Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - legacylad
Without being too specific, a 'neighbour' was woken up last week by a knock on the door and a white van parked outside bearing the words 'HM Customs & Excise Fuel Testing Unit'.
It was generally common knowledge that this person was filling his commercial, and private cars, from a tank at the rear of the property.
If red diesel was being used, what are the consequences?
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Woodspeed
Provided that the vehicles tested were NOT on private property or land at the time. Otherwise the argument can be used that the vehicles were not being used on the road. Nothing to say that to use on the road they could be drained and refilled with legal fuel. A good solicitor............
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Dwight Van Driver
The gospel on red diesel by HM Customs and Excise.

tinyurl.com/jyd5w

Tis said on or off road not allowed ?

dvd
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Hamsafar
It is prohibited for use in ANY vehicle EVER registered to be used on the road with a couple of very specific exceptions, even if used off road.

I thought they were/had got rid of red diesel and you have to pay the full price and claim the rebate retrospectively?
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Chris White
I always assumed that tractors used red diesel and the same machines were driven on the road, as well as used in the fields?
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Old Navy
I have a friend who is a farmer and he is very careful to only take his red fueled tractors onto the road for directly related agricultural use. Some people have had problems with HMC&E for using red fueled tractors at shows or in transit to events.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Dwight Van Driver
>>>>I always assumed that tractors used red diesel and the same machines were driven on the road, as well as used in the fields? <<<<<

use in connection with agricultural purposes only. Not jolly riding to Great Yorkshire Show......

dvd
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - quizman
A pal of mine called at the pub, on his tractor, for a quick one on his way back home after a days ploughing. His tank was dipped by the authorities and he was prosecuted for using red diesel for non agricultural use.
I don't know what the outcome was, but you can only use red diesel on the road for agricultural purposes.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Chris White
Ahhh, right, I understand now. The next time I'm behind a tractor on the road I can impress my travelling companions with my knowledge.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - ifithelps
Cousins of mine had two farms several miles apart and they got permission from Customs and Excise to move machinery between the two.

As another poster has said, red diesel is going to be abolished in favour of a duty rebate scheme.
Yes you can move machinery between 2 farms as this is an agricultural operation. You do not have to have permission from anybody.

AFAIK red diesel is not going to be abolished, don't forget it is used mainly in fields. The idea of taxing fuel was to maintain the roads.

I would like a fuel rebate scheme. The red diesel is of inferior quality to Derv, it is causing problems on new common rail tractor engines, blocking filters.

Red diesel has got more sulphur in as well, I have never and will never put red in my cars.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - ifithelps
... You do not have to have permission from anybody...

Quizman,

I think they knew that, but the journey involved passing through a small town.

That might have aroused suspicion because, as you know, the furthest field for most farms would only be a short journey along a minor road.

On t'other hand, I suppose you could be taking the machinery/tractor to be repaired, or sold, which presumably is an allowable use for red diesel.

I used to fill the tractors on our farm using a jerry can.

The red diesel would "fob" - foam up - much more than the ordinary stuff.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/02/2009 at 19:26

Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - jag
the filter blocking problem with common rail tractor engines seems to apply to only one
make, the green ones with yellow wheels. that's put the cat amongst the pigeons. jag.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - 659FBE
I used to test diesel engines for a living. In order to keep costs within limits (these were big engines undergoing endurance testing) we used red fuel. The implications in terms of security and documentation arising from the storage of untaxed white fuel were such that this was just not a viable option - even though it was a military establishment.

So, 9000 litres of red fuel later the engines were set to work. Red fuel is not necessarily inferior to white, I specified the fuel needed for the test (sulphur content, cetane etc) and had the dye added at source.

Pity we wasted all of the energy produced - the whole lot...
Jag, have you been looking at the "British Farming Forum"?
On that site John Deeres are slagged off like VWs are on this site. Needless to say I have a John Deere and I am very pleased with it, just like I'm pleased with the VWs!
By the way townies, John Deeres are green with yellow wheels.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Vansboy

>>I have a John Deere and I am very pleased with it just
By the way townies John Deeres are green with yellow wheels.

I had an LDV 200 colour changed, from white to John Deere green, for a customer, to match his tractor.

Van looked really smart, too.

& regarding confiscated vehicles, with red in them, there aren't quite as many as you'd think, showing in auction these days. Always well described by auctiuoneer, if you did buy one, that you're not to use it on the road, 'till all traces red are removed!

Best blatant use of red, I ever saw, was a late plate Land Rover 90, bought &driven out of Peterborough auction, into the car park. Occupants then remove a 25lt container from back of another vehicle, stand it on roof of LR, syphon pipe from drum, to LR. The opaque container, clearly had red, rather than white diesel in it.

Wonder how long they got away with it for!!??

VB
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - Pugugly
Been a spate of prosecutions around here - Police have dip-sampling kits, they were using them on road checks.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - jag
like i said, that's stirred up the deeroids. i have a vw and am pleased with it. jag.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - pmh2
IIRC at one time it was common (mal)practice for some vehicles to have an additional 'hidden' tank that was filled with red, and a changeover valve in the control of the driver. Random carpark dipping wopuld then always show legit fuel in the normal tank. I remember a story of a 'stroppy?' farmer who allowed himself to be tested, with red fuel in the normal tank, and when the revenue were convinced that he was banged to rights was able to demonstrate that the fuel line from the outer tank went nowhere! He was actually running on the duty paid fuel from the permanently connected hidden tank!

p
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - none
The diesel hire fleet I work on are hired out with minimum fuel in the tank. We don't have refuelling facilities, so the van's and truck's go out usually about quarter full, and are expected to be returned about the same.
Occasionally a vehicle is returned with red diesel in the tank, we find out when balancing fuel between vehicles (ensuring that each goes out about a quarter full).
We don't check 'em all and I've often wondered who would be responsible if a roadside check revealed that the hired vehicle was running on red diesel ?
It could have been there at the time of hiring, or could have been refuelled with the stuff. Who could prove what, and who would end up paying ?
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - grumpyscot
I would have thought that your hire contract woud prohibit the use of red diesel, in view of the potential problams that may ensue.
Possibly using red diesel...consequences of.. - oldnotbold
I think your hire contract needs re-writing to the effect that a vehicle returned from hire with red will be charged a full tank/fuel system clean-out at £large - the vehicle probably is leased by the hire co., not owned, and so the ramifications of it being dipped and found with red are huge.