00 1.6 engine cutting out (driving through water) - jagoda
I have a big problem with my megane. Engine keeps cutting out usually when driving in rain or through water that can get to the engine. The revs are falling down and then the car stops after a while, it often happens while trying to change gear. The when I am trying to start it up, the engine turns but it is not starting. The AA people have not helped, other than towing to garage. There I was told it is crank sensor, so they have changed it and reset the computer, and following day car started. Paid £150 for that and the next time it was raining, same thing again, drove through some water and engine died. The car mechaninc can not find the fault, and I have no idea what more to do!! please help
00 1.6 engine cutting out (driving through water) - Fernando P
I reckon that water is getting to the connector terminal of the fuel injection system coolant temperature sensor as there is no way that the engine will start/run properly if there is water in the connector.
This is the lower (white) of the 2 sensors at the front RHS of the engine (as you lift the bonnet) just behind the thermostat.
The test is if the engine starts and runs ok when the water has had time to dry out. The 2 sensors should have loose (heat resisting) protective covers over them, which prevent normal water dampness getting in. If the cover(s) on yours are missing perhaps you can improvise somehow.
If I over enthusiastically wash degreaser off the engine, when I occasionally apply it and let water into the connector terminal, I get exactly the same problem until it dries out.
00 1.6 engine cutting out (driving through water) - Dave_TD
The old-shape Mini used to be prone to cutting out if water got in the engine bay... At least the ones I had did, at any rate.
00 1.6 engine cutting out (driving through water) - barkas
Thats right dave, the old mini was so famous for rain passing thro the radiater and onto the distributor , Leyland started fitting a plastic shield in front of the distributor to deflect the water.
00 1.6 engine cutting out (driving through water) - michaelNight

hi there jagoda

Did you manage to fix this problem on your vehicle ?IF so how did you do it.please reply as i have exactly the same problem. you can email me mike.night@ymail.com

kind regards

Michael