1993 1769 non turbo diesel, poor starting - Shef
My Peugeot Diesel 1769 non Turbo doesn't really want to start in cold weather, in warm weather it's fine. Injectors replaced in December, Glow Plugs & Battery fine. I've had a look at the valve clearances and all 4 inlets have no gap, the exhausts are correct, how is this so? I can understand a wider gap through wear but no gap, well. Would this cause my problem? Or is there something else?

slt

Edited by Pugugly on 28/06/2008 at 18:27

1993 1769 non turbo diesel, poor starting - Screwloose
Shef

Low sulphur diesel causes valve seat regression on the inlets. Get them re-set and that should aid your starting.
Winter's coming I've got to get this done. I need to change the timing belt anyway so I am thinking of thinner tappet shims. Are these available on sale or return as it will be trial and error, there being no gap I have no starting point. Does anybody know where I can get help with this. Hampshire/Surrey area but not strictly limited. Am honest will post back unused shims.
1993 1769 non turbo diesel, poor starting - Peter.N.
The problem is that the shims have no markings, so you will have to accuratly measure them to find the thickness you need. If you can do that and work out the thickness you need you should be able to buy them, but I dont know about sale or return! You could try and find a scrap XUD engine or head, you should to be able to get near what you want with the selection from that.

No inlet clearance would certainly cause poor starting. If you disconnect the air intake pipe, you will probably be able to hear it 'phutting' from the manifold.
1993 1769 non turbo diesel, poor starting - thomp1983
number the shims you have so you know which cylinder they originally belog to, then swap them around to see if it gives you a clearence then, once you find a clearence the process for judging he right size is listed in the haynes manual. you can also swap the exhaust shims too if required, there should be enough between the 8 shims to get a gap to make measurements from.

chris
Fixed after 4 years and a lot of winter moaning. Haven't been around for a while, thanks to all who contributed. Answer was all four inlet valve tappet clearances had closed up, 2 wouldn't fit a 1 1/2 thou feeler so could have been at zero. Result, valves open early and close late, lack of proper compression. Exhaust tappets were spot on. Now starts first time every time.