Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Hector Brocklebank
For the great majority of people driving is a chore and the car is no more than a wheeled washing machine, a domestic appliance. However, I'm sure that among most members of the backroom, there is a deeper appreciation of motoring and its nicities and perhaps even a genuine enthusiasm for driving. For the most part though, driving is indeed a chore and nothing more than a means of getting where you are going. Heavy traffic, dull roads, boring cars and general stress ensure as much.

It seems to me that for those who find it possible to derive pleasure from driving, it is best to have a separate car for recreational use. The trouble is, what form does this 'recreation' take? Discuss the relative merits of; owning a classic that can be enjoyed on Sundays and taken to shows etc, owning a pukka performance/sports car eg elise/boxster et al, getting involved in some kind of club level motorsport eg national saloons/FFord/stage rallys etc or simply having a track day toy like a caterham/ex-race car to throw on a trailer of a Sunday morning.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Robin Reliant
For me it would be a kit car. Something I have put together myself that stands out from the crowd, be it a Ferrari lookalike or a Cobra clone at a fraction of the cost of the real thing. Ownerhip would be a labour of love as well as bringing driving pleasure.

I suspect however, that many kit cars look far better than they drive. But I can dream.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - gordonbennet
I think some pleasure can still be gained by driving, but it must be in a competent, pleasant and preferably unusual car.
The thought of owning one of the millions of euroclone boxes fills me with horror, i just do not want one.

I don't want an out and out sports car either, i want comfort and effortless performance, preferably with a torque converter super smooth box to make traffic crawls a chore of ease.
I wouldn't get enough use from a weekend car so prefer to run a useable daily driver.

I suppose care comes into the equation too, if the car is a neglected heap that sees a wash when it rains, and serviced when it breaks it will feel like it and give no joy, whereas a cared for unusual car that drives perfectly and looks and is in better condition than vehicles half its age will give pleasure in return.

Luckily we all like different things, but thats my choice for making driving as enjoyable as it can be now.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Number_Cruncher
>>I don't want an out and out sports car either, i want comfort and effortless performance, preferably with a torque converter super smooth box to make traffic crawls a chore of ease.
I wouldn't get enough use from a weekend car so prefer to run a useable daily driver.

I can't imagine which car you're describing GB!

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - gordonbennet
I can't imagine which car you're describing GB!

And it wasn't till i became serious about selling it that i came to realise it's virtues, though to be fair it would have been replaced with another broadly similar motor.
My judgement was clouded by the wiring loom issues, but thats not so bad now in the grand scheme of ownership over time.

And you know exactly what i'm talking about, and you'd love it if your 300d was turbocharged....thinking about it if my Diesel saloon had been turbo'd i'd have kept that indefinately too..;)
Biggest mistake of all time for MB not to have sorted out the plumbing to turbocharge the 124 Diesel in RHD form, they'd have been one of the most desirable MB cars of all time...well to those of a certain taste anyway.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Rattle
Sometimes putting around in a Corsa B 1.2 16V on a nice empty suburban straight road when the sun is out is enjoyable.

The most enjoyable thing about is driving is realising the alternative. Walking three miles in the rain or spending time on a slow bus full of bratts playing RnB on their phones.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Sofa Spud
I think I got more enjoyment from my old Land Rover than any other vehicle I've owned, despite all my other vehicles being better handling, better built, more economical, more comfortable, quieter, faster, safer, more reliable and less corrosion-prone. Excellent brakes, though!

The Land Rover Defender has absolutely nothing going for it, on paper, unless you need to do serious off-road work or tow heavy trailers, but somehow it still appeals and I want another one.

I did do a bit of green laning and off-road trials. But on green lanes, once you've discovered that the Land Rover does what it says on the box, it's frankly more fun walking or mountain biking, which is what I do now.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/08/2009 at 23:32

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Mookfish
I suspect however, that many kit cars look far better than they drive. But I can dream.

I suspect you are right as most kit cars are based on running gear from 80's family cars.

>>The most enjoyable thing about is driving is realising the alternative. Walking three miles in the rain or spending time on a slow bus full of bratts playing RnB on their phones.

Couldn't agree more! Want to enjoy your regular driving more? Next time your car has to go to a garage, don't take the courtesy car but use public transport, you will realy apreciate driving after that!

Recent experience when my car had to go to a garage for some welding and new springs, daughter had an appointment 5 miles away. By car it takes less than 15 mins and costs next to nothing in fuel. By bus, and it's a single bus journey with about 300 yards of walking, 45 mins and £4.80.

Owning a car might be expensive, but using it is alot cheaper than public transport.
To be the bus is far cheaper. £11 a week and that was all my needs. I could get the night bus home too with that.

However I was wasting far too much time at bus stops going for jobs and if I had to pick up a computer to remove a nasty virus or a load of time consuming diagnostics I would have to arrange a lift.

The car does cost me more but I would never swap it for the bus :).
QUOTE:...""use public transport, you will realy apreciate driving after that!""

I disagree. When I used to drive to work, the occasional days when I needed to go by bus were a treat, apart from the extra time involved. But then I've always liked buses.

Indeed if I am going into town then I won't dream of taking my car. Parking costs more than any return bus fare (£3.50 day saver). I tend to drive to my nearest metrolink stop though which is about 1.2miles away then get the tram into town as its cheaper and quicker.

I find the car much better for coss county journeys where I am going from one small suburb for another.

I will always be pro public transport but it has its limits and I am sick of making Stagecoach rich. I told once wrote a sarcastic email to Stagecoach telling them thank you for putting up the price of your weekly ticket, you have just convinced more than ever now is a good time to buy a car :p.

I also much prefer to go on train to different parts of the country (assuming the service is decent) as I just sit back and relax.

I do sometimes also just go for a drive locally just out of boredom. Something I am amazed is still legal!

Edit I like buses but they do also my raise my blood preasure so much, they really need to get rid of the pay the driver system. Here they are all Enviro 400s so its pretty boring anyway as each bus is identical.

Edited by Rattle on 23/08/2009 at 23:44

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - BobbyG
I don't think you need a different car for weekends, just a different driving mentality.

When I had a Fabia vrS I used to use it for the daily work stop/start commute.
But then at weekends, I would give it a good wash and clean and have a good hoot in it, windows down, stereo up and blast round some country roads.

I miss that car :(
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - LikedDrivingOnce
For the great majority of people driving is a chore and the car is no more than a wheeled
washing machine, a domestic appliance.

Almost right in my case. I do find driving a chore, but like previous posters say, it is better than using most public transport. My ideal car accessory is a chauffeur!

However, I do have tremendous enthusiasm for cars, and indeed engineering in general. I also think that some cars are practically works of art. e.g. Ferrari 288 GTO, Aston Martin DB9, Jaguar E-type, Lamborghini Countach.

Also, the Back Room is a good read!
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - bathtub tom
KIA Pride!

'Cos it only cost me fifty quid and I can hammer it around, off road, on club events.

It's road legal too, so I've got a second car. I've just taken the back seats out (two nuts and two bolts) to make enough space to take a load of junk to the tip tomorrow.

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 24/08/2009 at 00:16

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - jase1
Any car has its redeeming qualities.

Even one that doesn't handle, drones like a dishwasher, steers as if you're wearing boxing gloves and has a gearchange like stirring treacle.

Getting to learn a car's little quirks and being able to drive it spiritedly despite them all is an enjoyable pastime in itself.

Then when you get back into your usual, properly-sorted car it feels all the better for it.

Daewoo Nubira -- saving owners of second-cars millions in boredom fees....
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Lud
Good heavens, need you ask?
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - 1400ted
Not much fun in driving now, except the occasions I can get out in the Jowett or on the bike. Much nicer in the 60s when the duchess and I were stepping out together.
We used to get the hood down on the Super Minx on a nice evening, drive out and pootle around the Cheshire lanes, do a bit of window shopping in Alderley Edge, Wilmslow or Knutsford and have a shandy somewhere.
Petrol too dear now, too many cars in a hurry and all the shop windows hidden behind steel........shame !
Must get these rose tinted specs cleaned.

Into my heart an air that kills from yon far country blows.
What are those blue remembered hills, what spires, what farms are those ?
That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain,
the happy highways where we went and cannot come again.
A.E.Houseman.

Ted
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - perro
I've owned many cars (ere he goes again!) and driven even more - Big cars, Little cars, Sports cars, some *VERY* fast cars - Stingrays, 911's, Lotus, Aston's, Jags, Bentleys, RR etc., etc.
To be quite honest, I'd much rather be on 2 wheels really, but its gotta be over 500cc mind.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - CGNorwich
For the great majority of people driving is a chore.

Is that true? I really enjoy driving - any car will do, I don't need anything special , its just the pleasure of being behind the wheel. Unlike many apparently, I find the process relaxing. When driving the mind is sufficiently occupied with the task to drive most thoughts and worries away without becoming bored. I find walking has a similar effect.

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - b308
I'm glad you said that, CG, I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that!! Like you the the of car doesn't matter, I just like driving!

Edited by b308 on 24/08/2009 at 10:54

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - CGNorwich
Glad there's someone else b308. I'm quite suprised how many people on a motoring forum don't really seem to like day to day driving very much.
The majority hate and fear driving, whether aware of it or not.
>>>The majority hate and fear driving, whether aware of it or not.<<<

Fear is a 'funny thing' mon ami - I walk along the Truro to Newquay road with my perro Milo and juggernauts pass within inches of me!
I do feel fear, but I still do that walk everyday *in spite* of it.
Fear, as in phobias - diminish with use, and can be used to acquire *The Edge*
Fear, as in phobias - diminish with use, and can be used to acquire *The Edge*

It isn't a phobia, it's just fear, usually suppressed so the person isn't aware of it. It doesn't give an 'edge', it takes the rational edge off people's driving, makes them react slowly or not at all to the few hazards they notice, and when they do react, often makes them overreact like Harry Enfield's Double-Take Brothers.

They hate and fear driving because they suspect they aren't competent. So they try not to think about it too much, do 'driving by numbers' and imagine that mimsing will keep them safe and legal. This prevents them from ever becoming competent.

The syndrome is so widespread and so obvious that it really depresses me.
A phobia is a fear Lud - an irrational fear.
Some people just aren't 'cut out' for driving whereas we 'just do it' without a 2nd thought.
I've known some fairly sassy people that just couldn't get 'the hang of it' ... one less mimser on the road :)
an irrational fear.

Exactly. But there's nothing irrational about fearing you may be too incompetent to be given charge of a ton and a half of metal and 140 bhp, when you actually are. That isn't phobia, it's just fear.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - focusman
hi
i love driving any excuse to get out in the car.
out and about in the peak district is still as nice even with the speed restrictions. i try to get out at least once a week. last sunday could not sleep so at 5.30am got up and set off in the car up to delamere forest, nice clear roads and a lovely morning, rabbits running down the side roads, birds singing. loved it
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Old Navy
Just wait until you are retired, most of your driving will be recreational, its great!
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - b308
How many rabbits did you get FM?!

Lud, I don't think that it just applies to mimsers, there are also those who go to the opposite extreme and drive too quickly just so they can "get it over with"... and my wife never mimsed, but never drove too quickly either, but hated driving... where did she fit into things, then?!
I don't think that it just applies to mimsers

No, it doesn't. There are what I call 'fast mimsers', as well as large numbers of young idiots in macho denial who can be very dangerous.
------------------------------>There are what I call 'fast mimsers'<---------------------------

Oh, I see - like a cool heatwave or a hasty slowcoach then!
You are being deliberately obtuse, dawg...

The essence of the mimser is unawareness, including ill-considered changes of speed or direction and failure to indicate intentions. They are usually, but not always, painfully slow as well.
"... and my wife never mimsed but never drove too quickly either but hated
driving... where did she fit into things then?!

>>
30 years ago I liked driving. I loved the freedom, and the challenge of trying to master the finer points of driving, e.g. the perfect gear change

Now, I agree with your wife's view. I'd like to know where I fit in with Lud's theory as well, but I think that he's definitely on to something.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Citroënian {P}
I've made the possibly financially ruinous decision to keep our MX5 when trading in our day to day citroen- don't _really_ need two cars.

However, this morning I've had a thoroughly good time on the greasy pennine hill roads around here in the Mazda. Haven't had to drive at warp speed to do it and with the roof off and some good tunes on the radio I feel lifted by the whole experience.

Will now get back into the citroen (which isn't a bad car to drive) and do the slog back over the M62.

Two separate things - fun and function. Would hate to have to drive the MX5 all day everyday as it would become very tiring on long motorway journeys, and the C4 (soon to be Octavia) is nice to drive but more practical and not as demanding - but isn't really a high days and holidays type of transport.

I think so long as you can (just about) afford it and you have easy access to good driving roads, the separation of fun and function is a luxury, but a nice one. It's not so long back that I gave two chaps a lift back to Keighley from the country roads around Huddersfield after their Caterham-type kit car caught fire in pretty much the middle of nowhere. Would love to have the skills to maintain a kit car, but I haven't so I can't :)

edit reason : used "to" not "two". Not sure I can still blame tiredness...

Edited by Citroënian {P} on 24/08/2009 at 17:11

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - stunorthants26
My wife and I regularily go on pleasure drives around the surrounding countryside, sometimes doing as much as 70 miles.
We pick an area, maybe some villages we havent seen before and tootle off. We try to stay off the main roads so we can plod along and enjoy the views.
We have discovered some hidden gems of places that are picture postcards virtually on our doorstep. Add the many fine pubs, some beside the canals or rivers and a drive out is a huge pleasure.
Yes a car for the purpose is an added bonus, but even in its raw form its a nice thing to do if you like to see things rather than glance at them at 80.
I would like something along the lines of a Daimler XJ40 for the task or perhaps I might stretch to something trashy like an 80's Cadillac.
A car is a key to freedom of mobility and I still love that very concept and enjoy it immensely despite the gree brigades best attempts to make me feel guilty!
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - RickyBoy
Mrs RickyBoy would have me drive her around the Cotswold back-roads for the rest of her days!

We can rack-up anything between 100-150 miles on a recreational round trip from MK in which ever direction we choose (Henley, Marlow, Windsor ? South. Broadway, Burford, Cirencester ? West. Kenilworth, Stratford, Warwick ? North'ish, etc.) without even giving it a second thought. Funnily enough we rarely venture East ? too flat!

I generally try to get to the proposed starting-point as quickly as possible (usually very possible with a 7:30am Sunday start!) but then am happy to pootle around minor A, B and C-roads simply following our noses for the remainder of the day. I occasionally have to refer to the OS Explorer ? to locate a new D-road ? but when you're not in a hurry, which surely is the whole point of recreational driving, the stop/start aspect really doesn't trouble me.

Interestingly, we live approx 2-miles from M1/J14 but if ever heading to say Eton, Brighton or the London airports at the present time I simply refuse to use the M1/M25 during daylight hours for the duration of those current M25 roadworks, much preferring the drive via Aylesbury (unpleasant to cross during school term time!), Amersham, Denham or Beaconsfield (to pick-up the M40), even though it can add 20/25-mins to the journey time.

You'll have to call by and 'sweep us up' on one of your next jaunts through Bucks stu ? hah!
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - retgwte
my favourite recreational car is a hire car, fully insured, driven abroad, somewhere without silly speed cameras and with better quality road police, all of the normal worries of driving removed, can be quite fun to drive up and down the coast as a tourist or whatever, park up in towns that actually welcome drivers, drive down roads that have not been thinned in a misguided way, drive on roads where the fashions of UK councils and road designers have not arrived - and never will

other than that I fancy a late Suzuki Ignis Sport as a knock about fun car, it'll never happen, should have bought one new ages ago

ah well

Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Bagpuss
I love driving my 15 year old W124 Merc Coupe on a warm day with all the windows down and the sunroof open. It even makes driving to the supermarket an occasion. Very relaxing and a surprisingly different driving experience to a modern car.
Interesting comments above about how many people actively fear driving, I think that is very true. I don't think that many people have any real 'feel' for a car and for what it's doing, most do indeed just operate it like an appliance. Of course, time was when to be a motorist, one had to posess a sound mechanical knowledge and enthusiasm for what was essentially an expensive hobby.

As it happens, I do derive a passive pleasure from driving on a day-to-day basis, so long as I'm not sitting in traffic or the weather's foul. I'm really asking what is the best course of action for someone wanting to make a hobby out of it? I reckon that, bangs-for-buck, going motor-racing makes more sense than owning and running a sports/performance car as a weekend toy or indeed main car. There simply isn't the opportunity to enjoy such things as they were designed to be enjoyed, not just because of speed cameras, but with traffic density as it is the situations where you can have real fun are few and far between. Also, I think that modern performance cars are so competent that to go anywhere near the limit will get you into prison-sentence territory, doing speeds that are simply inappropriate in a world full of terrified mimsers and little old ladies pulling out of side turnings without seeing you.
That's all pretty sensible HB. I would add though that for anyone who might feel a bit old for 'going motor racing', mixing it with mad 18-year-olds in a Caterham or something, there are other branches of motor sport including hillclimbs, drag racing and trials (mud-plugging). Most categories cater for old cars as well as new ones or anything-goes specials.

I've often wished I could afford the time and money for something like that actually. Something not too horrendously expensive like a chain drive Frazer Nash for example.

Meantime I will just have to get what pleasure I can lumbering about in commonplace cars on mimser-stuffed (and I use the word 'stuffed' advisedly) roads. More than you might think to hear me talk actually.
I find trying to hit a constant target of 45mpg in the city makes driving a little fun, because it forces you to think ahead and change down early etc.

I make sure I get pleasure out of every gear change and every corner. That said I know my rat runs around south Manchester and I will go the easiest most pleasurable way not the quickest or shortest.

Apparantly this is against the highway code and probably even ilegal but everytime I go 1 mile further I am helping peoples state pensions :).
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - mike hannon
Lud - nice one again. ;-)
Only trouble is, a chain-drive FN now requires an MP's expenses to buy.
It's enough to make you swear...
Is there anyone in the backroom with any experiences of competing in Motorsport?
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - bathtub tom
Yo!

Only at a very low club level.

If anyone's around Bedfordshire on Sep 13, I'll gladly let them share my car on a grass autotest.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - BobbyG
"I make sure I get pleasure out of every gear change and every corner. "

Really????
I think Rattle's easily pleased!
The mind boggles at the thought of Rattle's gearchanges. Especially as he thinks that 'changing down in good time' is an economy move.

Of course we have all learned to love him, even on Saturday nights after his usual twenty-four pints, but his descriptions of his own motoring tend slightly to make one curl up.

Go for it Rattolo! Give that little blue thing an Italian tuneup. I bet it needs one by now.

Be careful though my dear fellow. We'd hate to lose you.
I think that Rattle should perhaps dabble in a spot of high-performance motoring like a driving experience or even just karting, learning to control a car on the 'edge' helps one develop a 'feel' for the machinery that is very useful even at ordinary speeds.

I'd like to know what backroomer's think is the best way to get involved in motorsport. I really enjoy driving in the right circumstances and think I have the potential to develop my skills at a higher level.
QUOTE:....""Interesting comments above about how many people actively fear driving..""

I think this is a hidden problem, driving phobia, even amon experienced drivers, even among car enthusiasts. I will admit to being scared of driving sometimes, usually before a long journey. This is despite having had an almost accident-free driving career for 37 years (a couple of minor bumps, neither my fault!), having had no motoring convictions except a parking ticket, driving all sorts of vehicles including a spell as an HGV driver. When I'm driving I'm calm and focused, it's when I'm not behind the wheel that I can get an attack of pre-driving nerves.
CONFESSION: I am always on edge when driving and have sought professional help for it.

I have had two accidents where I was sitting in my STATIONARY car minding my own business, when someone ran in to me. This really emphasises the important fact that no matter how good a driver you are, your fate may be in the hands of others. It was after the second such accident that I went for professional help. (It does help a bit)

I still love cars as objects of admiration, but my sole aim in motoring is to get from A-to-B as safely as possible these days.
Fear can have a positive effect on driving - it keeps you alert to danger & 'on the ball'
But some people can be too fearful which would effect their driving and hence their own and indeed others safety.
I'll wager that a lot of 'young bloods' that come to grief on our roads are fearless as I know from being young myself a long, long, time ago.
On the other hand - I personally know of Alcoholics and class A drug users that drive London buses, London underground trains and coaches.
Recreational motoring - your thoughts. - Armstrong Sid
I'll wager that a lot of 'young bloods' that come to grief on our roads
are fearless as I know from being young myself a long long time ago.

I think they are fearless through being ignorant of what is happening and what might happen. You see kids driving along at a speed which is dangerous for the circumstances, and they appear to be totally relaxed about it - talking to their mates in the car or deafening themselves with their hifi.

They are relaxed because they aren't considering "at this speed what would happen if something pulled out of a side road now?" or "at this speed do I know what is around the next corner".

Their motto seems to be "Happiness is ignorance is bliss"
>>>Their motto seems to be "Happiness is ignorance is bliss"<<<

Being an ex biker, I drive 'on the defensive' and can see potential accidents before they happen (usually) 'Young bloods' have always been fearless with an "it won't happen to me" attitude ... until :-(