Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - SteelSpark
Hi,
I am planning on buying a Ford Focus and had originally planned to buy one that was part of their Ford Direct scheme.

However, I have been offered a Focus that seems to be a fairly good price by a dealership that I understand is an authorised dealership (they do sell Ford Direct cars), but the car is not part of the Ford Direct scheme.

The car is an 09 reg, about 6 months old, with about 7,000 miles on the clock and I understand that it has been a demo car. The salesman has told me that the car will still have a 2.5 year warranty (the original 3 year warranty minus the first 6 months), Ford Direct cars seem to have 2 years (although presumably this car would have 2.5 years even if it was a Ford Direct).

I am trying to research the difference between a Ford Direct car and just a car that comes from an authorised Ford dealer. I know that they have been reconditioned by Ford, have the 2 year warranty, and 1 year roadside assistance, but I can't figure out if Ford have an "approved used car" scheme apart from the Ford Direct scheme (for cars sold via authorised dealers), and the possible impact on:

* Condition
* Warranty
* Value
* Re-sale value
* Any other risks

for a non-Ford Direct car (other manufacturers do seem to have approved used car schemes, with definite criteria for condition).

I am going to keep investigating, and am going to ask the dealer some more questions, but I would appreciate any other impartial advice.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by SteelSpark on 06/09/2009 at 02:45

Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - ifithelps
Ford Direct cars are ex-management, hire, fleet etc and are held in stock at dealers and on a central database, giving you a wider choice than just the physical stock at your local dealer.

Dealers are also register their own demos to use for test drives for prospective purchasers.

These cars will be used by staff at the dealer - salesmen, and other managers entitled to a company car.

They are sold off, as you have discovered, at around six months.

The demo will be locally registered, whereas the Ford Direct car could be registered anywhere in the country, not that I can see that makes any difference.

You will be the second keeper in both cases.

No reason not to buy a car from either source.

You can inspect the demo, whereas you will not be able to look at the Ford Direct car until it arrives, although the dealers do offer an exchange plan.

The main thing is you have chosen the best car in its class - if you like the demo and it's the right price, buy it.

Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - Falkirk Bairn
6mth old and 7,000 miles is probably a genuine dealer demo/sales car.

6 mth old 12,000-17,000 probably a day rental car.

EX-rental may not be a bad car but it should be a lot less £££s.

When Ford sell off ex-rental they are much cheaper than genuine ex- Ford Fleet cars.
Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - SteelSpark
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Do you think that the Direct vs. Non Direct issue potentially affects the resale value (i.e. do people pay a premium for Direct cars)?

Should I have any concerns about the warranty if the car is non-direct?

They have also shown me a Mondeo Zetec TDC 2.0 (silver, no extras) this morning, also a 6 month (09 reg) ex-demo/non-ford direct - which is tempting more than the Focus now. Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on what would be considered a good deal price wise (have been trying to use Parkers to check prices recently, but am wondering if the current market is pushing prices even lower).

Thanks again for your help.
Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - Blue {P}
It makes little difference at that age whether the car is Ford Direct or just second hand via the Ford dealership, when I worked for Ford the cars that came via Ford Direct only had a 2 year warranty regardless of age.

Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - bonzodog
I would guess either would be as good a 6 month old Ford as you can get. My only question mark is that the Ford Direct car has 6 month less warranty than the demo car.
Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - Marc
I've had both and they were from the same main dealership. First was a 6 month old Mondeo under Ford Direct (first owner was a company) and the second a year old Galaxy previously owned by a private individual which wasn't Ford Direct.

On the Ford Direct car you got a comprehensive two year FD warranty which ran concurrently with the manufacturer's three year one. I also got a Ford Direct tax disc holder and keyring. The car had an RAC inspection sheet also. Ford Direct were doing an offer at the time where every one of their cars got two free service vouchers included.

The salesman explained to me that the cars were bought on an almost auction like basis from a central stocklist. All the cars were supposedly reconditioned by Ford, but to be honest the condition between the 10 or so Mondeos they had did vary. I personally picked out a very clean one that appeared 'as new'.

On the Galaxy I simply got the remainder of the manfacturer's three year warranty.

The key thing is to buy on condition IMO.

Incidentally the Mondeo turned out be a bit of a lemon. The Galaxy we still have and are very happy with it.
Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - Bill Payer
First was a 6 month old Mondeo under Ford Direct (first owner was a company)

Incidentally the Mondeo turned out be a bit of a lemon.

I suppose it's a rare event but you do wonder if sometimes the car might have come back early due to repeated problems. Peugeot took a couple of 406's back from our company early due to issues with the HPi petrol engine.
Ford Direct vs Ford Authorised Dealership - ifithelps
...Just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on what would be considered a good deal price wise...

Ah, I wondered when the vexatious question of money would appear.

You don't say exactly what you're buying, but you can be sure the Ford dealer will have gone in fairly hard, particularly as you have been in the premises in person.

That is, they will not have asked you for £15,000 for a car they are prepared to sell for £12,000.

If you are serious about one of the cars and have no p/ex, you could try offering £750 under the asking price, but be prepared to do a deal at £400 - £600.