VED - U-turn on car tax rises [Read only] - jbif
It looks like Darling Brown doing temporary a U-turn on VED:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/3429019/Labour-U-turn...l

Plans to charge millions of motorists increased vehicle duty will be delayed as part of the Government's tax-cutting package to revive the ailing economy, The Daily Telegraph has learnt. ........

Edited by Pugugly on 15/11/2008 at 20:22

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Pugugly
That'll make a lot of people very happy, especially all those people who flogged their cars at a huge loss because of the impending rises.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Statistical outlier
If people took a huge loss to save £200 a year then they deserve it. Fools are soon parted from their money, the whole VED thing is a complete storm in a teacup.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Rattle
Yeah this what never got, I mean I bought a small car for tax, insurance and reasons but if somebody offered me a Mondeo and I knew the history I would have bought it.

The question is where are all these tax breaks coming from?
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - jbif
.. all those people who flogged their cars at a huge loss because of the impending rises.

and killed the motor-trade dealing in 4x4s and over 2litre engined cars, with its inevitable trickle down effect on the whole trade.

I believe that the catalyst for the car-trade crash was the VED rises, just as the HIPs were the catalyst for the collapse in the housing market.

Just as those announcements led to the crash, NuLab now is hoping that the reversal of its policy on VED will lead to a revival of the economy.

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - ForumNeedsModerating
I believe that the catalyst for the car-trade crash was the VED rises, just as the HIPs were the catalyst for the collapse in the housing market

..could well be true, if you happen to believe in the butterfly effect. But just as the butterfly beating its wings in the Siberian summer has a direct physical consequence that causally & physically can't be separated from a hurricane in the Caribbean, it's a lot different than saying every butterfly causes a hurricane - which is what you're saying jbif. HIPs represented an effective purchase 'tax' of less than 0.25% on average per sale - and many estate agents were effectively absorbing this cost anyway. Complete bunkum really.

The putative VED changes would have caused a one-off windfall loss in some car bands, while others would have boomed - zero sum effect in all likelihood.

It was the crystallizing losses in the American sub-prime mortgage market that were the catalyst (although catalyst is the wrong word, technically) for all this - that caused the collapse in confidence in most of the more exotic securitised derivative debt products.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - midlifecrisis
'Delayed' until after the next election. Yet another cynical attempt to buy votes by a desperate Government.

The VED increase was seized upon by dealers to offer poor p/x prices, but they ended up shooting themselves in the foot by significantly reducing their turnover.

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - boxsterboy
'Delayed' until after the next election. Yet another cynical attempt to buy votes by a
desperate Government.

Exactly.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - mattbod
Yes and if by some misfortune this lot get in again the charges will be more expensive. I can see their point (although I don't agree with it) on taxing new cars by virtue of their emissions, after all if a person can drop £50K on a Range Rover Sport for example £400 is chicken feed. Retrospective legislation however is by is very nature unfair and this measure should be scrapped permanently.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - BazzaBear {P}
Looks like the reason Angela Eagle has stopped responding to my letters via my MP is because I've 'won' our argument.
I had assumed it was because, having used up her store of falsehoods about the subject, she was just intent on ignoring me as they went ahead with it.

A public servant who refuses to converse with the public. Lovely.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - pd
Dealers were offering "poor" px prices because that reflected the market. No dealer is going to offer £5000 for a car they haven't a hope in hell of turning into more than £2500 cash. This may mean losing a deal and reducing turnover but there is no point in increasing turnover to make a larger loss!

Get down a large car px auction and see what these cars fetch - private buyers are not buying them and dealers are not buying them because they can't sell them to buyers....

It all stems from zero demand at the retail level. (Having said that many larger cars have now got so cheap people are buying them again so have bottomed out).

A VED "delay" will have zero effect on the market - they either need to bring it in as planned or drop it completely. Anything else just creates uncertainty.

Edited by pd on 11/11/2008 at 09:35

It was perhaps economic illiteracy that persuaded the govt. to make the VED changes retrospective - even introducing them without sufficient notice means car buyers & manufacturers are caught mid buying or design/production cycle. This inevitably results in big 'equity' decline (or depreciation) - the destruction of value coupled with the credit crisis has created the perfect storm for the car buying public & car trade.
Attacked on two fronts - climate change reduction initiatives & lack of finance/confidence
in the economy, the result's not deep joy. The VED back-pedalling is to be welcomed though, at least they've applied the dictum: when you're in a hole, stop digging.

The VED back-pedalling is to be welcomed though, at least they've applied the dictum: when you're in a hole, stop digging.

Once bitten, twice shy. Remember that in the VED threads, NowWheels and others were defending the "retrospective" increase in VED as NOT being retro, because, according to NowWheels, we motorists should have known this was coming as soon as the CO2 bands were introduced.

According to the DT article, it seems that only the "retrospective" or "retroactive" part of the proposal will be put on ice temporarily. Apparently, new purchases will still get clobbered with the higher VED bands. The retro bite back will be back with a vengeance if the NuLab crowd gets re-elected after an election [any bets on a snap election after announcing sweeping tax cuts in the forthcoming emergency mini-budget?].

Yes jbif, I think politicians do simply regard the electorate as children or soppy great aunts - butter them up with some sweeties or flattering comments to get temporary co-operation (or votes in this case) - so I'm not convinced they're 'sincere' in any sense & will put any temporary goodwill to electoral use to their best advantage.

The VED debacle, in my view, should have started & ended with the manufacturers - give them incentives (or lack of penalties) to produce more efficient cars - that way, models are introduced in an systematic & non-market disrupting fashion. The process should have been entirely transparent to the consumer - we shouldn't have to make the decision; we simply buy a car we like & if those cars are whole-life-cost efficient (however we define that) - so much the better for the planet.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Mapmaker
Utterly bonkers. There is no way that anybody can plan for anything in this world.

Companies were given a 10k 0% tax band, then a 10% tax band. So every window cleaner incorporated his business. Within a couple of years, these changes were reversed, so window cleaners are stuck with companies that are expensive to administer, to no extra benefit.

2001,2002,2003 big cars have been hammered (£400 p.a. when the car is only worth £2k is a lot). Now they're trying to reverse the effect, but those who have already sold their cars at a big loss are already sunk.

They announced a freeze on SDLT.... so the housing market went completely dead. Then it turned out to be a freeze only on properties between 150k and 175k. Market still dead.

Will they ever learn?
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - daveyjp
Overcomplication of the tax system - it's as bad as confusion marketing for mobile phones, utility bills etc etc.

It's obvious no one in the treasury considers the unintended consequences of the actions taken, or the civil servants do only to be ignored by those in power.

Rates on empty commercial properties has killed speculative development in large areas of the country - another ill thought out policy which all professional property organisations fought against. Implementation is now slowly killing the development cycle and this will cost the Country a lot more than dropping VED by a few quid a year.

Decent properties are being demolished to avoid a tax - how does that fit in with the sustainablity agenda of HM Government?
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Optimist
As jbif pointed out, the change is only the "retrospective" bit of the VED increases so cars bought new since 2006 will still be hit by the increases.

This does create another problem in that if this ever was a green tax then either you have it or you don't. I never really saw the logic of the "retrospective" argument, so now I can't see why only older cars should be exempt from the increase.

Unless this is going to be part of Brown's, sorry, Darling's pre-budget report on directed tax cuts and you accept that poorer people run older, less fuel-efficient cars.

IMO what has really stalled the car market is the overall economic uncertainty. You could risk borrowing to buy a car and even roll it into the debt on your house when house prices seemed to be going up endlessly. But now with the prospect of negative equity even on a loan to value of 75% and the possibility that people will lose their jobs, you'd have to be a bit mad to tie yourself up in a finance agreement to buy a car. And most new cars were bought on finance.

If people did sell because of the VED increases, they ignored a lot of what was said on here. Cars are very expensive things and another £4 a week on VED is not a lot of money. Put the other way I can't see any postponement affecting the car market in any way. If dealers have been behaving like vultures and exploiting people on p/ex, I hope their trade-ins sit with them for a long time.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - shawad
As jbif pointed out the change is only the "retrospective" bit of the VED increases
so cars bought new since 2006 will still be hit by the increases.

But surely the retrospective part is any car bought up until the announcement to increase VED bands was made? I bought my 1.8 Zafira in January 08, the new tax bands were introduced in March/April 08, so that makes it retrospective.
This does create another problem in that if this ever was a green tax then
either you have it or you don't. I never really saw the logic of the
"retrospective" argument so now I can't see why only older cars should be exempt from
the increase.

I agree (about the have it or don't bit), but look at it from a different angle.

This tax can only work in a 'green' way by changing people's buying habits, so there's no point in making the changes to cars already on the road.

So, they are saying they will no longer apply these changes to cars pre-2006, this is not a fair change. They should be no longer applying the changes to cars pre-2008 - in other words it should only apply to cars registered after the changes were announced.

In my opinion, applying an extra tax to existing cars can not have a green benefit because it can only have three results:

1) The car is kept anyway. No difference.
2) The car is sold to another driver. No difference.
3) The car is scrapped before the end of its useful life, necessitating a replacement. Hideously bad for the environment.

I can see some logic in applying such changes to cars new out of the showroom, to encourage people not to buy them, and manufacturers not to build them, in the first place.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - mfarrow
I do wish the government would make up its mind. It's speculation and indecisiveness that dries up sales, not a balancing of taxes.

Car prices have fallen because nobody can afford to buy them anymore! If it were really because of taxation, then we'd be seeing an increase in the price of low-band cars such as small diesels. This hasn't happened.

Personally I can't wait until the retrospective taxes come into force. My rate will drop from £120 p.a. to £90 p.a. Bring it on!
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Collos25
Nothing is for free in this world anything given away now will be recovered with interest in other ways probably after an election.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Andrew-T
>Car prices have fallen because nobody can afford to buy them anymore!

And by the look of things, if prices fall much further makers won't be able to afford to make them any more. Until, I suppose, enough frustration builds up among the public that enjoys being seen in a trendy new vehicle for spending to start again.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Hope this helps
The plan to increase VED caused chaos in the used car market and seriously damaged the industry. That effects consumers as well as the motor trade. Consumers have been struggling to sell high VED cars and dealers obviously cant take them because they cant move them on either. At the same time, prices of small "economical" cars have spiralled. The obvious thing to do is buy a car you actually want now they are so cheap and be happy in the knowledge that it will take a lot of years of higher VED to to make your decision fanancially unwise.

More importantly, how can the government be allowed to plunge an industry into turmoil and introduce another retrospective tax. It is unthinkable and I can not believe that they even considered it. The government obviously is too divorcedd from reality or has no interest in the people it alledgedly represents. Yes, CO2 is important, but cars are not the most important polluters. There are other things to address in the World too.

Retrospective is the key word. Can we retrospectively vote the government out of power? I dont think so.

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Fullchat
So say in the next Budget - Feb 2009 ? , the Chancellor announces that there is no retrospective increase in VED on say 4X4s but as from that date there will be an increase on new registered vehicles, could that mean a potential boost in the second hand market for good pre Budget date cars or whatever date was the cut off?

Edited by Fullchat on 11/11/2008 at 19:23

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - The Melting Snowman
I don't think VED has done all the damage in the car market. People are skint as they can't borrow and afraid of losing their jobs.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Kevin
>I don't think VED has done all the damage in the car market.

Neither do I but it stuck the boot in at just the wrong time ie. while it was going down. Much like Stamp Duty and the worthless HIPs did to the housing market.

It was also incredibly stupid because if they had simply said that the new VED bands and rates would only apply to new vehicles purchased after April 2009 most folks would have accepted the enviro. excuse and made adjustments. As it is, it only highlighted how desperate they were for cash and how dishonest they were prepared to be to get it.

Like the 10p tax fiasco, their assurances that 95% of car owners would be "better or no-worse off" were shown to be complete lies and that the biggest relative increases would hit lower income "hard-working families".

Nulab's contempt for taxpayers and the private sector was summed up perfectly by Ed Balls.

"So what?!"

Kevin...
So say in the next Budget - Feb 2009 ?

You won't have to wait that long:

taxplus.mercerhole.co.uk/2008/11/articles/budget/p.../
November 10, 2008 by Barry Hallam
"Pre-Budget Report 2008 - This Week?
It is being reported by the BBC that Gordon Brown has stated that the Pre Budget Report will be ?in a few days?. "

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Lud
Moan moan moan.... Never look a gift horse in the mouth, they used to say back in the days of civilisation...

Am I wrong, or are some doomed to higher costs now the changes have been suppressed for the time being? If so, sorry.
Not good enough.... as I have said earlier Retrospective legislation is totally unfair by nature. I saw Angela Eagle get quite uppety after she was grilled by ITN in the summer after Brown said in PM that drivers would be better off but was proved wrong (funnily the BBC didn't run the story). With total arrogance and disregard she said that her department were pressing ahead despite "big beasts" (ha ha ha) like Jack Straw coming out against it.

As said a bit late given its impact on the second hand car market.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - pyruse
I agree retrospective legislation is unfair, but this change is *not* retrospective.

Retrospective legislation would be charging you for duty for past years. In other words you would get a bill for extra car tax for the last 5 years. That *is* unfair, because you have no chance to change what you did in the past.

There's nothing retrospective about the proposed VED changes; they apply only to future years; it's just the rate you will pay which changes for some vehicles.
So you have the opportunity to change your vehicle if you really think it is sensible to save a few hundred pounds on VED while taking a massive loss on your car.

Seems to me this is one of those issues a lot of people just love getting upset about.

Chill out. VED is only a tiny part of the cost of owning a car anyway, it makes very little difference. Life is too short to get upset about such things.
.. but this change is *not* retrospective.

Oh no, not that debate again. It was done to death in the previous VED threads.
Chill out. VED is only a tiny part of the cost of owning a car anyway, it makes very little difference.

You and I and a few others on this forum and maybe 1% of the UK population may understand that. However, the rest of the population clearly don't, as is evidenced by discussions on forums [supported by real life impact at the Traders] by the mad rush to abandon high VED cars and "downsize" to low VED cars.

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Cliff Pope
All taxes and rebates are retrospective. They ought to apply only to people who voted for this government.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - DP
I understand its only a small percentage of the overall cost, and I certainly wouldn't change my car as a result of it, but there is a principle here. Whether you call it retrospective or not, and I agree it does not strictly meet the definition of retrospective, hiking taxes on cars people already own is like shooting fish in a barrel. It's underhand and immoral. To quote an old Etonian former boss of mine, it's "not playing with a straight bat".

Apart from initially outright lying to the country by saying the majority of drivers would be better off, their continued insistence that it will "help the environment" is a double insult. There is not one scenario where this can possibly help the environment, whether it's nothing changing, the premature scrapping of perfectly good cars, or cars continuing to be run by new owners. Even the car-hating green groups such as Friends of the Earth said it wouldn't help the environment one jot, brought green taxation into disrepute, and wanted nothing to do with it.

This issue sums up perfectly the arrogance, complacency and complete failure to grasp the law of unintended consequences that plagues this government.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - NowWheels
Apart from initially outright lying to the country by saying the majority of drivers would
be better off their continued insistence that it will "help the environment" is a double
insult. There is not one scenario where this can possibly help the environment whether it's
nothing changing the premature scrapping of perfectly good cars or cars continuing to be run
by new owners.

The most common scenario is likely to be that given the plummeting resale value of high-emission cars, their owners will balance their budget by reducing their mileage. Knocking 1500 miles a year (or 30 miles per week) off the annual mileage of a highly-polluting car does indeed help the environment, and that'll be be enough to offset the tax increase even when it bites in full.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - commerdriver
owners will balance their budget by reducing their mileage.

That makes the assumption that that mileage is flexible.

If I don't change my place of residence or my place of work I can't reduce the bulk of my mileage.

For most people IMO most if not all mileage is necessary getting to/from work, shops or whatever. For many people there is not an alternative means of transport for these journeys so the only way to reduce mileage is not to do these journeys, not always possible.
If I don't change my place of residence or my place of work I can't
reduce the bulk of my mileage.

In many cases, not true; it's often possible to reduce part of that commuting mileage by a bit of homeworking or by using public transport for part of the mix, or by occasional car-sharing.
For most people IMO most if not all mileage is necessary getting to/from work shops
or whatever. For many people there is not an alternative means of transport for these
journeys so the only way to reduce mileage is not to do these journeys not
always possible.

I would be very surprised indeed if most drivers don't have 15% discretionary miles.
homeworking

would love to, and could at least 2 days a week, but my employer doesn't allow it. I would like to see government legislation / tax penalties aimed at companies in this area, rather than at joe public following the rules.
using public transport for part of the mix

Already do by as much as is practical.
occasional car-sharing.

Impractical due to geography / working hours.

Given that 95% of the mileage going on my car is for commuting, The only discretion I have is to find another job. In the current economic climate, keeping the one I have is going to be hard enough.

It's still shooting fish in a barrel, and is imposing tax increases on people who, unless they are financially stupid, have no choice but to cough up and pay.
Given that 95% of the mileage going on my car is for commuting The only
discretion I have is to find another job.

That it is a very unusual situation. If you live 50 miles from your place of work, that's nearly 25,000 miles a year commuting. If commuting is 95% of your mileage, then even with a 100-mile round trip to work you're only doing an average of 25 miles a week for all other purposes: shopping, visiting friends, going off on holiday, taking kids to school etc.
That it is a very unusual situation. If you live 50 miles from your place
of work that's nearly 25 000 miles a year commuting. If commuting is 95% of
your mileage then even with a 100-mile round trip to work you're only doing an
average of 25 miles a week for all other purposes: shopping visiting friends going off
on holiday taking kids to school etc.

The numbers are a bit off, but the yes that is essentially correct. I would say my car averages no more than 15-20 miles a week outside of the commute.

All other mileage is done in my wife's car (low VED, low CO2)

I cannot reasonably do any more to reduce the mileage in my allegedly polluting car (which incidentally did 36 mpg on its last tankful!)

There is still no sensible justification for hiking VED to reduce emissions. For starters, it's a fixed cost. You suggest that people will reduce their usage to recoup the cost. I say people will drive their cars as much as possible, given that they pay the same whether they do 500 miles or 50,000. A system under which a 250g/km car doing 5,000 miles a year pays multiple times more than a 125g/km car doing 30,000 is simply a nonsense in emissions reduction terms. It's doesn't even have a tenuous link to the problem it has allegedly been designed to solve.

Don't forget too that the government already taxes fuel at over 200%. This tax *does* hit the most polluting hardest. It automatically adjusts for consumption and mileage, for real world fuel economy, and for driving styles. It already does the job they claim the VED changes will do. It already exists.

I can't believe anyone can fail to see this VED rise for what it is.

DP

Edited by DP on 12/11/2008 at 16:18

The numbers are a bit off but the yes that is essentially correct. I would
say my car averages no more than 15-20 miles a week outside of the commute.
All other mileage is done in my wife's car (low VED low CO2)

So swap cars. Use the low-fuel-consumption car for the longer single-occupant trips, and make your savings that way. That may not be your preference, but it's an option for your family to consider if you want to reduce motoring costs despite having made the choice to having a highly-polluting car.

Taxation by CO2 emissions has been around for 7 years now, and I'm astonished that anyone is surprised to see that structure used to penalise the high polluters.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - commerdriver
I'm astonished that anyone is surprised to see that structure used to penalise the high >> polluters.

>>
One of the problems is that we have different opinions on what is a high polluter most people can see the point in taxing 4x4s and other really high polluters. It's when the definitoion of high polluter has to include normal family cars Mondeos, Vectras etc so that it brings in enough money that the government view seems to differ from reality.
Most people are already doing what they can to keep the costs at a sensible level, throwing extra tax at something people do not see as an unreasonable choice is bound to cause upset.
Taxation by CO2 emissions has been around for 7 years now and I'm astonished that
anyone is surprised to see that structure used to penalise the high polluters.

We're not. We're astonished to see it used to take a huge amount of extra money from those whose banding had already been set, despite the fact that doing so can have no benefit to the environment, and we're astonished to see this change which can have no effect on the environment advertised as a green tax.
So swap cars. Use the low-fuel-consumption car for the longer single-occupant trips >> and make your
savings that way. That may not be your preference but it's an option for your
family to consider if you want to reduce motoring costs despite having made the choice
to having a highly-polluting car.

The low consumption car is the family car with the big boot, 5* NCAP rating and the extra height for lifting the baby in. It goes with the kids. And I would question how any well maintained car that does 36 mpg can be considered "highly polluting".

So what is your counter argument to my suggestion (and that of Friends of the Earth) that it doesn't benefit the environment?

Edited by DP on 12/11/2008 at 20:27

The most common scenario is likely to be that given the plummeting resale value of
high-emission cars their owners will balance their budget by reducing their mileage.

Is it?

With the same amount of evidence, I would like to suggest that the most likely scenario is that people will want to get their moneys-worth out of their car, and seeing as their cost per mile will only drop by doing more mileage will use their car more if anything.
After all, you don't spend a bundle on a new HD TV and then refuse to switch it on because of the electricity cost do you?

In fact I don't think this is any more likely that your own scenario. I consider that the likely result is that their will be no change at all in the usage of the vehicles already on the road, but the government will rake in a bit of extra money, with a good excuse as long as you don't actually look into the logic.
I would like to suggest that the most likely
scenario is that people will want to get their moneys-worth out of their car and
seeing as their cost per mile will only drop by doing more mileage will use
their car more if anything.
After all you don't spend a bundle on a new HD TV and then refuse
to switch it on because of the electricity cost do you?

Bad comparison: the electricity cost of a TV is trivial, perhaps 10p for a whole evening's viewing, but the fuel cost of a 225+g/km car is more like 15p/mile. Leave the TV off all week, and you've saved less than £1, so it's not going to make much difference to your finances ... but you can save a lot more money by cutting down car use.

If, having paid the extra tax, people then use the car more, they've made a bad calculation. Once they've paid their VED, that money is gone whether the car is standing idle or not, and they pay out the same marginal cost per mile whether they drive 1 mile per day or ten miles. Some people may indeed do that, but if they can afford to buy all the extra petrol then their complaints about the cost of VED ring a bit hollow.
If having paid the extra tax people then use the car more they've made a
bad calculation. Once they've paid their VED that money is gone whether the car is
standing idle or not and they pay out the same marginal cost per mile whether
they drive 1 mile per day or ten miles. Some people may indeed do that
but if they can afford to buy all the extra petrol then their complaints about
the cost of VED ring a bit hollow.

Two points. Easiest and most important first.

1) The complaints are not about the cost of the change to VED - I can afford it quite easily. The complaints are about the underhanded, spineless, based-on-a-lie nature of the changes. I have maintained throughout that I am arguing this point on a moralistic, not a financial, basis.

2) If I were to do one mile per day, then my cost per mile of motoring would be approximately £1.40. (£440 on tax, £73 on petrol, ignoring other costs to keep this simple - the important issue here is the difference in money spent on tax compared to fuel)
If I were to do ten miles per day then it would be 32 pence per mile. (£730 petrol, £440 tax)
How then is there a marginal difference?
Yes, I would be spending more altogether, but I would be getting a hell of a lot more for my money overall.
I think the bad calculation is on your part.
1) The complaints are not about the cost of the change to VED - I
can afford it quite easily. The complaints are about the underhanded spineless based-on-a-lie nature of
the changes. I have maintained throughout that I am arguing this point on a moralistic
not a financial basis.

The big change was in 2001, when VED was switched from a flat rate to a CO2-based variable rate. All that's happened since then is that those CO2-assessed cars have seen the scale changed, just as happens with income tax, council tax, and plenty of other taxes such as airport tax.
2) If I were to do one mile per day then my cost per mile
of motoring would be approximately £1.40. (£440 on tax £73 on petrol ignoring other costs
to keep this simple - the important issue here is the difference in money spent
on tax compared to fuel)
If I were to do ten miles per day then it would be 32 pence
per mile. (£730 petrol £440 tax)
How then is there a marginal difference?
Yes I would be spending more altogether but I would be getting a hell of
a lot more for my money overall.
I think the bad calculation is on your part.

No, my calculation stands. I referred to "marginal cost per mile", but you are looking at overall cost per mile. From wikipedia: marginal cost is the change in total cost that arises when the quantity produced changes by one unit. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_cost

Marginal cost per mile is the extra cost of doing one extra mile. The VED is a fixed cost, like owning a garage for your car -- once you have a car, it costs the same whether you drive 1 mile or a thousand miles.

Overall cost per mile is a useful figure in budgeting, to decide which type car (if any) you can afford. But in deciding how much to use your car, it's the marginal cost that measures how much you have to pay for each extra mile.
Overall cost per mile is a useful figure in budgeting to decide which type car
(if any) you can afford. But in deciding how much to use your car it's
the marginal cost that measures how much you have to pay for each extra mile.

But if I want to get my moneys worth out of my car, rather than just specifically to limit the amount of money it's costing me altogether, then it makes sense to use it more, not less.

We've already established than I'm not annoyed because I can't afford the cost. I'm not daft enough to buy a car which puts me on the breadline in order to run it. I could comfortably afford to do many more miles than I do.
Since I'm being forced to pay a big chunk of money anyway, might as well get the best use from it.

Overall cost per mile is still useful for deciding whether I'm getting my money's worth from my car. It's biggest problem is that it doesn't support your argument.

I find the idea that people who have been forced to pay a large premium in order to own something (which they already own) but have chosen to keep that item, will therefore use it less, somewhat laughable.

Edited by BazzaBear {P} on 13/11/2008 at 17:38

Overall cost per mile is still useful for deciding whether I'm getting my money's worth
from my car. It's biggest problem is that it doesn't support your argument.
I find the idea that people who have been forced to pay a large premium
in order to own something (which they already own) but have chosen to keep that
item will therefore use it less somewhat laughable.

They are not paying to own it or keep it (no VED if SORNed); they are paying for the right to use it (not sure how much difference that makes, but is an distinction).

Your argument makes no sense for people are financially squeezed, and I accept that you have no problem affording the car's costs. You're in a very different position to all those folks clamouring that the VED increase impoverishes them, but it's still an interesting situation to examine, even though we have been led to believe that it's rare.

This question is initially about different points on the wealth scale. If someone is skint, their concern will be to save every penny, so they'll have to claw back the tax increase by reducing usage, because otherwise they'll be short of cash for the mortgage/rent/children's food/etc (and I think it's very sad that you find that situation "laughable"). At the other extreme, if someone has stupendous amounts of money, then marginal changes in value are irrelevant, because they don't have to worry about value. So your example is of someone who can afford more, but still keeps a keen eye on value-for-money.

The first point is that in applications like this, household economics are very different to those of a commercial product. If the average unit cost of my factory's widget box declines with increased production, then it obviously pays me to make more of them (assuming I can still sell at the same unit price). But in a most households, more consumption cannot usually lead to more income.

Most of this is about perceptions, and there are several different ways of looking at these things. I'm reminded of the supermarket practice of selling three-for-the-price-of-two: buy more, and the unit price goes down. However, you've still spent more money than if you had bought one. Whether that's perceived as better value depends on how much you want the extra items, and something similar applies to using the car. Given that the car is costing a higher proportion of your income, do you increase that cost further, or try to reduce it? I guess some people may choose to spend more, but I think that's the illogical bit.

Here's why: by using the car more, I may reduce the unit-cost of each mile, but I'm still further reducing the money available for everything else. Those extra miles still mean less spending elsewhere, or reduced savings, and you are assuming that the value people place on all the other things they could do with their money decreases when the car's fixed costs go up.

If you were right, and the rational response to fixed costs had the sort of inverse effect you describe, then the best way to reduce car usage would be to cut the fixed costs (make insurance cheaper, making buying cars cheaper). I'd be interested to see any example you can come up with of how price signals work in this way. (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_signals )
(and I think it's very sad that you find that situation "laughable").

If you're going to twist my words to try to make out that I'm showing scorn to those less fortunate than myself financially, then I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your anti-car rhetoric.
If you're going to twist my words to try to make out that I'm showing
scorn to those less fortunate than myself financially then I'm not going to bother reading
the rest of your anti-car rhetoric.

We were discussing how people respond to price signals, so I'm surprised that you manage to describe it as "anti-car rhetoric".

Anyone on a tight budget would have to respond to the VED increase by reducing some other expenditure or going into debt, and you chose to describe the idea that they would cut car use as "laughable". Sorry if you feel that's twisting your words; it still looks to me like a reasonable interpretation, but if I got it wrong, then I hope you can explain what exactly you find so funny about the situation, because I have clearly misunderstood your sense of humour.
You have misunderstood nothing. I was perfectly clearly describing your attitude and reading of the situation as laughable, not the idea of someone on the breadline.
You have deliberately misinterpreted in order to put forward a ridiculous argument that I am some kind of Marie Antoinette figure.
I refuse to accept that this was an accidental misinterpretation, whatever else you have proved with your diatribes, you're clearly not that stupid. Since it's not worth arguing a point with someone willing to take such steps to score points rather than actually continue to address the real point in question, I'm not going to bother any longer.
Even the car-hating green groups such as Friends of the Earth said
it wouldn't help the environment one jot brought green taxation into disrepute and wanted nothing
to do with it.

Not true. Friends of the Earth explicitly support this measure, and call for the government to go further by subsidising the scrapping of old gas guzzlers: see www.foe.co.uk/resource/press_releases/ved_04082008...l

You may be thinking of a comment by the Director of Greenpeace: tinyurl.com/6fn84r
Beg your pardon, yes. I got my eco groups confused.

With regard to FoE's stance on wishing to see healthy older cars of any kind prematurely scrapped, frankly I would suggest they have no comprehension of environmental impact whatsoever. Shocking for a so-called environmental protection group.

Given that these scrapped cars would need to be replaced (in the real world), and demand for new cars and the intense energy and raw material input they require would increase as a result, any claim this is environmentally beneficial is at best open to serious debate.

There have been various studies looking into the comparative environmental impact of buying a new car, and of keeping an older car on the road, and not one that I have read supports this view that scrapping an old car and buying a new one makes any sense whatsoever from a green perspective. I read one seemingly well researched report recently comparing the overall environmental impact of buying and running a new Prius against a 10 yr old, 35 mpg Toyota Tercel. With the total environmental cost taken into account, it apparently takes 100,000 miles for the Prius to "pay off" its manufacturing energy debt, and start to become more eco friendly than the 10yr old banger.

Edited by DP on 14/11/2008 at 00:21

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - captain chaos
Strange how years ago the greens' car of choice was the Citroen 2CV, one of the few cars that couldn't be converted to run on unleaded!
I agree about the environmental impact of building new cars..... I once read that one of the most environmentally friendly car manufacturers was Volvo due to the longevity of their products.
Retrospective legislation would be charging you for duty for past years. In other words you would get a bill for extra car tax for the last 5 years. That *is* unfair, because you have no chance to change what you did in the past.

However you want to label it, if you bought in the past under different VED rules, you're only chance of changing it is to take an enhanced loss by selling - you lose either way bacause you can't reverse that buying decision.

VED is only a tiny part of the cost of owning a car anyway, it makes very little difference. Life is too short to get upset about such things.

Correction , it was tiny, it will be (or would have been) ~10% or more of the value of some larger/older cars now, paid annually. That's a considerable difference to get 'upset' about in my view & will penalise those who need a larger car/suv/people-carrier etc. & could only afford to buy something older - which probably means they weren't that well-off in the first place.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Statistical outlier
"VED can be 10% or more of the value of used vehicles".

Why why why are so many on here obsessed with the notional value of their car if they chose to sell it??? Really, I don't get it.

Say your car is notionally only worth £2k. VED is £200, so yeah, it's 10% of your car's value. So, if you sell the car, you've got £2k cash and you haven't paid the £200 VED. Brilliant.

But you've now got no car. So, assuming that you still need / want an equivalent vehicle, you need to spend the cash you've got on another car. You could spend £2k again, and then pay the VED, and you're back to square 1. Or, but a smaller car, and say pay £35 VED, but now your car isn't what you wanted, and is likely to have cost you more.

The 'worth' of your car is completely irrelevant unless you don't need a car any more (okay, I now that's not actually true, but it's as true as all the other stupid arguments we here on this).

"It runs great, but I won't repair it because it would cost more than it's worth". Really? If it's repaired then you've got a fully functional car again, with none of the risks and hassles of getting a new one, which might be more of a dog (or it might not). Or you can trade up, spending more than the repair would have cost. You might want to do so, and that's fair enough, but it doesn't necessarily make economic sense.

The complete inability to think beyond incredibly simple concepts is one of the main reasons that this country is heading for such a massive mess at the moment.
"VED can be 10% or more of the value of used vehicles".

Why why why are so many on here obsessed with the notional value of their car if they chose to sell it??? Really, I don't get it.

Say your car is notionally only worth £2k. VED is £200, so yeah, it's 10% of your car's value. So, if you sell the car, you've got £2k cash and you haven't paid the £200 VED. Brilliant.

No, I'm afraid you don't get it. The point I was replying to was one of running costs & (effective) retrospective high-VED on low-value 2nd-hand cars. The enhanced VED rates make alot of difference if your car cost you (note: 'cost you' - not sitting around obsessing about it, but 'cost you'...) £4K, then to find next years VED eats into your limited budget by at least 10% of its value, which equals a big part of your budget.

So, the point as simply as I can make it is: poorer people who can't afford a new low-VED large car are regressively 'taxed' by galloping VED rates if they've bought that which they could afford before high-VEDs were introduced. Brilliant.
how can the government be allowed to plunge an industry into turmoil and
introduce another retrospective tax.

Ah, the old "retrospective" chestnut :( The VED changes are not retrospective: they will apply only to future years. Sure, the amount you pay next year will be influenced by decisions made earlier, but that's the same with many other taxes, such as council tax.

And "industry"?? What "industry"? There is very little car industry in this country, and the few major producers (Nissan, Honda and Toyota) are busy making relatively efficient cars which don't get hit by the increases. The rest is a trade, a trade consisting overwhelmingly of imports which hit the balance of payments.

One of the ironies of all this brouhaha is that the disruption of the motor trade is caused more by the panic induced by the noisy whining about the increases than the by the increases themselves. The highest increase is for a car emitting over 226g/km, up from £210 in 2006 to £455 in 2010. That's an extra £245, which is not small change to most people, but it is a small increase in the cost of running a car. Few vehicles in that category average over 30mpg, so on a typical 10,000 miles pa, they'll cost about £1500 a year in fuel. It only takes a 15% cut in the miles drive to offset the tax increase, and that 15% cut doesn't have to be done in one year, since the increases are being phased in
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Snakey
Excuse me for being ungrateful, but 'delaying' an increase on an already bloated tax metered onto an already overtaxed part of the population is not something that will give me a rush of love for the current government!
Yes-with due respect I think my previous post was not understood. The government have not shelved the retro element but merely postponed it as Snakey has pointed out. This is what I was railing up against.
Some very pompous answers on this thread. An extra £245 is a lot of money in my book. All this 'it's only a small part of motoring' is tosh. It's only a small part because everything else is taxed so highly as well. I can't even talk about this Government without spitting poison, I despise them that much.

And I venture that all those 'reduce your mileage' comments come from people who live in a City with a nice tube system. Try leaving home at 5am in a rural area and using public transport. Oh..hang on. I can't because it doesn't exist where I live. (I quite fancy home working..but doubt I'd have a very high arrest rate)
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - TheOilBurner
Some of your "customers" might be quite pleased though! :)
Some very pompous answers on this thread. An extra £245 is a lot of money
in my book. All this 'it's only a small part of motoring' is tosh. It's
only a small part because everything else is taxed so highly as well.

Not true. The biggest cost of motoring is depreciation, and the purchase-price tax on new cars in the UK is among the lowest in Europe.
Not true. The biggest cost of motoring is depreciation, and the purchase-price tax on new cars in the UK is among the lowest in Europe.

Well, by the same logic, the biggest cost of housing is the price - so that means we shouldn't be concerned about the level of council tax or not worry because it's small in relation to the house price?
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Optimist
Not really. Houses aren't generally depreciating assets. Cars generally are.

>>Not really. Houses aren't generally depreciating assets. Cars generally are

If you think about it, that just proves & amplifies my point. Even when the 'asset' doesn't depreciate, the level of council tax is mightily important & controversial - even though it's rarely 1.5% of the house price per year. High-VED regimes are like council tax bills of £10,000 pro rata.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Roger Jones
"Not true. The biggest cost of motoring is depreciation, . . ."

Not so true if you keep a new car a long time, as I have done. Not so true if you buy used cars and keep them a long time, as I have also done. True if you are on the "must have a new car every two years" mousewheel.
There is light at the end of the tunnel. The government has indicated that if they were to bring in road pricing, VED and fuel duty would be scrapped.
No, I don't believe it, either.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - The Melting Snowman
Better to scrap VED and put it on the fuel. Petrol 5p a litre, diesel at least 50p. :-)
Better to scrap VED and fuel duty and put it on a number plate renewable every year. No insurance and MOT, no number plate.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - motorprop
Basically captain Chaos, you are advocating transferring the road tax disc to the ( rear ? ) plate - at least inside the car it's hardly worthwhile stealing ... Also on a personal level, can somebody tell me what our family car will be taxed next year ? it's an 04 plate Auto 2.5 petrol Nissan X Trail, rated at 230 g / co2 per km..... the current tax runs out on 31st Jan... when are the new bands effective from ?
can somebody tell me what our family car will be taxed
next year ? it's an 04 plate Auto 2.5 petrol Nissan X Trail rated at
230 g / co2 per km..... the current tax runs out on 31st Jan... when
are the new bands effective from ?

See www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=20
I was advocating advertising to all and sundry the car was legal to be on the road, tamper proof fixings are available for number plates as they are being stolen so low lifes can do run-offs from petrol stations. As for a tax disc being safe inside the car, a friend of mine had his window smashed because he'd left a packet of cigarettes on view!
Which would send inflation go through the roof due to massive rises in Diesel fuelled transport costs.....I don't think so
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - PR {P}
Imagine the government suddenly decided to reband houses for council tax. An average 3 bed house would stay the same (approx £1000 pa). 4 bedroom houses and above, because they cost a lot more to heat and light and therefore bad for the environment will be upped to around 4x the amount (£4000 pa). Its not retrospective because they won't be taking tax from previous years and those who didnt see it coming would be daft since larger houses have always had higher council taxes.

Would that be fair?
Would that be fair?

No, but it would be consistent.

It would also affect the well heeled, public transport served city dwellers who, in my experience, make up the majority of the environmental movement.

Which is why it will never happen.

Cheers
DP
Imagine the government suddenly decided to reband houses for council tax. An average 3 bed
house would stay the same (approx £1000 pa). 4 bedroom houses and above because they
cost a lot more to heat and light and therefore bad for the environment will
be upped to around 4x the amount (£4000 pa). Its not retrospective because they won't
be taking tax from previous years and those who didnt see it coming would be
daft since larger houses have always had higher council taxes.
Would that be fair?

There are a few flaws in your comparison, most notably that cars are owned for a few years on average, whereas houses are a longer-term purchase, but also that the scale of multiplier you propose is much higher than under the new VED scheme, with a very crude banding.

All the same, it's an interesting question. The old rates system taxed owners roughly in proportion to the house's value, but the council tax uses a banding system to flatten the curve. So band B house (average value £46,000) pays 78% of the Band D charge, whereas a band H house (value £320,00 or over) pays 200% of the band D charge. If the tax was linear (as under the old rating system), the Band H house would pay five times as much as the Band B house, or 380% of the average. That's just short of the for times the average Band D rate, so it's almost the 4X multiplier you suggest.

The switch from rates to council tax was possible because the intermediate poll tax was totally unrelated to wealth or house size, and the council tax seemed much fairer than that arrangement, but the way the bands are charged means that those in big houses pay a lower proportion of the local tax than they used to. Whether or not you think that council tax is fairer than rates depends on whether (or to what extent) you think that the rich should pay more than the poor, but the change you ask about would put us in a similar situation to the 1920 road tax, which charged per horsepower.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - PR {P}

Don't mention the horsepower tax, I can see them using that once more people switch to diesel!!
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - smokie
Drifting off topic, I recently read Michael Crichton's (RIP) State Of Fear. Great read, from a guy who was always very diligent in his research. H The book is littered with references to real scientific articles which disprove global warming theories and causes. Seems not everyone agrees that cars are evil.
It is a great read, and sadly he was panned for it. Some of the remarks on a website allowing people to post their condolencies after his recent death were incredibly unkind and disrespectful.

I don't pretend to be a climate scientist, or to understand anything other than the general principles of the systems at work here. However, if I ask myself whether I think that, in the event the powers that be were presented today with irrefutable proof that man made climate change is total hogwash, would they tell us, my answer is sadly 'not a chance'.
I don't pretend to be a climate scientist or to understand anything other than the
general principles of the systems at work here. However if I ask myself whether I
think that in the event the powers that be were presented today with irrefutable proof
that man made climate change is total hogwash would they tell us my answer is
sadly 'not a chance'.

Your premise is nonsense, because science doesn't do "irrefutable proof" -- that sort of certainty belongs in the realms of faith-based systems such as religion. All scientific knowledge is provisional, and the best that science can do is to offer a high degree of probability, based on current interpretations of available data.

However, if politicians were persuaded that there was no need to take actions to prevent global warming, most of them would be delighted, because climate change concerns put them between a rock and a hard place. Sure, climate change has allowed some more taxes, but it also places politicians in conflict with powerful vested interests such as the automobile and aviation businesses, both of which have enough muscle to make politicians lives very uncomfortable.

Climate change is an inherently difficult issue for politicians, because it demands sacrifices now for gains in the future, by creating a need for expensive new sources of energy, new technologies for energy efficiency, etc, all of which diverts funds away from things which promise a much quicker political payback such as tax cuts or increased public spending. That's why we have seen opportunist politicians such as George W. Bush combining the fiscal irresponsibility of huge budget deficits in a boom with resisting demands to do something about climate change; both his policies offered immediate gain, which is why they were easy to sell until the chickens came home to roost. Same goes for Gordon Brown, who did sod all about climate change until recently, and also saddled the UK with massive off-balance-sheet debts in the form of PFI contracts.
"Underhanded spineless and cynical way this matter has been dealt with"

From politicians surely not!
Climate Change..if you want to save the planet kill a cow or bung up a volcano. Cars are just a nice easy tax revenue for a corrupt and morally and financially bankrupt Government.

(I still think No Wheels is Gordon Browns press secretary!!)
Yes looking at "Mr Wheels'" profile it is clear that he is not a car lover so why visit a car forum regularly? Not to say he is not welcome, this is a friendly place and he provokes interesting debate but it is a little odd from his perspective.
Yes looking at "Mr Wheels'" profile

I think Mr Wheels is a she, originally was No Wheels, until she bought Wheels, and became Now-Wheels.
.. not a car lover

which has been abundantly clear for a long time.
Not to say he is not welcome, this is a friendly place and he provokes interesting debate

and which is why I think she has not been, and I think should not be, hounded out.
I respect her right to express her views, and I think it is refreshing to see things from an alternative viewpoint.

And NoWheels is a she !
O.K Mrs Wheels then! However in all seriousness if this retrospective element ever goes ahead someone with something like a 7 year old Zafira 2.0 Automatic is going to face serious increases. Pity the poor man who runs a 2.0 Fiat Marea as well. This envronmental bruhaha has only really kicked off in the past couple of years and so it is is not fair to penalise somebody for buying a car before the CO2 hysteria started when people did not consider these things. As someone above said t is not just the financial issues but the sense that we are being treated like fools. If everyone went and bought a Prius tomorrow the government would loose goodness knows how much. That's all on this one folks, Im sick of it.
I'm struggling to understand why anyone other than NW would try to defend this tax grab.

Although dressed up as a Green Tax, that particular "chestnut" has been debunked by the Govt's own Environmental Audit Committee in their Tenth Report. tinyurl.com/5unvqx

"We were disappointed that the Treasury had not modelled what impact the rebanding of existing cars will have on carbon emissions. Presumably this means the Treasury does not have any idea of what levels of VED will either persuade people to trade in their existing cars sooner than they would otherwise, or choose a more efficient model when they next come to buy a second-hand car. This is particularly surprising given the Exchequer Secretary told us the changes to VED in the Budget were primarily made for environmental purposes. We recommend the Treasury urgently carry out and publish research on the impacts that these and other potential changes to VED would make to the second-hand car market, and resultant carbon emissions."

The Treasury also admitted that they hadn't even thought about how the changes would affect different income groups.

"The Treasury also states that around half of households in the lowest 20% of incomes pay no VED. However, according to the House of Commons Library, there is no comprehensive data on VED rates by income. On 10 July, the Financial Secretary was asked what proportion of the 9.4 million cars that are projected to be taxed more heavily as a result of these changes would be owned by low-income households. She replied: "Clearly, low-income families who have motor vehicles will be among those affected, but I do not have exact figures [?]""

So basically the Treasury had done no research whatsoever. They didn't care what the environmental effects would be. They didn't care what the financial effects would be. Like an addict they wanted a cash-fix, they wanted it now and damn the consequences. Their only problem was where to get it from.

So, the sights were set on the easiest target, a section of society with no organised pressure groups and no lobbyists - the private motorist. If they claimed it was a Green Tax they could even expect environmental groups to back them up and shout down any dissent couldn't they? Win, Win!

Unfortunately, for them, some environmental groups aren't as fanatical and stupid as the Treasury had hoped.

Greenpeace condemned it, Friends of the Earth complained that some owners "would be stuck with their existing car, and also with the higher VED" because they lacked "the financial capital to buy a different second-hand car, or access to easy credit terms to spread out payments cheaply."

What it boils down to is that this Govt. have exposed themselves yet again as nothing more than an incompetent bunch of bad liars with nothing but contempt for taxpayers.

NW can paste as much lipstick on this pig as she wants but only fools are being fooled.

Kevin...
I'm struggling to understand why anyone other than NW would try to defend this tax
grab.
Although dressed up as a Green Tax that particular "chestnut" has been debunked by the
Govt's own Environmental Audit Committee in their Tenth Report. tinyurl.com/5unvqx

I read that report, and I'm amused by your very selective quoting from it.

The opening para of the committee's conclusion, after considering all the evidence, is that "We strongly support the Treasury's use of VED as an environmental tax, and we welcome the changes announced in the Budget. However we are seriously concerned that even the projected differentials between VED bands remain too small to be effective and, in consequence, the projected carbon savings are far less than they could be. We also believe that both the proposed changes in VED rates and the objectives of VED as an environmental tax, have been poorly explained and communicated." (see tinyurl.com/67xqjp )

So, far from Kevin's claim that the reports is a "debunking" of the VED rises as a green tax, the committee's main concern is that the VED rises are too low and have been inadequately explained. Sure the committee wants more research, and also consideration of a scrappage scheme, but it most certainly does not reject the rises, and it's a gross distortion of the report to claim that it does. See also the report's summary, at tinyurl.com/5h3evd
So, the sights were set on the easiest target, a section of society with no organised
pressure groups and no lobbyists - the private motorist. If they claimed it was a
Green Tax they could even expect environmental groups to back them up and
shout down any dissent couldn't they?

If you seriously believe that the private motorist has no lobbyists, I'm flabbergasted. The AA and RAC both have lobbying arms, as does huge chunks of the motor trade, and they have an awful lot more resources than does the green lobby. Both the SMMT and the RAC foundation gave evidence to the committee, balancing against one submission from FoE, and one broadly neutral submission from Roy Wood.
The AA
and RAC both have lobbying arms as does huge chunks of the motor trade and
they have an awful lot more resources than does the green lobby. Both the SMMT
and the RAC foundation gave evidence to the committee balancing against one submission from FoE and one broadly neutral submission from Roy Wood.

I am racking my brains trying to think of a single press release from the RAC Foundation in response to a proposed piece of government legislation that wasn't neutral or in favour of that legislation. I certainly can't think of anything that they were instrumental in overturning or reversing.

I think the problem is that the motorist is perceived to be represented, when in actual fact this representation is toothless and ineffective. In real terms, I cannot think of an organisation which regularly fights the motorists' corner.

VED - U-turn on car tax rises - smokie
"I cannot think of an organisation which regularly fights the motorists' corner"

The IAM sprang to mind. Having checked their "recent news", I have to agree with you....
Absolutely and if the the governent tried to implement any scrapping scheme you would see a lot of classic car owners taking up arms. The reason cars are targeted with such zeal by this government is because they represent choice, individuality and freedom and in many cases financal success: something that left wing politicians have a big problem with exccept when it comes to themselves: Enough said.

Edited by Mattbod on 14/11/2008 at 10:47

The reason cars are targeted with such zeal by this governent is because
they represent choice individuality and freedom

That's pretty much what the motor industry would like you to believe, as you hand over large chunks of your cash, and they'd be well-pleased that you have got their message. Your choice is in fact limited to a selection of technically conservative machines with unnecessarily short usable lives, while the motor industry has a long long history of sabotaging other choices. The most blatant example is GM's buying up of tram companies to shut them down (see observer.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,,177687...l or similar reports in The Times, to which I can't post a link here), but there are also plenty of examples of the oil and car companies buying up patents for new transport technologies and sitting on them to prevent the emergence of alternatives to their businesses.
I agree with some of the points you raise, and of course the car companies are businesses who are in it for no other reason to make money. Their marketing fluff and carefully crafted "images" are therefore appropriately designed to maximise this.

That said, a car of even the most conservative and tedious provides more choice and personal freedom than even the most perfectly designed public transport system is capable of delivering. Using a car, I can decide to go from point A to point B on a whim, and with no consideration for any schedule other than my own. I can't with public transport, and can't even get close unless I live in a big city and wish to travel to another point in a big city.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 14/11/2008 at 11:24

That said a car of even the most conservative and tedious provides more choice and
personal freedom than even the most perfectly designed public transport system is capable of delivering.
Using a car I can decide to go from point A to point B on
a whim and with no consideration for any schedule other than my own. I can't
with public transport and can't even get close unless I live in a big city
and wish to travel to another point in a big city.

Yes, cars do offer a lot of flexibility that way. But in many situations, the choice ends up being between one car and another, because non-car alternatives have been stifled. Try, for example, cycling through a major city in the UK, and you'll find that choice pretty miserable and dangerous because the roads are designed for cars or cars. Or try taking a bus in a city, and you'll find the service infrequent and unreliable because the bus spends most of its time stuck in queues of cars.

Public transport in the UK is awful outside of London and the mainline rail services, but other countries have well-integrated public transport systems which do allow easy travel between places which aren't in the centre of big cities. The best example I ever saw was Israel, where a well-planned bus system with proper interchanges makes long-distance bus travel quite an efficient option. Those who don't want to use a car, can't drive, or can't afford one, can choose to use the bus, but in the UK we have structured things to limit or exclude that option.

Consider too the question of children going to school. The car-centric transport systems have increased the dangers to children of walking or cycling, so parents drive the kids in a car. That's a restriction of choice and freedom.
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - TheOilBurner
Try for example cycling through a major city in the UK and you'll find that
choice pretty miserable and dangerous because the roads are designed for cars or cars.

That's a sentiment I totally agree with. Road design tends to be good for cars, OK for pedestrians and terrible for cyclists. Most roundabouts are disaster areas, as are right turns with filter lanes, even on slower roads. Not to mention narrow roads or worse yet pinch points for pedestrian crossings on otherwise wide streets...

I'm a confident and relatively fit cyclist, but I still feel intimidated on many roads. Novices would quickly find themselves frightened back into their cars after 1 or 2 attempts on just about any journey longer than a mile or so on roads you wouldn't think twice about when driving.
I will not discuss VED any fourther as I have said NowWheels but on your point of "technical conservative machines" : From an old Citroens like the DS or lovely little GS to Subaru developing Boxer Diesel as it's their way, Honda V-Tec valve timing technology, High efficency turbo Diesels, direct fuel injection for petrols to give you a random selection. Others who have more knowledge will add more no doubt. I think the industry has a mountain to climb balancing conflicting aims such as safety (more weight) with getting down emissions and they balance them very well.I test drove a SEAT Leon for a piece a few week ago that provided lots of space and comfort but only 119g/km. Part of the reason manufacturers are in such financial hock is because these rules mean billions need to be spent developing new models.

I personally have held on to my cars and looked after them. My first a 10 year old Fiat Uno 45 FIRE sold after seven years wih 100,000 miles and in good condition ( still ran pefectly when I sold it), My Peugeot 106 1.1 I had for 5 years and 77,000 miles and was immaculate when I sold it. I don't doubt the underhand tactics you mention but it does not hide the fact that the ideas of individual choice and freedom are diametrically opposed to hard left credo and there are a lot of "ex" marxists in our government.

Edited by Mattbod on 14/11/2008 at 14:42

I am racking my brains trying to think of a single press release from the
RAC Foundation in response to a proposed piece of government legislation that wasn't neutral or
in favour of that legislation. I certainly can't think of anything that they were instrumental
in overturning or reversing.

I have been a lobbyist in my time, on issues unrelated to these, and the absence of hostile press releases merely shows that an organisation is not engaging in the sort of megaphone diplomacy which leaves them outside shouting. Most effective media work is not done by press releases either.
I have been a lobbyist in my time on issues unrelated to these

Fancy that! :)
>I read that report, and I'm amused by your very selective quoting from it.

I selectively posted because only an idiot would post the whole lot. I did however provide a link to the whole document for anyone interested. The implication that I was trying to hide something is exactly what I would expect from you though.

As far as the rest of my post goes, is it the writing style that I and a few other on here use that confuses you, or do you have a more general comprehension problem?

No-one on this thread has made the slightest suggestion that VED rates cannot be used as "green taxes" - quite the reverse.

The point that most people have been making is that the latest VED increases were NOT green taxes but just another tax hike dressed up as a green tax.

>So, far from Kevin's claim that the reports is a "debunking" of the VED rises as a green tax, the
>committee's main concern is that the VED rises are too low and have been inadequately explained.

You are deliberately misreading the content of that document. The committee was critical of the VED increases because if they were truly "Green Taxes" they would have to be much higher to have any real effect and the Treasury hadn't even bothered to do any research. The committee knew that the story was nonsense.

>but it most certainly does not reject the rises, and it's a gross distortion of the report to claim
>that it does.

Please stop this misquoting carp! It's becoming tiresome correcting you.

Where did I say that the committee rejected the increases?

Kevin...
VED - U-turn on car tax rises - Lud
Goodness NW, you really are an indefatigable bureaucrat among other things. Perhaps you will accept a small fee for representing me next time some London borough tries to pick my pocket for an alleged parking or other infraction? It's the endless recycling of a small number of simple elements that so often causes me to give up out of sheer boredom, nearly always to my cost.

While lost in admiration, I must remember never to be tempted to libel you in a red mist moment... :o}
Kevin, your selective quoting was in taking a small snippet and ignoring the fact that conclusions drawn by the committee pointed in the opposite direction to what you wanted to claim.

Read the committee's conclusion again: "We strongly support the Treasury's use of VED as an environmental tax, and we welcome the changes announced in the Budget. However we are seriously concerned that even the projected differentials between VED bands remain too small to be effective"
You are deliberately misreading the content of that document. The committee was critical of the
VED increases because if they were truly "Green Taxes" they would have to be much
higher to have any real effect

Not at all; I am not misreading it. The committee explicitly acknowledges it as a step in the right direction, but not a big enough step. Right direction but inadequate speed is not the "debunking" you claimed above.

You pounced on the lack of research and modelling, and from that you made a big leap to your conclusion that this was all a cynical tax grab. Not necessarily so; plenty of decisions are made without detailed modelling, which may be sloppy or may be due to lack of resources, but you leap straight from a few paras of the committee's report, past their own measured conclusion, to your own hysterical pronouncement that, as you put it "They didn't care what the environmental effects would be. They didn't care what the financial effects would be".

You then manage to contradict yourself in the next sentence, when you say "they wanted a cash-fix". Which was it? That they didn't care about the financial effect, or that they wanted more taxes? And do you understand the difference between not caring and not measuring?
As far as the rest of my post goes, is it the writing style that I and a few other on
here use that confuses you

Well, I don't think that your tendency to hyperbolic labelling of the treasury in tabloid terms as "fanatical" and as "addicts" and an "incompetent bunch of bad liars with nothing but contempt for taxpayers" lends much credence to your arguments, but the main problem with your writing style is your ability to contradict yourself between one sentence and the next. If you just want to vent, that's fine, but don't complain when your argument is exposed as more heat than light.

You may well disagree with what the treasury does, but if you really think that the Treasury officials and ministers are fanatics, I'm afraid that you obviously haven't met many of the policy-grade civil servants who work on this sort of issue. They may get things badly wrong, as you believe they have done in this case and I believe they have done over PFI, but if you actually bothered to check rather than just venting, you'd find that they are carefully-selected analysts rather the "fanatics" you like to imagine.
I read the conculsion NW but you cannot ignore the rest of the document, much as you would like to.

>You pounced on the lack of research and modelling, and from that you made a big leap to your
>conclusion that this was all a cynical tax grab.

Tenth Report, Conclusion Para 69.

"Research has indicated that public support for green taxes goes up when there is an element of hypothecation of the revenues to environmental investment, or matching reductions in other taxes.[63] The Treasury habitually rejects hypothecation in principle; despite the fact that the Prime Minister himself, while Chancellor, explicitly endorsed it in the case of the Climate Change Levy (CCL).[64] The Exchequer Secretary told us that the distinction between CCL and VED was that the former was established specifically as an environmental tax, whereas VED was a pre-existing tax which the Treasury had decided to make "sensitive to environmental concerns".[65] We are not wholly persuaded by this distinction."

Is that clear enough for you?

>plenty of decisions are made without detailed modelling, which may be sloppy or may be
>due to lack of resources

We don't pay them to be sloppy or take uninformed decisions. We expect them to be professional and competent.

>your own hysterical pronouncement..

Hysterical? If I wanted to be hysterical!!!! I could be hysterical!!!!!

>You then manage to contradict yourself in the next sentence, when you say "they wanted a cash-fix".
>Which was it? That they didn't care about the financial effect, or that they wanted more taxes?

I fail to see any contradiction if you insert the implied "to Joe Public" after "financial effect". Either it's my writing or your comprehension again.

>Well, I don't think that your tendency to hyperbolic labelling of the treasury in tabloid terms as "fanatical"

I did not label them as fanatics, you are misquoting again and I see very little evidence that they are not an "incompetent bunch of bad liars with nothing but contempt for taxpayers".

No research - incompetent.
"As a result in 2009 the majority of drivers will be better or no worse off" - Bad liars
BazzaBear can explain the contempt accusation.

>is your ability to contradict yourself between one sentence and the next.

That is purely your own limited interpretation of my post.

>but don't complain when your argument is exposed as more heat than light.

NW, your contributions to this thread consist of misquotes, deliberate misinterpretation and name-calling. Whenever the facts do not fit your argument you resort to trying to change the argument. Is that what you consider to be "light"?

>but if you really think that the Treasury officials and ministers are fanatics,

How many times do you have to misquote me or misread my posts? I've already told you it's getting tiresome.

Kevin...
Tenth Report Conclusion Para 69.
"Research has indicated that public support for green taxes goes up when there is an
element of hypothecation of the revenues to environmental investment or matching reductions in other taxes.[63]

[snip]
Is that clear enough for you?

Quite clear, Kevin. That para is about the merits of hypothecation in building public support for a green tax, not about whether it actually is a green tax. It's perfectly possible to have a tax which penalises environmentally negative behaviour without any hypothecation of the revenues towards some environmentally sensitive goal.

Edited by NowWheels on 14/11/2008 at 22:30

>That para is about the merits of hypothecation in building public support for a green tax,

And what are they trying to say with this bit?

>..VED was a pre-existing tax which the Treasury had decided to make "sensitive to environmental concerns".[65] We are not wholly persuaded by this distinction."

Kevin...
>That para is about the merits of hypothecation in building public support for a green
tax
And what are they trying to say with this bit?
>..VED was a pre-existing tax which the Treasury had decided to make "sensitive to environmental
concerns".[65] We are not wholly persuaded by this distinction."

Hypothecation used to be absolute no-no in the Treasury; the principle was long held that all revenue went to the Consolidated Fund. The committee noted that the treasury long-standing opposition to hypothecation had been relaxed for some new environmental taxes, but not for an existing tax with added environmental impact, and didn't feel that the treasury had fully proven its for case not hypothecating this one.

That point of argument is one that we are going to see again and again, because it's a minefield with no easy answer (which I guess is why the committee left its conclusion open on that point). All the major parties are agreed on the principle of using the tax system to discourage CO2 emissions, and it's easy to see why hypothecation may appear to make the idea easier to promote, and might channel funds into environmentally appropriate projects. The first difficulty is that if a tax is hypothecated to some some environmental expenditure, then what happens if the tax achieves its effect, and revenues fall as CO2 emissions fall in that sector? Does the environmental expenditure then get cut too?

Hypothecation of existing taxes brings its own problems. How much of the tax do you hypothecate to an environmental project? If it's fully hypothecated, then that leaves a problematic hole in the consolidated fund, and if it's partially hypothecated, how much should be retained for the consolidated fund? If restructuring taxes to have an environmental benefit (e.g. by increasing taxation on polluting activities) leads to demands for hypothecation, will that build public support for such taxes or just deter the treasury from introducing them (because it would deplete the consolidated fund), or will it just generate a pile of extra calculations to make treasury accounts even more complex?

That argument is going to run and run, and will cross party lines.
NW, I didn't ask for a patronising explanation of the Treasury's abhorence of hypothecation.

I asked you what the committee meant by:

..VED was a pre-existing tax which the Treasury had decided to make "sensitive to environmental concerns".[65] We are not wholly persuaded by this distinction."

>That point of argument is one that we are going to see again and again..

Why are you trying to change the argument again?

Kevin...
NW I didn't ask for a patronising explanation of the Treasury's abhorence of hypothecation.
I asked you what the committee meant by:
..VED was a pre-existing tax which the Treasury had decided to make "sensitive to environmental
concerns".[65] We are not wholly persuaded by this distinction."
>That point of argument is one that we are going to see again and again..
Why are you trying to change the argument again?

I'm not changing it. You asked what that meant, and the answer is that it is about the merits or otherwise of hypothecation when an existing tax is restructured, as would be very clear if you started reading from the beginning of the paragraph instead of jumping to the middle of third sentence, chopping that sentence in half to strip it of its context. (You've done much the same with my words, editing the quote to omit my explanation and making it appear as if my response began with the one-line you snipped from a later paragraph)

As I wrote above, "The committee noted that the treasury long-standing opposition to hypothecation had been relaxed for some new environmental taxes, but not for an existing tax with added environmental impact, and didn't feel that the treasury had fully proven its for case not hypothecating this one."

I'm sorry that you find an explanation of hypothecation patronising. You asked "what are they trying to say with this bit?", and I answered. If you don't want an answer, why ask?
>You've done much the same with my words,

NW, I clipped your post for two reasons.

Firstly, it is usenet and forum etiquette.
Secondly, the content was irrelevant. No-one wanted a repeated explanation of "the merits or otherwise of hypothecation".

Now, I would have expected someone who has "been a lobbyist in my time" to know what a politician means when he/she writes We are not wholly persuaded by this distinction. especially in the context in which it was written and in a document for public consumption.

It doesn't mean not "fully proven", it means "You're lying, that's BS and you know it."

>If you don't want an answer, why ask?

Because it amuses me to see all the convoluted excuses and semantic juggling you come up with to justify a badly thought out and unjust tax.

Kevin...
Firstly, it is usenet and forum etiquette.

Have you noticed that NW frequently quotes the whole message in her replies?

Anyway, this has become another tedious repetitive anti-4x4 thread, time to lock it perhaps?

Yes we have and we've told her - however as you say its become tedious and we're locking the thread. Maybe now people see why we hate this post quoting business.