99 1.9 Twang noise on steering - bmj
Got a rattle sort of under the drivers dash on slow bumps, plus a loud twang noise as I turn the wheel when stopped from lock to lock.. a sort of ruler twang sort of noise, if that helps.. anyone please suggest what might be the problem?
99 1.9 Twang noise on steering - WorkshopTech
Rattle is probably front ARB links or bushes. Twang is sticky upper spring mount (bearing), possibly its siezed. The noise is made by the spring jumping around on the seat.
Thanks for your time there...

Both started suddenly (I am fairly sure) would one make me notice the other, or are they connected would you think...
99 1.9 Twang noise on steering - Peter D
Could be a busted front spring, the rattle is the broken off turn of the string and the twang is the spring now turning/jumping in the cup. Regards Peter
top marks to the man with the spring idea. Put my hand in the cup and pulled out 4 inches of spring... is it safe to drive, will the sheered end just sit in the cup until I take it in for it replacing?
Ok, I am reading a lot about exploding tyres, so maybe not :/
99 1.9 Twang noise on steering - L'escargot
Is it a 4" axial length of the spring, or a 4" length of the spring wire?
99 1.9 Twang noise on steering - L'escargot
twang noise as I turn the wheel when stopped from lock to lock..

It's not a good idea to turn the wheel from lock to lock when the car is stationary. It puts the maximum load on the steering mechanism, wears rubber off the tyres, and grinds lumps off the surface of the road ~ especially if it's tarmac.
99 1.9 Twang noise on steering - Peter D
Any speed bumps around your way. ?? Best to book it in and get both front springs changed. If you are keeping the car you may wish to consider changing the front shocks as well. Regards Peter