auto-box reliability and characteristics? - AllFumbs
Hello, all.

I'm considering a small-ish diesel automatic and note Mitsubishi appears to have deleted that model from the Colt range. Does anyone have experience of it, please, preferably high-mileage?

Another forumeer had commented in passing on the Colt's auto-box's 'woeful reliability' (I think were the words) and it alarmed me: hitherto, I've always run bangers and if I buy a recent-ish car I don't want it to be an expensive mistake.

And could anyone say how the (AMT?) auto-box's driving-characteristics compare with, or contrast to, a conventional i.e. torque-converter, automatic's?

Thank you,

AF.
Sorry, forgot to add: in photos the (Mitsu' Colt auto) gear-lever looks just like a manual one. How do you actually drive the thing?

Thanks,

AF.
auto-box reliability and characteristics? - welshlad
as far as iunderstand it a AMT gearboxs is the same as a manual the only difference is it iscontrolled electronically rather then with a clutch i.e the car reads the movement of the stick rather then you pushing the clutch, its a combination of a manual and an automatic but the car itself is driven like a manual
auto-box reliability and characteristics? - J500ANT
I wouldnt. This set up in the mechanically identical smart forfour is extremely troublesome.
Thanks, welshlad and J500ANT: you've saved me a lot of bother. Respectively, I neither want to be changing gear by hand every few seconds nor taking it to the garage every few weeks.

(Mitsubishi must've dropped the AMT diesel-auto' for a reason.)

So I'll have a look at the Toyota Yaris (or Corolla) with MMT 'box: any opinions on that, please?

Thanks again,

AF.
auto-box reliability and characteristics? - carl_a
(Mitsubishi must've dropped the AMT diesel-auto' for a reason.)

Yep because Mercedes wouldn't build the diesels any more for them.
auto-box reliability and characteristics? - stunorthants26
>>So I'll have a look at the Toyota Yaris (or Corolla) with MMT 'box: any opinions on that, please?<<

Im currently driving around in an 08 Yaris diesel MMT. It is useless. Jerky, changes gear just when you dont want it to and especially coming to a standstill, thumps down the gears very harshly giving engine braking you dont ask for.
It is not even smoother than my old Smart Fortwo, which, you could slur the changes quite well with practice.
The engine is lovely, the gearbox wants binning.

auto-box reliability and characteristics? - gordonbennet
The engine is lovely the gearbox wants binning.

Stu, think of how much better for the environment that box must be compared to the 1.2 mpg worse it would be as a proper auto, you know deep in your heart being hurled forwards and backwards in the seat is such a small price to pay, 'ahh to be sure you're a saint' (said in my old Mums Co Clare brogue)..;)

I'll get me coat...
Much as I like the enviroment, Im not convinced these are any better - stick this box on a petrol Yaris and I doubt it would be any better than the misses proper auto Sirion - the diesel is only giving us 43 mpg vs the Sirions 38mpg - I wonder what the petrol Yaris would do in real world driving - somewhere south of 40 I reckon.
What is highly amusing is that our Sirion runs the previous model Yaris engine/box combo, which is better than its replacement set-up. If it wasnt for the diesel torque on our hire car, it would be even worse to drive.
Just checked the figures for our Yaris - apparently it should do combined of 62 mpg - and we are getting 43 - what the petrol would do doesnt bare thinking about.
Thanks, carl_a, gordonbennet and stunorthants26.

Looks like the Yaris diesel 'auto' is off my list, too.

So I'd best throw the question open: if you were looking for a reliable, economical, small-ish diesel with an as-near-as-dammit proper auto-box, that has been sold for long enough and in sufficient quantities for it to be available inexpensively secondhand, what would it be?

Or if the diesel/proper auto combination just isn't available, what would be your choice of small-ish petrol auto?

(I do a sub-60-mile round-trip m'way commute thrice-weekly, solo, and a 170-mile A-road round-trip every couple of months two- or four-up and with luggage. And though not a heavy car-user, exactly, I can't abide noisy cars. So perhaps I oughtn't limit my choice to just the 'small-ish'. I am, in fact, casting my eye in the direction of the Skoda Superb: bigger than I need for my commute but handy for when loaded to the gunwhales. And a woofly 1.9 turbodiesel with a DSG auto does appeal rather. It's belt-cam, though, with which I'm uncomfortable.)

(Sorry if I'm asking too much, by the way.)

AF.
auto-box reliability and characteristics? - Parick_adi
All diesel engines were dropped when the Colt received a face-lift 2008/2009.

I am a driving instructor and have a COLT Diesel AMT for my tuition vehicle, 38,000 miles in the first year.

The gear change is not as smooth as a torque converter auto.

Reliability - it has had the gear change actuator replaced at 17,900 miles.

Economy - 48 to 50 mpg due to lots of slow driving teaching manoeuvres. Will do 65 @ 65 on dual-carriageways.
Sometimes gets erratic tick-over due to slow driving. Giving it a blast at 4,000 rpm in 2nd for a mile or two will sort that out.

Don't bother driving it it semi-auto mode much.

Similar technology is available from FORD Durashift and VW DSG transmissions, but those manufacturers use TWO clutches for their systems and give a smoother gear change.