new LHD in the UK - gmac
With the current down turn in the economy (reading the Credit Crisis thread) is it possible to order a LHD car through a UK dealership at the prices we are seeing posted here and elsewhere on the web ?

They are significantly cheaper than those in some European markets and I'm wondering if this is a missed opportunity by the main dealers ?
OK, they probably won't see the cars again for aftermarket sales/servicing but it could still help hit sales targets ?
new LHD in the UK - Alanovich
Would have thought that the offers of which you speak are on cars already in stock somewhere in the UK in RHD format. There aren't huge discounts to be had yet on factory orders or any models which aren't suffering too bad a drop in sales.

It's a good thought but I can't imagine it working.

Edited by Alanovich on 19/11/2008 at 14:56

new LHD in the UK - gmac
Dutch, Belgian and German dealerships would not have had easy access to RHD stock fifteen years plus ago but still managed to undercut the UK dealerships ?

I would have thought 45% discounts would generate sales from near foreign markets.

I would think the manufacturers would take sales from wherever they could get them and if UK dealers can shift LHD metal then why not a reversal of the above mentioned sales a decade or so ago.
new LHD in the UK - captain chaos
Good idea....it would come in handy when the EU make us all drive on the right ;-)
new LHD in the UK - Collos25
The cheapest place to buy cars at the moment is the UK ,Germany has prices that are in cucoo land they want more for a four year old Vectra than new one cost here for eg.The UK second hand car market is really bargain basement at the moment.
new LHD in the UK - T Lucas
With the pound/euro situation i have recently sold a few used to buyers from Ireland.
new LHD in the UK - gmac
That's what got me thinking Andy.
I looked on autoscout for a particluar model available in the UK from a maindealer for £16.5k, cheapest I could find was ?30k.
new LHD in the UK - GenevaJohn
There are some signs that in France the market is starting to follow the UK trends, ie larger cars and sports cars (especially petrol-driven) are dropping in price quite quickly as people downsize. Markets are slower to react here, and dealers are still 'holding-out', but that will change.......