water in diesel fuel filter - tizadu
Well, I've had my welcome to the diesel world! Just bought an old diesel Peugot 309 and driving along a few days ago the 'water in fuel filter' light went on. Have done a little research and it seems this is a common diesel problem. I have several questions but please let me know if they're not appropriate for posting on this site -

Could this indicate something more serious than poor quality diesel fuel (last filled up with Sainsbury's diesel, I think)? As far as I can see from an internet search, changing or draining the fuel filter solves the problem - is this something a total novice can do or should I take it to a garage? (I think I've found a website that shows me how to do it)

I've left it parked since the light came on - is it OK to drive it for a few more miles (how many?) or fix the problem before moving?

Thanks anyone.
water in diesel fuel filter - oldnotbold
It's equally possible that you are getting a false reading. I had a 405 that did it from time to time.

Get the Haynes manual. Changing the filter won't take away the issue of the water, but it's a five minute job costing about £6.00 for the filter. You need just one allen key, I suspect, but I've not seen a 309 so I may be wrong.
water in diesel fuel filter - jc2
Very few cars have a warning light;most filters have a drain on the bottom.