Sunroof and preventing leaking - Greg R
If I want to lubricate the sunroof rubber, what would be the best item to use. I thought about grease or wd40 - please let me know what else can be used and where it can be purchased.

Thanks
Sunroof and preventing leaking - Tron
www.screwfix.com/prods/84222/Automotive/Car-Lubric...l

Some lubricants will react with certain types of rubber. The description given with this product, says it is safe to use though.
Sunroof and preventing leaking - bathtub tom
I've used silicon grease, the stuff you get from plumbers merchants for assembling plastic fittings. Apply it very sparingly. It's even sealed a leaky sunroof once!
I also use it on door rubbers, to prevent them freezing up.
Sunroof and preventing leaking - billy25
They say I hear! that you should never use oil. grease. or vaseline on rubber as it causes rapid deterioration. there is a product however available from chemists that is specially formulated to lubricate rubber, but how you keep your face straight when asking for a kilo tub defeats me!

Billy
Sunroof and preventing leaking - mjm
I suppose that asking for it could turn your legs to jelly.

:)
Sunroof and preventing leaking - oldgit
I did post here but it was removed for some reason. (you were trying to avoid the swearfilter - hence the removal)

What I said was that if you use Silicone grease, use it very sparingly around the rubber seal as any excess, during a heavy downpour of rain, may find its way onto the windscreen with all the trouble that will ensue of having silicone grease on glass!!

Edited by Webmaster on 03/04/2008 at 15:01

Sunroof and preventing leaking - zookeeper
fit a new rubber if its leaking, if not then leave it alone
Sunroof and preventing leaking - DP
A few deft squirts with an aerosol can of silicone lube should do the job.

My £2.99 can has fixed several sticky electric windows now. No reason it shouldn't work just as well on a sunroof, and is perfectly safe on rubber.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 03/04/2008 at 14:24

I've used silicon grease the stuff you get from plumbers merchants for assembling plastic fittings.

I went into my local Plumb Centre a few year's back now to buy a jar of Silicone grease and after fiddling away on his computer's keyboard the salesperson said that it was not a stock item!! I told him that it must be as it is used in plastic pipe seal assemblies etc. I then asked what he was entering into their database and lo and behold he was entering the word 'Silicant'. No wonder he had no success and it was only when I told him how to spell the word correctly, did we have success and he found the product on the shelf.
Sunroof and preventing leaking - doctorchris
I've looked at the rubber seal on the sunroof of our Honda Jazz and the face that seals onto the bodywork seems to have a "fuzzy felt" finish. I would have thought that lubricating this type of finish would actually encourage leaking.
In addition, there are channels to drain water away if it does bypass the seal. Does the presence of the "fuzzy felt" finish suggest that a minimal amount of leaking is built into the system and is quite acceptable?
Sunroof and preventing leaking - sierraman
Mentioning drainholes,if these become blocked water can enter the cab,make sure they are clear using a thin flexible wire,welding rod for example.I second the use of silicone spray,I use it on window channels to maintain smooth operation.
I think that a lot of you are missing the point here. The so-called seal is not really a seal in the true sense but only a means of keeping out/deflecting the bulk of rainwater falling on the roof of the car. The sunroof glass is designed with considerable overhang all the way round and water getting past the 'seal' in led away down the drain holes and it is these that must be kept clear of obstructions.
I don't lubricate my sunroof's surround on the Golf (unlike my old Rover's rubber surrounds) merely because it, like someone else has mentioned, is a felt-like material that would not take kindly or benefit from the application of any 'grease'.
Sunroof and preventing leaking - Manatee
Aftermarket pop up sunroof seals can be lubricated with silicone oil or grease.

Factory sunroofs only have a dust/draft seal (the fuzzy felt thing) - if they are 'leaking' it probably means one or more of the drain tubes is blocked.