Omega Whine - KM
Hi All, first post so please be gentle! Have recently joined the ranks of the (seemingly) numerous Omygod, sorry Omega owners here. My '96 2.5 CD manual petrol, 86,000 miler, has been fine for the first few months of ownership but has now developed a loud medium-high pitched turbine/fan like noise that increases with speed.

If I coast in neutral it still increases with speed, so assume it not to be connected with the engine. It is very difficult to pinpoint exactly which part of the vehicle it is coming from, but an assistant reckoned it to be louder when sitting in the back of the car.

It is not a low, rumbling or metal-on-metal type of sound that I would associate with a knackered bearing. But then again it is a long time since I had trouble of this nature.

Is it trouble with the diff or the axle?, I think that this has been mentioned in this forum previously.

SWMBO reckons there is a smell of 'burning rubber' from the front end after the car has been driven, but this may not be connected with the noise problem.
Omega Whine - David Lacey
Have you checked the car-by-car breakdown? Not sure what's there.

I'd get it checked out ASAP, it could be dangerous or it could cause you a lot more heartache and cost you more cash to repair it if you leave it..

MG-Rover Questions? forums.mg-rover.org/
Omega Whine - KM
Thanks for the reply Dr. Anyone out there with a similar 'noise' problem on an Omega?
Omega Whine - Mark (RLBS)
If it was the fan, and mine make quite a turbine-like noise, then road speed would affect the noise - at least, in the form of wind speed.

If not that, does braking have any effect on the noise ?