07 1.6 - Windows fogging up constantly - mjs100
Hi all

We recently purchased a Ford Focus from a dealership, everything's great except for the fact that the rear window and rear side windows are constantly fogging up. the front window does too but not as much.

I can understand if this was happening if I turned the aircon on but I don't.

I'm thinking of going back to the dealership but before I do I wondered if there was an obvious fix or if it's an issue with all Ford Focuses?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/11/2008 at 18:23

07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - Screwloose

Windows fogging up when parked [unoccupied] are often an indication of wet carpets.

Do you have a water leak?
07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - rtj70
"Do you have a water leak?"

He's just bought an 07 Focus CC - probably has a water leak unfortunately. Has this had the fixes to the roof seals etc. as when they came out they had to shutdown production to sort out the leaks.

"can understand if this was happening if I turned the aircon on but I don't"

If you had the aircon on (which will dehumidify the air) you're less likely to have fogging up. Do you have climate control?

It does sound like it is damp in the car.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/11/2008 at 17:10

"Do you have a water leak?"

He's just bought an 07 Focus CC

Yes; it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek question...... Maybe I should have transposed the first two words...?
07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - pds99
possible water leak?.Check for damp or wet carpets.
07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - mjs100
Ok, first, I'm an idiot, it's not a CC, it's a Zetec 1.6 07. I chose the wrong option :(

I have checked the carpets and they seem fine, all through the car, bone dry. However even now the windows have a little mist on them. I wonder if there's water getting in through the boot or something. Any other ideas?

I assume this is something the dealership will fix for me?

{Model has been modified for you - if you knew you'd made a mistake you could always email the moderators on the site to fix for you}

Edited by rtj70 on 19/11/2008 at 17:49

07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - rtj70
I'll fix the model description for you (as a mod).

With the aircon off (I have climate) or when I first get in, my Mazda6 currently mists up windscreen. I know the windscreen and rear window need cleaning properly. Just have not got around to it and climate sorts.

You do need to check carpets for dampness to rule that out. I know you say you have but the moisture is in the car and is condensing on the windows.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/11/2008 at 17:44

07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - Armitage Shanks {p}
Unlikely on a car of this age but it could be a faulty/blocked/wet pollen filter. I notice that my car often mists up after a cold day in the open, parked at work, and this clears PDQ when a/c is selected instead of Econ. I don't need a/c for cooling, obviously, but the way the air is circulated seems to dry it out
07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - Carse
Check you do not have the air recirculation button pressed as this can cause fogging

Carse

Edited by Carse on 20/11/2008 at 10:41

07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - Javalin
Do you have/transport pets in the car? (dogs?)
07 1.6 Ford Focus - Windows fogging up constantly - mjs100
No, we don't have any pets in the car ever and the air circulation button is off at all times...

If you can get a mains cable to the car, park a dehumidifier [preferably the silica type] in it overnight. Sometimes damp gets trapped in a car and that will help reduce it.
07 1.6 - Windows fogging up constantly - Petar Mrkonjic
If you squeeze the sides of the glove box when its open, the glove box can be opened all the way and behind there, you will find the damper that controls the outside air intake, and the recirculation of the cabin air. In my case, I found the damper totally open, which in turn does not let any fresh air in. The damper stayed open or in the Recirculation Mode, whether I turned the button on or off.....I noticed that the shaft from the actuator motor is spinning freely when I turn on and turn off the recirculation button. What I did was tape the damper shut, removed the electrical harness from the actuator, and drove around with the fan off until the windows got nice and foggy. I then turned the fan on high, and set the dial to blend(def and floor), and in a matter of minutes, the fog was cleared up. The back side windows took a little longer, but then I turned the dial on to bi level and that helped out. This is a temporary fix until I find out how to fix the damper. Only draw back until then is that cant switch over to recirculation. I can live with that though....better this way than to get the fog. Hope this helps.