Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - Chris79
At the start of the this month i took delivery of a new a3 sportback. Having covered a 1000 miles since, today whilst driving along I heard a loud metallic sound from the car (It almost sounded like something was hanging down from the car and scraping along the floor). Having checked nothing is, the car went to the local audi dealer who could find no fault. This noise lasted for about 300 metres and then dissapeared. Any ideas what it could have been?. One suggestion i've had was that a stone had got between the pads / discs or the plate that was meant to be stopping this from happening was touching the discs.

Any ideas, and has anyone else had this trouble?.
Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - daveyjp
I had a similar steel on disk noise, lasted until I stopped and drove off again. Never heard it since.
Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - Aretas
I have had a stone stuck between a disc and its backing plate. The noise is very disconcerting and I seem to remember it varied depending on whether I was going round a corner or not.
Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - scipi
Had this on my Golf a few months back after driving 100meters along a dirt road. Sounded like a teaspoon in a metal can. Put the car in reverse and it went away. According to the VAG dealer it was most probably caused by a stone and that they have a few people every week calling in with this problem.
Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - Chris79
Hopefully thats what it was, thanks for your help with this
Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - brian__s

I've had a similar problem.

Noticed a horrible grating sound like metal dragging along the floor or a shovel on gravel. Was very intermitent and I couldn't see anything wrong. A week or so later I then heard a clang type noise and sounded like something has flung off and hit something. Still no answer but I'm guessing this could have been a stone stuck somewhere and finally dislodged and hit something on the way out. It's made me quite paranoid driving and would be intersted to know if anyone else has this issue and discovered it to be a possible stone or something else.....

Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - SLO76
Had the same on our Polo not long back. Missus called me in a panic saying the car was knackered so I went to swap her with our other car. Quick drive down the road revealed a similar noise to what you describe. I pulled over, had a look then reversed round a corner to get back onto the road and the noise was gone never to return. Must've been a stone.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/02/2017 at 13:38

Strange noise from Audi A3 Sportback - FoxyJukebox

I once had a small branch caught crossways between the mid exhaust, just touching the wheel on the inside. I thought the bottom of the car was going to fall apart!-down on muddy hands and knees and a hard manual jerk was required-but all was well

This was on an A3--but it could have happened on any car.