DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - Rattle
www.parkers.co.uk/News/News/Cheap-Breathalysers/

Quite an interesting article, I wonder how many people have used them and thought it was safe? I think the only real sure way is if you drink a lot the night before don't drive the next day.

{link to rival site made non clickable}

Edited by Honestjohn on 02/01/2009 at 02:40

DIY brathalysers are useless fakes - b308
Would agree, though they only tested the sub £15 ones, there are a lot in the £50/70 range (including one that is supposibly recomended by Stirling Moss) - I'd be interested to see them tested... The header should really read "Low cost DIY..."

Edited by b308 on 01/01/2009 at 18:31

DIY brathalysers are useless fakes - Rattle
Yeah indeed although as even the £50 are still no real guarentee its safe and if in accurate it would not mean a thing in court.
DIY brathalysers are useless fakes - b308
I'm surprised that people even consider using it as a defence! Whilst it might not be a defence it would be interesting to know their accuracy... though I'm like you, I just don't bother drinking if I'm going to work, instant sack doesn't appeal!
DIY brathalysers are useless fakes - Hamsafar
I cant believe people would trust it any more than guessing!
DIY brathalysers are useless fakes - rtj70
No need for one. We should know the limits and how long to get out of the system. Using one is trying to get too close to the limit.

AutoExpress reviewed them in the double xmas issue.... they were inaccurate. I suspect that programme we posted about where there were drink drivers had one that was not accurate either.

Morale is... don't drive if you have been drinking. Simple really.
DIY brathalysers are useless fakes - Robin Reliant
I remember when the brethaliser first appeared having one of those blow in the bag and watch the colour of the crystals types that the police used to use. I presume it was exactly the same spec and accurate, I worked out I was good enough for 2.1/2 pints.

I was young and foolish then and don't touch alcohol at all now.
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - FocusDriver
If the law states we are legally entitled to have up to 0.8/ alcohol it seems reasonable to want to test ourselves occasionally (if you're doing it every day there's a deeper problem). But you only need to see these mickey mouse breathalysers to realise they're fashioned from a mixture of low profit margin, high volume and inaccuracy.

A friend of mine who left the police had a proper one but even that was useless unless you could officially calibrate it.

There used to be ana rgument for having breathalysers installed in cars into which you should blow in order for the engine to start. I suppose, in time, cars will speak to us and chastise potential drink-drivers while simultaneously alerting the authorities. But I only went to get the Mars Bar from my glovebox sir...

Edited by Honestjohn on 02/01/2009 at 02:40

DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - uk_in_usa
There used to be ana rgument for having breathalysers installed in cars into which you
should blow in order for the engine to start.

From Jan 1 this is the law in Illinois even for your first DUI. You have to pay for them to fit a breathlyzer thingy into your car which you have to blow into for that car to start up. Not only that, it constantly requires you to blow into it while driving as well, apparently! That's presumably if you can afford the insurance. It must be very reassuring for your passengers too I'd have thought.
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - captain chaos
Hope they make a better job of it than the dreaded seat belt/ignition interlock way back in 1974. What a non starter that was...
I'll get me coat....
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - zookeeper
i used to work in a booze cash and carry in the mid 70s. we (the lads) found a box of breathalysers in the warehouse....i think they were left over from the drink drive campaign set up by barbara castle mp in the 1960s...anyway we took a hand ful down the pub after work and tried them out, i think i was over the limit after 4 pints of ansells bitter because the crystals in the breathyliser turned from green to brown ... luckily i didnt own a car back then but everyone i knew who did used to drink and drive regardless , how things have changed for the better
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - L'escargot
AlcoSense claim their product(s) have been tested by, and are recommended by, several reputable publications .............. tinyurl.com/7zoxdz
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - maz64
tinyurl.com/7zoxdz

Most of the 'reviews' appear to be just paraphrasing of a product information sheet. Didn't spot any test results.
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - b308
No sign of the word "independant" before "test results" either... having said that they are not the ones mentioned in the OP, the ones he mentioned were the sub-£15 ones which were tested... that one is more than £50!
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - krs one
I can't see why the Alcosense ones would not be reliable, it seems like the original story
was to try and trash the reputation of personal breathalysers in general, as some people obviously think they are morally dubious.

Just because some cheap toy from China proves to be unreliable shouldn't be a reason to proclaim them as pointless.

I fully understand that it would be no defence in court, but if it is accurate you won't end up in court.

I am as anti-drink driving as anyone, but it is one of the few things you can be convicted for without knowing you are doing it.
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - the swiss tony
I am as anti-drink driving as anyone but it is one of the few things
you can be convicted for without knowing you are doing it.

Im not sure if I agree to that or not.. theres a fair few things you could claim you didnt know was illegal - but ignorance of the law is no defence.

regarding drinking, depending on your build, health, strength of alcohol, and many other factors the amount you drink and the way it affects you / is shown up in a test will vary.
hence the ONLY way to know your under the limit, is not to drink!
So... in effect, the only way to be sure your not on or over the limit, is to become tea-total, so by drinking any alcohol, I guess we are all putting ourselves at risk of drink driving - so are we then not guilty of 'hoping' we are below the limit?
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - captain chaos
Read in the paper the other day about a woman in Sweden who failed a breathalyser and hadn't had a drop to drink. Apparently she had filled her screenwash bottle and inhaled the fumes. Makes a good argument for using alcohol free mouthwash of a morning too
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - Rattle
I think we need to be a bit realisitc, I had 7 pints (I think last night) of week beer drank over 6 hours. I was drunk, there was no way I could have driven a car but I was not legless.

Today I have two jobs fairly local (about 3 miles distance in total the entire journey) but as I am not entirely sure the alchohol is out of my system I shall work, get some exercise and then drive again tomorrow afternoon.

Yes I know there still may be alchohol in my system after 36 hours but I would be unlucky and I am sure so many people drive when tired, on percription drugs etc which may affect their driving.

I am not sure I believe the Swedish thing about screen wash although dont they have a zero tolerence policy over there?

DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - Fullchat
With the UK procedure mouthwash is given a 20 minute dispersal time but the question is not asked until after arrest and at the station.
It would be difficult having cleaned ones teeth and mouth washed for a time of 20 minutes not to have elapsed before driving but I suppose it is possible. Likewise mouth fresheners contain alcohol and if used immediately before a breathtest will have a considerable impact.
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - FotheringtonThomas
the ONLY way to know your under the limit is not to drink!

No it isn't.
>> the ONLY way to know your under the limit is not to drink!
No it isn't.

So... what is?
DIY breathalysers are useless fakes - DP
I have little sympathy for people who drink and then get behind the wheel, but I do feel for the "next morning" cases after a friend of mine blew over the limit at 8am after a moderate night on the wine. She had been drunk, but not paraletic. Got up next morning, felt fine, drove to work, pulled, and banned.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have been banned (and neither at any point did she), but it's not just the blatant drink-drivers who get caught. Who can honestly say they have never driven after the morning after a night on the beer?
I do feel for the "next morning" cases after a friend of mine blew over
the limit at 8am after a moderate night on the wine. She had been drunk
but not paraletic. Got up next morning felt fine drove to work pulled and banned.

That DP is exactly why I said the 'ONLY way... be tea-total.'

Im not saying that all drivers should be tea-total, I at this moment have a bottle of caribbean twist rum on the go...and Ill be driving at 6 in the morning - I should be OK... but!
In my mind, it is a risk and one Im willing to take, after all its not a huge amount of alcohol...
IF i get pulled, and banned Ill be well gutted.. but whose fault will it be?