1997 2.0 GTi 8v - Screaching/ whining noise - whohellhe
P reg Golf 2.0 Gti 8v Engine type agg
{above info now included in subject header as per the ignored request!}

I have had a screeching noise coming from the belt area of the car. All belts have been changed apart from the timing belt. The water pump is new and also the alternator. The timing belts life is 45.000 miles. When the belt is changed do the pulleys need to be changed as well. If so which ones and how much would it cost. I am thinking the pulleys that the timing belt rest on are responsible for the noise. What do you think?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/02/2008 at 10:12

1997 2.0 GTi 8v - Screaching/ whining noise - Dynamic Dave
Have the belts been re-adjusted since being fitted? New belts tend to stretch a bit after being fitted. Unless you've got belt tensioners, they'll need re-adjusting.
1997 2.0 GTi 8v - Screaching/ whining noise - maltrap
when the belts changed so should the tensioner [not the pulleys] it could be the tensioner thats making the noise
1997 2.0 GTi 8v - Screaching/ whining noise - chewer1
I agree could be the cambelt tensioner - Mine siezed [ same engine ] and polished the back of the belt - without breaking it !! Check this ASAP
1997 2.0 GTi 8v - Screaching/ whining noise - whohellhe
Many thanks for all your assistance. The tensioner was the cause and the back of the belt was also polished. I have changed the timing belt and the tensioner and all is well til the next time..
Cheers to all who helped

Who hell He
1997 2.0 GTi 8v - Screaching/ whining noise - ggh1
I always change my AGG engine cam belt and tensioner at 40,000 miles as recommended by Haynes Books instead of 60,000 miles recommended by VW.
1997 2.0 GTi 8v - Screaching/ whining noise - ggh1
Also make sure you have the right tensioner to fit the tensioner mounting stud, VW did change the dia. of the stud, so you can end up with a small dia. stud and a large dia. mounting hole in the tensioner!