05 2.0 Boot Lock Mechanism - paulmonk
My Focus has two ways of opening the tailgate - the remote and a button on the boot. I now find that the boot button has failed - so limited to the use of my remote. Having read a few discussion forums it seems it's a common problem with a dodgy seal having let in water to impact the mechanism - a part that has been modified since.

I've spoken to Ford Customer Service with a view that as they have a design that limits the means of opening coupled with the dodgy seal we should perhaps share the cost of repair. They admit the part has been modified but this is for 'continued improvement' rather than a problem.

I'm rubbish at diy so need any guidance on simple things I can try or advice on how I can escalate within the Ford organisation. I'm happy to pay for the part but not the extortionate labour that would come with it!
05 2.0 Boot Lock Mechanism - shara
How spooky, at the time you were writing your post I was attempting to fix the very same problem on my focus! To get to the boot switch you have to first remove the plastic trim covering the lock mechanism and then undo six bolts which hold the switch mechanism in place. I have limited diy skills so the problem I found was that the wiring which connects the boot button to the car does no seperate. The only way to disconnect would be to cut the wiring which would then make it difficult to put a new switch in to place. Perhaps I am being stupid(!) but it does not appear to be simple to take one boot switch out and replace with the other.

05 2.0 Boot Lock Mechanism - MikeTorque
Try taking the component along to a local garage, they usually do jobs like these for a few quid.