Petrol in a diesel car - Nick Ireland
I had a 'Senior Moment' today. Went to an unfamiliar garage and managed to put 17 litres of unleaded on top of about 45 litres of diesel already in the tank ie it finished up full. I drove 10 yards to get off the pumps and then got towed in for tankdrain/clean, system flush etc. Will this action prevent subsequent damageto the diesel pump and what would have happened if I had driven off in blissful ignorance with 25% petrol in a diesel car?
Re: Petrol in a diesel car - David Lacey
See the earlier thread reference this problem!
Re: Petrol in a diesel car - Stuart Bruce
At least you did not do what happened in a garage a colleague was in the other day.

He had been towed in for the identical problem (hes now known as richard head or similar), while he was in being sorted, the garage had a call from a previous customer they had literaaly just cleaned out. He had driven down the road, realised that the breakdown garage had just put him a few gallons in so had called in to top up...... and yes you guessed it. d'oh!
Re: Petrol in a diesel car - Alvin Booth
Nick,
No problems for you.In fact my handbook for the vectra diesel it says, "At low outside temperatures diesel fuel may only be mixed with unleaded regular fuel for petrol engines. leaded petrol will damage the catalytic converter and reduce its effectiveness" unquote.
A 25% mixture would appear to be all right for winter conditions.
Could I please have the contents of the fuel drain down.?

Alvin
Re: Petrol in a diesel car - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Called out to a regular customer whose wife had just filled their Pug 405 Turbodiesel with petrol. The low fuel warning light had come on so she whipped into S*******ys and brimmed it with ULS. Then drove it till it stopped. Usually I draw the fuel from the tank via the filter using an old fuel injection pump and decant it into jerry cans. I then give the fuel to the customer to dispose of. Not this one! Pumped it into his Nissan Sunny till it brimmed then into his lawn mower and finally into his boy's motorbike!