96 1.0 Starting Problem - pds99
having starting problems with this car.This is the third time i,ve had this happen. the car won,t start, until i tow start it, and then runs perfect.The last time this happened was about 8 months ago.Any help very welcome.Cheers.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/11/2008 at 18:26

96 1.0 STARTING PROBLEM - Screwloose

How far had it been driven the last time it was started?
96 1.0 STARTING PROBLEM - pds99
about 50 yards!
96 1.0 STARTING PROBLEM - jc2
Fouled plugs!
plugs faily new,checked and cleaned,still no go.Got a feeling some kind of sensor is causing probs.3 breakdowns exactly the same symtoms{thats me and the car!}

These are fairly famous for not starting after a very short run. It's a software issue involving the cold-running enrichment and the coolant temp sensor.

How have you "cleaned" the plugs?
cleaned plugs with wire brush,checked gap,good spark.This coolant temp sensor issue keeps croping up.

Wire brushing plugs went out in the '50s. It ruins the insulators.

You could try a new sensor - with the improved plug - but it rarely worked for me.
Oh well,back to the tow rope,methinks!.You did,nt have all this electrofonics back in the 50s.

The secret with these is never to turn it off if the engine is still cold.

You could also try pressing the accelerator flat to the carpet BEFORE turning the key on - release it if it fires.
thanks to those who replied,goodnight.
To Screwloose
did as you said,started eventually.gave it a run around the block,runs perfectly!.Stopped it,retarted first time.Did give out a lot of black smoke the first time it started.Any clues?.Cheers
snipquote

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2008 at 18:58

96 1.0 STARTING PROBLEM - jc2
Don't clean the plugs with a wire brush-hold them in a gas flame(use pliers).

The black smoke shows it was only flooded; avoid ultra-short running periods and it should be fine. This is normal for these engines.