Test drove VRS Today. - midlifecrisis
Finally went and test drove a Skoda Octavia VRS today. Asked for a VRS diesel, but when I turned up it was a pre-facelift! Wasn't really keen to bother, but salesman thought I could 'get a feel of the engine'!!!!! Still, gave it a go and came back somewhat underwhelmed by the experience. Salesman must have sensed my reaction, because he asked me to try a facelift VRS estate (petrol DSG). Gave that a go, purely to test the quality. Well, it was in a different league as far as I'm concerned. The interior quality is streets ahead of a pre-facelift. It felt like a completely different car. It was well specced with Columbus sat nav and MFSW, but it definitely stopped me walking away completely. However, I would want a manual gearbox and for some reason, you can't have a multi-function steering wheel without the DSG gearbox. Very odd! I can't remember the last time I had to touch my stereo controls on the move.

It drove very nicely indeed and felt very solid and well built.

Still mulling over a decision. It would come down to figures at the end of the day, but very much liked the car.
Test drove VRS Today. - akr
This is why I bought a new Golf GTi. I'm bored with diesel and the engine in the GTi is awesome compared to the hot Golf diesels. I have a manual but also drove the DSG. I liked both but ultimately, since the Golf is so expensive I didn't want to pay the extra £1300 or so for DSG. However, even if cost wasn't an issue I'd still have chosen the manual for driver involvement, especially on a car like that. Automatics always remind me of boring American hire cars!!!!
So I say sod the expense buy the petrol.
Test drove VRS Today. - Mr.Tee43
By coincidence, I called in our local Skoda dealers on Sunday just to have a shufty at the new facelifted VRS. As It was almost closing time, I didn't take much time to talk to the salesman, but he told me that at present, they did not have the new VRS but they did have one of the limited edition of 500, which is basically the pre facelift with the new interior and some extra kit thrown in and the new common rail 170 diesel engine.

The leather seats are unique to that particular car, but I have to say that the interior, both quality and finish looks top class.

The engine in their demonstator has the 170 bhp common rail engine in, so even if I wanted a Facelifted version, I can still get a feel for the interior and how good the engine is.

I too was a bit dissapointed that you cannot have a multi function steering wheel unless you have the DSG gearbox.

I would be interested to hear how you felt the diesel drove if yours was the 170 CR and how did you find the DSG ?

The diesel was a manual. It drove ok and had plenty of poke, but you know it's a diesel. I'd like to try the engine in a facelift, as I feel the soundproofing would probably be better. I thin I could live with it without a problem.

The DSG was nice as a novelty. The paddle shift on the MFSW worked well, but I'm a 'manual man' through and through.

Test drove VRS Today. - Pugugly
I had a go in an A4 with the new engine - not sure of the engine size but I doubt whether it was the 170. Silky smooth it was. Friend has an A3 with the 170 PD - it is typically PD in not being smooth (i.e. rough but don't tell the many PD fans on here !)
Test drove VRS Today. - El Hacko
on my second A3, and two years with current DSG box has pretty well ensured I'll return to manual change next time. Wonderfully smooth gearchanges, but far from smooth (too jerky) accelerations - bit like driving with handbrake on! Combine that with wicked cost of putting right any DSG probs out of warranty, then back to a clutch, pse. One of my sons has a GTi petrol with DSG which needed replacement main control unit at 15k miles (under warranty).
Test drove VRS Today. - harib
I dunno... I am a PD fan, but I'm the first to admit that the PD engine sounds like a bag of bolts, wrapped in another bag of bolts.

I was walking behind an 09 plate A3 the other day, which had the CR diesel engine in it. The difference, just when idling, is night and day compared to the PD. I haven't driven one though, so can't compare what it's like to drive.
Test drove VRS Today. - Mr.Tee43
Well my Bora is a 130 TDI PD and I know what you mean about "roughness". Some days it feels quite smooth and others quite harsh.

BUT

The shove from that engine in the midrange is just so addictive. Coming back from Germany and back up the M1 this weekend I had various "do's" with drivers who like to get right up close to your rear bumper, sometimes when it's obvious I am waiting for the car in front to overtake another car in front of him etc.

It's just great when the road ahead clears, and I just floor the throttle in fifth or more usually 6th and my car just romps away from them.

Had a tussle with a newish BMW 320 petrol who would insist on getting really close in the 50 average speed limlt camera zones .Despite the signs telling drivers to stay in their lane, he would insist on using bullying tactics to try to force me over .

Same scenario, 50 limit cleared, foot down and cleared off again . Only later nearer home when we were going downhill near my exit did he roar past in mock victory.

All this and an average of 54mpg for the trip.

Brilliant.

And Yes, I know some people will ring their hands but a bit of sport like this makes the trip pass a bit quicker.

Edited by Mr.Tee43 on 17/08/2009 at 19:21

I must point out the pre facelift diesel I drove was a common rail, not PD. Pretty quiet, but it will always sound and feel like a diesel. It's the economics of running costs and resale value that would sell it to me.
Test drove VRS Today. - DP
The shove from that engine in the midrange is just so addictive.

Couldn't agree more Mr.Tee. What impresses me most is the astonishing performance / economy compromise. A car that manages to feel genuinely quick in day to day use, but which will crack 50 mpg in out of town use, with no effort on the part of the driver. It's astonishing IMHO.
Test drove VRS Today. - ForumNeedsModerating
I was talking to a VRS 170 diesel owner pre-facelift (the car, not mine or his!) & he enthused over it. He also informed me there is an 'approved' (i.e. not warranty breaking) chipping option to boost PS to 190-ish (..and torque as well I'd imagine).

I thought the build & interior were pretty good before the facelift (I owned a Superb elegance on '05-6, so comparable) - from what I read here, it must be magnifigicent now & much,much better than my W203 C-class.

Does the facelifted VRS petrol get the slighlty updated (208 PS?) engine too?
Test drove VRS Today. - rtj70
If I do a quote for a Octavia vRS on our fleet system, there is an option for a three spoke multi-function steering wheel at £417.39. If I quote for a DSG then this one is still an option but you can the paddles too.

So I'd double check on the options available.
I got the salesman to ring Skoda UK up and they confirmed you have to have a DSG gearbox for the MFSW.
Test drove VRS Today. - rtj70
So the lease company's website we use is wrong ;-)
Test drove VRS Today. - J1mbo
That's for the bluetooth, but you need the MFSW! Which only goes with the DSG! Doh!
Test drove VRS Today. - Altea Ego
TBH the VAG group MFSW is carp. Its not intuative, nor is it easy to use, nor does it fit easily to finger. Mine is broke, and if it wasnt for the fact the horn is duff with it, then i would leave it broke.

Unlike the Renault set up.
Thought the one in the Skoda was very easy to use. Much better than reaching across to mess with the stereo. Very strange and a big minus point not to offer one in a manual car.
Test drove VRS Today. - Pugugly
PD roughness - the Roomie was a 105bhp PD - it was noisy but had loads of oomph and was reasonably economical - I liked it.