washing, the multitudinous fibres become detached more readily and if used to clean glass (where it's noticeable), fibres are left on the glass should the cloth become dry. This is more obvious if doing your car's glass (in the sun) when they will suddenly drag leaving a very fine 'deposit' of fibres looking like microscopic crystals that can be seen when the sun is in a certain position.

Showroom Shine - Ben 10

Using a brush or a car wash with brushes, you are still rubbing the dirt around the paintwork. It's not the best alternative to the sponge etc. Give SS a go. I'm going to try it.

Edited by Cpt. Flack on 11/04/2010 at 22:50

Showroom Shine - 832ark

OG,

Hence why you should snow foam the car, rinse and then wash with a quality wash mit using the two bucket method with grit guards. I wince at the very thought of someone using a sponge to wash a car.

Showroom Shine - oldgit

OG,

Hence why you should snow foam the car, rinse and then wash with a quality wash mit using the two bucket method with grit guards. I wince at the very thought of someone using a sponge to wash a car.

I bet your car's black or similar dark colour?

Why bother when showroom shine does it soooo much easier?

Showroom Shine - Ditso

I post on a jaguar forum and on there, there are loads of "Proshine" fans. I won't post a link to the thread as I don't want anyone to think I'm spammiing as I'm a new member.

I use it and it really does work, you don't have to wash the car 1st and it can be done in 20 mins quite easily.

I probably would hose the car down if it was caked in mud but otherwise it's fine.

BTW as a new member is there anywhere I should post an official "hello" ?

Edited by Ditso on 13/04/2010 at 00:56

Showroom Shine - Clk Sec

Nothing doing on that link, dervdave.

Clk Sec

Showroom Shine - Bilboman

I'm following this thread with some interest. I have all but given up on a showroom shine (I have a leased company car - currently a 2008 Focus TDCi - and get a new one every 4 years with a fully paid wash 'n' brush up before handback time) I have on-street parking only and I take reasonable care and assume reasonable wear and tear. The two things that do, however, bother me, are (i) the seemingly impossible task of trying to get the windows sparkling clean inside and out - and staying that way, and (ii)an annoying slick of dried dribble from the washer jets all over the bonnet in every direction, which ruin the sheen on the gunmetal grey paintwork. I'm open to either a failsafe screenwash additive or else a non agggressive solution to wipe away the mess after a journey. I'm fully expecting to be advised to change the pollen filter, never ever use climate control, never drive in hot/cold/muggy weather, don't breathe whilst driving or allow passengers to do so, use white vinegar, spit, fruit tea, lemon juice or formula milk - but any suggestions, however wacky, are most welcome! :-)

Sorry to "hijack" the thread here, but any hints on a showroom shine for windows and bonnet would be very welcome and would also (I hope) enrich the discussion!

Showroom Shine - seasiders rock

Straight to the bottom of the page, it works.

Been using it for the best part of 3 years.

Showroom Shine - mrslaps

I have used it and its very good, comes up really shiny and puts a protective "film" on the paintwork and it only takes about 20-25 mins to do a saloon car. You can use it on glass although prob not a good idea on the windscreen as its a wax.

Showroom Shine - mrslaps

lol

Plus I sell it so I know it works.

Showroom Shine - Avant

We'll let you get away with that but please, no advertising on here.

Showroom Shine - turbo11

One of my work colleagues, is a detailer. He enters and has won shows in the past twenty years. We are talking serious detailing(polishing inside wheel arches, removing most car parts and spending days hand polishing components.Some he polishes up in our lathes at work. He uses snow foam on his cars, and I know he gets his microfibre cloths from the USA where these particular ones are made with a very soft cotton.Not the harsh ones you get in the shops here. I respect his attention to detail, but for me, having to drive past a quarry every day now, my car gets so dirty that I jet wash it in the road rather than my drive. It usually looks like its done the Paris-Dakar rally after one day!.

Showroom Shine - veryoldbear

Oh dear, I didn't know you were supposed to wash cars ...

Showroom Shine - Chris22

Have seen this again on a shopping channel. "GL Showroom Shine". I am not interested in waterless systems but curious to use as a polish/protection.

Has anyone on here actually USED this product and if so what were the result

Bought Showroom Shine after watching it on Ideal World.Do not believe the hype its only an ok cleaner/polish.It takes more like an hour to clean your car properly.It does NOT clean plastic without leaving white marks.DO not spray it directly on your car like I did as it goes everywhere in all the little gaps and is very hard to remove from these places.

There are much better Polish/Cleaners I have tried

Showroom Shine - Ben 10

Hi Chris,

I took the plunge and bought some and discovered the same as you. Sprays everywhere covering the tyres when doing the wings or the alloys! As you said it doesn't clean everything and if you are not careful, leaves residue especially on black plastic trim. Used it after washing. I don't trust this "coating" of the dirt, dry method. If doing it dry, prepare to have a lorry load of cloths. One thing I did do was change the trigger with another so the spray is more concentrated in one area at a time. Overspray with the provided trigger is a niggle. Yes it gave a reasonable shine, but I can get that with other products used in the past. When I eventually use up the second bottle, I don't think I'll be replenishing. And the 20-25 minutes to clean one car, rubbish, as you said at least an hour. If it were that good, it would be in the shops. Wouldn't it.

Edited by Ben 10 on 22/03/2011 at 12:26

Showroom Shine - joshua

Hi

Chris and ben10

As suggested, send it back as it does not work for you.

I have used it for 3 years and never had a problem.

J

Showroom Shine - Dutchie

I bought some a few days ago should arrive soon

I have a go and see if it works always like to try something different.

Showroom Shine - jonmac2910

I've been using this waterless stuff for the past 9 months, (on a black ColtCZ1) and found it pretty good. It's as good the Mer I used to use. Even been lazy and been through car wash, finished off with a chamois leather and car is shining.

Showroom Shine - Dutchie

I used it this morning after washing the car.Car was mucky.No problem with the spray I used the two cloths and gloves provided.

Also cleaned the alloys car is dark blue.I am pleased with the result car has a lovely shine

Showroom Shine - ex-Triumph man

If this product is so good and leaves a coat of protection on the paintwork, has anyone had any problems following respray work to a treated panel?

Showroom Shine - liammcl

I wonder if anyone else just uses cheapo 45p aldi furniture wax?
I've been using it for years...and the car shines...
just spray on, and used an old towel to clean the muck off...and then another towel to get a polish.. no water...10 mins job.
I use half to 3/4 the tin ...20 -30p, every month ...the dirt just wipers off

ibb.co/he3rxU

ibb.co/hPVh49

ibb.co/daDDBp

Liam

Edited by liammcl on 29/09/2018 at 04:58