Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - cilvilservant
Hello all

I would be grateful for some advice please. I'm trying to understand the implication of having a company car. I think I understand most of the pitfalls (and benefits) but am failing miserably with the Benefit in Kind aspect.

For example, on What Car company car tax calculator (and others), I get a figure for the tax payable at 20% or 40% per annum. Simple enough. But there's another amount, usually around £4K pa which is the Benefit in Kind.

Do company car users pay the Benefit in Kind and if so, do they pay the full tax and the BIK together? Or just the tax and the employer pays the BIK?

Cheers.

Shaun
Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - Bill Payer
The company car has a "benefit in kind" value. You pay tax on that value.
Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - commerdriver
The benefit in kind figure is calculated as a percentage of the LIST price, the actual percentage varies with the CO2 figure.
You then deduct any contribution you pay for the car
You then pay tax on the net benefit in kind figure at your highest tax rate, either 20 or 40 percent.

Petrol card is taxed separately, don't have one so I don't know how that's done.

Used to be reductions for age / higher mileage but these no longer apply

Hope this helps
Thanks for the replies.

So if I have got this correct, for example, the BMW 318d has a BIK value of £4675 and car tax (40%) of £1870. The BIK percentage for this particular model is 18%.

Does this mean I will pay 18% of £4675 at £70 per month and then add £155pm (£1870/12) car tax which gives a grand total of £225pm month.

I think we may be getting closer to a real figure now so I appreciate your help guys!

Thank you.

Edited by cilvilservant on 23/01/2009 at 08:20

Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - SpamCan61 {P}
No, presumably the BIK figure of 4675 GBP PA is 18% of list price, so you pay 1870 GBP in tax on the car, assuming 40% taxpayer. i.e. 156 quid per month total.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 23/01/2009 at 08:42

Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - RichardW
No, not right yet. In your example the BIK is assessed at 18% of the list price (eg your £4675 gives a list price of £25,972). You are then taxed on this BIK at your normal highest rate - so if you are a lower rate tax payer you will pay 20% of £4675 = £935 pa / £77.92 pm, and as a higher rate tax payer you will pay 40% of £4675 = £1870 pa / £155.83 pm

As I have said before, provided you can get the car you want, a co car is almost a no brainer even for a higher rate tax payer - if someone could provide me with a financed, serviced, taxed, insured, MOTd £25k car for 25k miles a year for £155 pm I'll have two. It costs nearly that to run my 8 year old 80k Xantia that I only paid £3k for!
Oh no, it gets worst! I completely understand now so thanks very much!

I meant it gets better!
Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - craig-pd130

>>> if someone could provide me with a financed, serviced, taxed, insured, MOTd £25k car for 25k miles a year for £155 pm I'll have two <<<

I agree. Some people (my brother-in-law, for example) argue that you're *actually* paying nearly £400 per month for a company car, because that's the figure you're paying 40% BIK tax on, and you should just take the cash alternative instead.

I argue in return that if I took the cash (let's say £4,800), I would lose 40% in tax anyway, leaving me with £2,880 per year to purchase, tax, insure and service a family barge.

For me, it makes sense to have the car. Then servicing, tyres etc is not my problem.
My wife currently receives the car allowance - £6000 pa before deduction but her company are stopping this and giving people cars or the choice to opt out. We could opt out, continue to pay our loan at £177 per month, plus insurance, servicing etc. Or simply get rid of our car, clear the loan and pay a fixed price of £150 (approx).

Only downside is the loss of the allowance but it's all relative! At least depreciation won't hit us which is where we win as we have had 6 cars in 5 years (BMW, Audi, VW, Volvo etc) and we have lost a lot of money. A company car will give us the disclipline not to squander money!
Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - toontastic
I think you are making the mistake that a lot of people do in working out whether a company car is better of taking the cash for car allowance.

In your example of being offered £4,800 which gives you £2,880 after tax you also need to remember that you will not be paying the company car tax that you would be with the company car. Assume this is £155 p/m (£1860 pa) then what you have actually got to play with is £4,740 per year or £400 per month - like your brother said.

I'm not saying that its better to take the cash, getting a company car certainly is less hassle and gives you peace of mind over things like servicing, but I think that a lot of people misjudge the value of the cash for car alternative...

use this useful link to work out the cash alternative on a particular car....

extranet.lvl.co.uk/hosting/carportal/
Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - hxj
As I have said before provided you can get the car you want a co
car is almost a no brainer even for a higher rate tax payer - if
someone could provide me with a financed serviced taxed insured MOTd £25k car for 25k
miles a year for £155 pm I'll have two. It costs nearly that to run
my 8 year old 80k Xantia that I only paid £3k for!

Sadly it doesn't usually work like that! or everybody would have one!

I can now have a "no cost to you" company car - only thing I pay for is fuel.

Well not really - A BMW320d Msport touring 25k miles a year and replaced after two years for a total all in cash cost to me of £8,000 a year.

Looks like I won't be changing!

Benefit in Kind & Company Car tax - Vansboy
Always thought it a 'joke', that I had to pay £500/year as BIK, for my Maestro van, which I bought, with MY £$£$ (my own companies cash) when it wasn't even worth that much, after a few years!!

& often wondered why, when youy see so many big businesses, shiny, new, liveried vans, in supermarket/DIY sheds, car parks, collecting personal shopping, at weekends.

That was until I discovered that HM Gov were paying overtime, to tax officials, to sit in said carparks, to assess this situation & ensure the users of the vans would be made to pay ther share.

Or not!!

VB