03 2.0 Airbag light and faint sniff of petrol - AndrewMarc
I have the airbag warning light on my 53 reg Mondeo but am abit scint and wondered how expensive it COULD be. I hope not too much!

The other problem I have is that when I put the blower on this morning i could smell a faint wiff of petrol. I have not had the blower on recently as not required and have not smelt the petrol.

Please help

Edited by Pugugly on 02/10/2008 at 22:53

53 2.0 Airbag warning light and faint sniff of pet - cheddar
The airbag warning light could be any fault in the system though is likely to be the "clockspring" within the steering wheel, the cable that enable the airbag, horn button, radio controls to connect even though the steering wheel turns, does the light go out when you start engine though come on when you move the steering wheel? If so that is a sure sign.

I had mine done by the dealer, cant recall the cost though not vast.

53 2.0 Airbag warning light and faint sniff of pet - AndrewMarc
On starting the engine it isnt on then it tends to flash for a while and then becomes on all the time. It will then randomly flicker but tends to go back to being on all the time.

Thanks for the quick response
53 2.0 Airbag warning light and faint sniff of pet - cheddar
Start the engine and leave it idling with out touching the steering, see if the light stays off, then move the steering wheel and see if it comes on.
53 2.0 Airbag warning light and faint sniff of pet - jimbano
Hi,

A common problem on Fords that bring the airbag light on is a poor connection under the seat.. Usually the drivers as that is the one more prone to sliding backwards and forwards.

You say that the light goes out and then flashes a few times. Count the flashes.. If it's four flashes and then a pause, then four flashes again, it's a seatbelt tensioner fault.

Try and dis-connect the yellow plug under the seat, wiggle the wire a bit and then reconnect. The light may now go out, but could come on again at some other time.

Try this on both seats, possibly more than once and then check. Failing that get the codes read from the airbag ecu for a more accurate diagnosis.

Hope this helps

James
53 2.0 Airbag warning light and faint sniff of pet - AndrewMarc
Thank you both so much - I really appreciate your help.

Anybody any comments about the petrol smell?
53 2.0 Airbag warning light and faint sniff of pet - mjm
>>Anybody any comments about the petrol smell?<<

Are you sure that it's petrol and not "stale" heater smell? (You said that you hadn't used the blower for a while)

I think you will have to have a look under the bonnet for signs of weeping from the fuel pipes. If you do it with the engine running the fuel system will be at its working pressure.

(Don't use naked lights when looking :))