Motorway Driving - scouseford
I am sure that I must be airing a subject that has been discussed before but I would welcome comments from anybody with an opinion.

Earlier this week I had one of the more frightening experiences of my 45 year driving life. I had to access a 2-lane motorway in appalling weather conditions (very strong wind and stair-rod rain). The overhead signs were set at 30 mph and the traffic was nose to tail. I just managed to slide into the inside lane before the slip road ran out (nobody would give way) and I had a 37 tonner ahead of me and another one behind.

It was impossible to get out onto the outside lane because of the volume of traffic (and as I was only due to be on the road for 3 junctions it was more prudent to stay on the inner lane anyway). To give myself some leeway I very slowly decelerated until I had about 5 car lengths gap ahead of me. Bear in mind that I had my wipers on at full speed and forward visibility was still seriously impaired. The reaction of the artic driver behind was almost manic. He flashed me 4 or 5 times and then left his main beam on before doing me the favour of coming so close behind that his headlights were not visible in my rear view mirror.

I decided to cut my losses and left the motorway at the next junction.

I consider myself to be an experienced driver (don?t we all?) but I felt helpless in the conditions that prevailed.

Is there a driving technique that is recommended for such conditions?
Motorway Driving - PW
Hi Scouseford, don't think there's much else you could have done, as from what you've said the biggest danger was the driver behind you.

Do exactly the same myself. If I don't like the standard of driving on motorways I always come off to take the scenic route. If has got to the point where I perceive there is a high chance of an accident, I neither want to be in it, or held up by it- especially if got the family in the car.

Does take a bit longer, but is a lot less stressful.

Motorway Driving - billy25
no wonder the wagon driver behind you was angry!
assuming an average car length to be 16ft, then 5 car lengths would equal 80ft, in his opinion you could probably get two 40ft artics in there! ;-)

Billy
Motorway Driving - b308
no wonder the wagon driver behind you was angry!
assuming an average car length to be 16ft then 5 car lengths would equal 80ft
in his opinion you could probably get two 40ft artics in there! ;-)

I take it that was tongue in cheek! I doubt the stopping distance for either vehicle in those conditions would be only 80ft!

As regards the 2 second rule mentioned elsewhere - thats only in good weather - it increases in the wet....

But I'm sure that everyone knew that.... ;-)

I'm with the OP on this and in conditions like that I'd hope that our "knights of the road" would have shown a little consideration to let him in in the first place!

Edited by b308 on 12/01/2008 at 16:13

Motorway Driving - ForumNeedsModerating
No, no ,no no , no - it couldn't have been an HGV1 driver - they're all professional drivers who have to put up with crazy inconsiderate car drivers. Why, only last week a thread here clearly proved what skill & consideration they apply to their work. It seems from your post that you were actually trying to leave a safe gap! Well, what with all the other stuff lorry drivers have to put up with... that must have been the final straw. [not]
Motorway Driving - Alby Back
Same deal on M6 thru' Brum yesterday. Torrential rain and subsequent road spray. Heavy traffic, I try to leave a safe gap in any lane and within seconds some kind person presumably with an invulnerability cloak fills it in. Dumb Schmucks !
Motorway Driving - jmaccyd
It always amazes me that so many driver's, in terrible weather on our motorways, seem to have direct access to the Force or some other mythical power that enable them to continue at such high speed despite the obvious dangers.
Motorway Driving - Baskerville
From up there where he was he could see a lot further than scouseford could.

But how does that help Scouseford? Should he have thought "As long as he's tailgating me it must be clear up ahead, so despite being unable to see anything at all I'll go faster so as not to hold up the delivery of more pointless junk that will be landfill in three years' time"?
Motorway Driving - FotheringtonThomas
Let them get on with it. If they want to go faster, they can either overtake, or find another road. You should not compromise safety by "going with the herd" in this sort of situation - the herd are lemmings, you see.

The only things I can think of, offhand, that might've caused such a bone-headed reaction are a) stupidity, and b) being peeved about your "slide into the inside lane" (not that either is an excuse for agressive of dangerous driving).
Motorway Driving - Sofa Spud
I used to be an HGV driver but I had a terrifying drive (in my car) when I was tailgated for miles along the A47 in Norfolk by an idiot in a very unusual artic - it was an American Cabover type, I think a White. This was many years ago but it was like that film Duel, where the truck tailgates the car. At 50 mph this thing was literally 2 - 3 feet from my bumper, and even when I accelerated to 60 or more he was still hanging on, yet he wouldn't overtake when he had the opportunity. I remember having to force my way past a parked vehicle in a village because if I'd tried to stop the lorry would have gone into the back of me.
Motorway Driving - pda
There was very little else you could do scouseford.

I would think the reasons for the HGV driver's anger behind you, was that he saw you as 'slotting into the safe stopping distance' he'd left from the HGV in front. BUT, having said that, he could see the situation developing and SHOULD have eased back to let you in, while maintaing a safe distance behind you.
Sadly not all HGV drivers are perfect or professional, and this one certainly did none of us any favours.

Pat
Motorway Driving - a900ss
The only thing that you might have been able to do is let him pass (somehow) and then phone his company and report his driving. Most lorries are signwritten.
Motorway Driving - GroovyMucker
"I had to access a 2-lane motorway in appalling weather conditions (very strong wind and stair-rod rain) ... the traffic was nose to tail. I just managed to slide into the inside lane before the slip road ran out (nobody would give way) and I had a 37 tonner ahead of me and another one behind ... I very slowly decelerated until I had about 5 car lengths gap ahead of me ..."

So, you're joining the motorway
nobody is giving way
the weather is appalling
you drive to the end of the slip road in the expectation that you will be let in
and you "slide" into what you consider is a gap between two big lorries

I would have been inclined to wait for a proper gap in the traffic.
Motorway Driving - Leif
I would have been inclined to wait for a proper gap in the traffic.

It might be near impossible once stationary, and even dangerous as you are then a potential victim for being rear ended by other vehicles, especially in poor visibility. And of course you are not supposed to drive along the hard shoulder, especially in bad visibility when there might be stationary vehicles ahead. Sounds like a case of being caught between a rock and a hard place.

We do not know the exact details, but it sounds like the truck driver was showing lack of consideration. Even if the OP had made a misjudgement (and I am not saying he did), the truck driver should not have bullied him.

I have experienced the exact same issue a at least once i.e. the motorway is busy, lane 1 has a long line of trucks nose to tail, and getting on is hard. And when I did move in to a gap, I was given some aggression.

However, most truck drivers are not idiots and do show respect and manners. But I do not like the fact that they often sit nose to tail and hence block entry to the motorway.
Motorway Driving - Tron
I was given the following advice whilst taking advance driving tuition:

The 2 second rule is not just for the direction you are traversing in.

Ideally, although impossible, you should have 2 seconds all around you.

Just make your gap and if an another vehicle enters it, front or rear, reduce your speed (Just decelerate slowly as opposed to just stabbing the brakes on because that will probably do no more than aggravate the driver behind you making ?it? come closer) and increase the gap you need either to your side front or rear.

A lot safer to have an aggressive driver in front than behind ? make it over take you. As in, when it is safe for you to do so, let it get in front.

If it is safe to stop, again do so. Never use the hard shoulder to do this. Use such as service stations etc., on motorways.

Allow the aggressive driver to safely pass you. Do not block its progress. Do not make eye contact or exchange any hand gestures with the driver or any passengers.

Pay attention to detail. Always keep an escape route open and in all directions.

Be aware of traffic and weather conditions ahead of you by having the radio tuned to the area you are travelling through. Use Traffic Reports [TP] if your radio has the facility.

Better to go on to the grass verge/embankment than in to a ?solid stationary object? should all ahead suddenly come to an abrupt halt.

Then again, if you have your safety margin in front and to your side still and all ahead has stopped ? it is now your rear you should be watching?.

If you are being dooged by an aggressive driver that feels he has some 'justice to give to you' leave the area and get to a safe loaction - petrol station etc.

Edited by Tron on 12/01/2008 at 11:56

Motorway Driving - oilrag
I had a situation this thursday with an arctic on the M1/M62 interchange.

Basically I was coming off the M1 North bound, then onto the Eastbound M62.

A newish black Arctic with bright silver fuel tanks came up alongside me in the inner lane and myself in the outer as we were held at the roundabout lights coming off the M1.

Arctic started to indicate right *as it passed* the other exit back onto the M1 and kept indicating right as we both approached the left turn off the roundabout onto the eastbound M62. (us both having gone almost 3/4 way round)

At this point as I was level with his cab and clearly visible to him as I accelerated past him (myself still indicating left) and moved into the left lane as I went down the sliproad.
Slower traffic in front and his spirited driving with no presumably no load meant he caught up, he reduced the safe gap left by me to approx 18 inches from my bumper and that`s how we both entered the M62, until I was able to get away from him as the traffic in front cleared.

I don`t know what all that was about, but it was clearly being driven with `verve` and empty so able to get a move on. ( that being the motivator, I think)
As we were alongside each other at cab level (British truck) at the first set of lights coming off the M1, he knew I was there and I felt he was playing some sort of intimidation game as he kept his right indicator on right in front of the left turn onto the M62.

I was level with his cab and SWMBO could see him looking down at her.
We both felt he was trying to force us round the roundabout again by keeping his right indicator on and he just went ballistic when that failed.

This is just an observation on one driver and not an `open letter rant`-> ( time perhaps for an `attitude` filter?)

(The last paragraph written with a wry smile)

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 12/01/2008 at 12:20

Motorway Driving - midlifecrisis
As somebody who spends 12hours a day Policing the motorway, I can only agree that the standard of driving is appalling. Having a large brightly coloured Volvo doesn't seem to make a difference.

I was on my way to work the other evening, when I came upon a gritter in the middle lane doing around 45-50 mph. Weather was appalling and traffic at 50mph across all three lanes. I was about a half a mile from my junction, so stayed in lane 1, leaving enough gap so the front of my car didn't get shot blasted. Artic comes barreling up behind me, so all I had sight of was a grill. He then swerves out to overtake, suddenly finds his was blocked by the gritter (good observation skills mate- being higher up didn't help you there did it!) and then swerves back into lane 1. I was just ahead of his rear wheels at this time and had to do some serious movement onto the hard shoulder to avoid becoming toast.

I don't normally get angry when driving, but I was somewhat upset. I was going to send him an NIP, but decided I didn't trust myself not to throttle the arrogant ****** (I'll censor myself) when I saw him.
Motorway Driving - Big Bad Dave
It must be great being you MLC, for the rest of us there's never a copper around when you want one, but for you there always is.

Can you pull people over when you're in your civvies if you really want to?
Motorway Driving - Tron
>>>>>>I don't normally get angry when driving, but I was somewhat upset. I was going to send him an NIP.

As that driver caused you to take such evasive and defensive action, I in your position, would have persued the matter further.

Why?

A lesser trained or inatentive driver would have probably been seriously hurt if not killed on that day.

Motorway Driving - midlifecrisis
As I said, it was just a bit personal and knowing how ineffective CPS and the magistrates courts are, particularly without any technical evidence, I would have just been wasting my time.

No, I don't pull people over when I'm off duty. 1/ It would be just very sad 2/ I've been hit on the hard shoulder with displaying more lights than an overdone christmas tree, so I certainly don't spend any more time there than I have to 3/ I would leave myself open to all sorts of accusations 4/ refer to 1.
Motorway Driving - Lud
It can be very nasty on busy motorways in bad weather. And there's no excuse for angry, intimidatory tailgating especially in an HGV with its long stopping distances.

However in the OP's position (and just anyway) I would have been looking for a gap in the outside lane to get out there and get past some of the HGVs before my exit. Depends on yr car really. Some can get to feel very flimsy and unstable in those conditions.

There's no disgrace though in the OP's decision to get off the motorway pronto. If something feels dangerous it probably is. Valour on its own, unaccompanied by skill, observation and intelligence, is of little use on the road, indeed often causes death and destruction.
As the original author of this thread I am referred to in a couple of the replies as the 'OP'. Could somebody kindly interpret for me.

Many thanks to those of you who responded. The point I was trying to make was that, every now and then, you are more or less at the mercy of other drivers. Billy25 suggested that I was being a bit selfish in leaving 80 feet ahead of me - I'm assuming that it was a humorous dig at the artic driver behind! GroovyMucker seemed to suggest that I should have come to a stop on the slip road to await a suitable gap in the traffic! I find that suggestion unbelievable. And Lud thought that it would have been better to have somehow got out into the outside lane. I could only have done that by driving as boorishly as the idiot in the artic behind me but I must admit that I did consider doing it before deciding to make my excuses and leave them to it by exiting the motorway.

Thanks again from the 'OP' (?)
Motorway Driving - Pugugly {P}
OP = Original Poster.
Thank you P but why did it take you 12 minutes?!!>> OP = Original Poster.
Motorway Driving - GroovyMucker
GroovyMucker seemed to suggest that I should have come to a stop on the slip road to await a suitable gap in the traffic! I find that suggestion unbelievable.

It may be some time since last you read the Highway Code (from what you as OP (!) say), but "When you join the motorway ... You should give priority to traffic already on the motorway" (r. 259 of the 2007 edition). I take that as meaning - if necessary - you should come to a halt if you can't join it safely.

12 mins for PU to answer: maybe we expect too much!
>> GroovyMucker seemed to suggest that I should have come to a stop on the
slip road to await a suitable gap in the traffic! I find that suggestion unbelievable.
It may be some time since last you read the Highway Code (from what you
as OP (!) say) but "When you join the motorway ... You should give priority
to traffic already on the motorway" (r. 259 of the 2007 edition). I take that
as meaning - if necessary - you should come to a halt if you can't
join it safely.

There are usually two sides to most discussions and I would suggest that para. 270 would support my premise that almost the most dangerous thing to do on a motorway is to stop when all other traffic is moving:

You MUST NOT stop on the carriageway, hard shoulder, slip road, central reservation or verge except in an emergency, or when told to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform, an emergency sign or by flashing red light signals. Do not stop on the hard shoulder to either make or receive mobile phone calls.

Let us not fall out but would you feel safe stopped on a motorway with all traffic alongside you moving at 30-40 mph and more traffic following behind you. It's definitely not for me.

Motorway Driving - jbif
There are usually two sides to most discussions and I would suggest that para. 270

Difficult choice here, but in the circumstances OP describes, if I was unable to match my speed to join the existing traffic safely in a big enough gap, I think I would NOT stop on the slip road as apparently Groovymucker would do. Instead I would break another rule and carry on moving down the hardshoulder and try to filter in a bit later if a safe gap. It has to be split second decision at the time based on the circumstances.
I saw a car full of what looked like Japanese tourists stationary at the end of a downhill sliproad onto the M1. (mentioned this before, sorry)
They had stopped at an angle at the end as though it was a T junction.

Cars were flashing past them at 70+ on the sliproad and HGV`s thundering past their front bumper in the inside lane.
I just saw terrified faces peering out through the car windows as I too flashed in front of them and slotted in between the trucks.
The danger of course is that everyone is concentrating on looking right to fit in with traffic on the motorway and not expecting a car stationary at the end of the sliproad.

I think actually stopping instead of running down the hard shoulder would be a worse hazard than the Lady that was doing 10MPH recently.

That said, I guess most of us `know` we will always fit into the gap in the inner lane, even though it makes us grit our teeth sometimes.

Bottom line though, is that courtesy in the `inner lane` has in general been lost, as far as the motorist is concerned and its perhaps time for a law change on priority being given to traffic entering the Motorway.

Regards

Motorway Driving - billy25
It used to be the case when driving on a Motorway and approaching a "slip-entry" that you used to see most of the traffic moving over into the second or third lanes to give the "new-comers" room to join, but not anymore, curtesy has been curtailed by volume - hence the origin of road rage.
Motorway Driving - Steptoe
When driving my motorhome I never know whose side I should be on (car or HGV), however I remember hearing a snippet from an HGV driving course...lose speed but not position.

I will never move over from lane 1 to let anyone in (this would usually be unsafe as traffic in lane 2 is generally much faster than me) but if they are level with my cab will slow to let them in, if behind cab they will have to look for a gap behind me.

When it's my turn to join I crank up to 60ish and move in, here the ambiguity seems to work in my favour as both car and HGV drivers seem to accept me as 'one of theirs' and let me in ;-)
Motorway Driving - Lud
Surely there is nothing to be said about merging into a motorway from a slip road? On the way down the slip road you spot your gap and adjust speed to get into it. In tight traffic good lane 1 drivers will lift off and give you a flash to reassure you.

Similarly, batting down the motorway and approaching a slip road, you move over to lane 2 if it's safe to do so, adjusting your speed if necessary. If lane 2 is congested with the second tier of eager beavers you adjust your speed to nip in front of the motorway joiner or drop back to let him in.

It's all so boringly obvious, and there's almost nothing to it, whatever the conditions.

Problems only arise when there is a very high proportion of extremely stupid drivers in the vicinity, something that only happens occasionally.

If you haven't got the bottle or competence to get up to motorway speed in the slip road, or if you are baulked by someone like that, then getting into a busy motorway from rest in a slow car can be a bit trying, I agree.

Nothing to be said except the obvious, I should have said.
Motorway Driving - Pugugly {P}
Well said.
Motorway Driving - Westpig
it would be exceptionally dangerous to stop on a motorway access road, however busy the main road was....(presuming of course the main carriageways are moving at usual motorway speeds)
Motorway Driving - ForumNeedsModerating
Problems only arise when there is a very high proportion of extremely stupid drivers in the vicinity, something that only happens occasionally.

So, you've been to N.Wales then Lud? We have a particular species of numpty in the principality who seem to mimic rabbits caught in the proverbial. The 'technique' in these parts is to run down the slip road at similar speed , then minutely adjust it (if required) to enter the slip road in the same space as the only vehicle within 2 miles. My admiration is unbounded for this exquisite skill. It requires the joiner to ignore any & all encouragements to accelerate & join in front of you, the true artiste will contrive to break fiercely on the last metre of slip road or (better still) cause you to do likewise on the main carraigeway - this attracts top marks of course. Similarly, moving over to lane 2, is invitation for the joinee to match speed in parallel for the next 3 miles - it passeth all understandin'.

Incidentally, Wales has the lowest GDP per head, in the UK.
I was on the two lane (A64) York Bypass a while back heading east at 70MPH. Just going past one of those garage/cheap food places when a car,having slowed to almost a halt in the very short `sliproad`(not really the term for it) then popped straight onto the carriageway in front of me doing about 10MPH.

Straight in front that is. I was about 90% sure nothing was in the second lane and reacted with about a 1 second panic brake, then brakes off and a swerve into the second lane (pre ABS car) and survived.
I can remember the fear as I hit the brakes for that second, that one of the cars behind in the second lane may now be alongside me. Perhaps they too hit the brakes and that allowed us all to not have a pile up.

Further on we pulled off, shaking and the car followed us, the bloke in the passenger seat could not apologise enough.

It was possibly worse for him as he had no control of the situation at all and must have thought he was a gonner.

Turned out it was a newish driver who was about to get a good lecture.

Regards

Motorway Driving - pyruse
It occasionally happens (more often on dual carriageways than motorways) that after accelerating to match the traffic speed, the continuous row of trucks in the inner lane simply won't let you in. Under those circumstances, you have little option than to stop on the slip road. I'd rather be stationary on a slip road than crushed under the wheels of a large truck.

Motorway Driving - normd2
you haven't lived until you've experienced junctions 1 & 2 of the M90 at peak times. The northbound slip road onto the motorway shares the roadspace with the junction 2 exit onto the A823(M). Try and picture this: two lanes of motorway traffic coming downhill, the lorries trying to gather speed for the hill ahead, vehicles coming uphill on the slip road trying to join the motorway along with others trying to leave the motorway on the same slip road! Try stopping here and you'd be in a pile up - guaranteed. It's utter madness and was clearly designed for an era when there were far fewer using the roads.
Motorway Driving - ijws15
That sounds just like Coventry's inner ring road - almost any junction!
Motorway Driving - Cliff Pope
Well said Woodbines - so you have noticed this effect too!

It's unbelievable the lengths some of these people will go to. I've sometimes tried to be accommodating - holding speed, holding back, speeding up, only to have the joining car mimic my every action. They usually end up running out of slip road and doing a quick stop off into the gravel, looking indignantly at me as if I had just tried to run them off the road.
The alternative scenario is they creep past doing about 3 mph faster than me, then spend the next mile very gradually slowing down again.