5th Gear - LPG - silly nickname
Following on from tonight's 5th Gear:

How many miles per year, and for how many years, would you need to do (and keep the car) to make LPG conversion worthwhile?

Car 1.8 litre petrol, just under 2 years old and 18,000 on clock.

Does 33mpg on Petrol.

FfCP
5th Gear - LPG - Mark (RLBS)
Moved to Technical Matters in the hope of a response.....

Mark (Brazil)
Moderator at Work

mailto:mark_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
5th Gear - LPG - M.M
We need an LPG boff for this but.........

Very very roughly I would say on 12K mls/yr you might save £475/yr on fuel costs so perhaps three years to get the cost of a good pro conversion back.

Come on LPG guys...you must know.

David W
5th Gear - LPG - blank
Im not an LPG boff, but I do own a Mondeo which I considered converting to LPG. My calculations were that with an annual mileage of about 20000 I would recoup the £1200 I was quoted for conversion in about 1 year. This was presuming the same 35 mpg with petrol as LPG. I have since learned that LPG economy can be about 10% worse.

I decided not to do the conversion primarily because it would stop me using the channel tunnel and secondarily because there are still relatively few filling stations.

hth
Andy

ps. peter@energyshift.co.uk was helpful to me. He is based in Ashford, Kent.
5th Gear - LPG - Tim Allcott
I had heard that the Government contributes 70% of the cost. Are there restrictions to this, or were you taking it into account in your calculations?

Tim
5th Gear - LPG - Dynamic Dave
I had heard that the Government contributes 70% of the cost.

They contribute up to 70% of the cost.

Details at www.est-powershift.org.uk
5th Gear - LPG - blank
I think this is only for cars less than 1 year old. I may be wrong
5th Gear - LPG - TrevorP
Calculations by Vauxhall suggest that in the course of 75,000 miles, an LPG-converted car will save you around £3200 (that figure includes a £400 adjustment for the expected lower trade-in values)
5th Gear - LPG - BrianH
Try LPG FORUM www.synweb.co.uk/lpg/
5th Gear - LPG - David Lacey
"This was presuming the same 35 mpg with petrol as LPG. I have since learned that LPG economy can be about 10% worse."

It's always been at least 20% down in my experience

I wouldn't bother with an LPG conversion unless it is a big-engined vehicle and you intend keeping it for a while

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
5th Gear - LPG - silly nickname
Calculations by Vauxhall suggest that in the course of 75,000 miles,
an LPG-converted car will save you around £3200 (that figure includes
a £400 adjustment for the expected lower trade-in values)

>>

Interesting.

LPG Conversion ----> Lower Trade-in Values ????

I would have expected a HIGHER trade in value.

(1) Car cheaper to run as LPG half price with slightly poorer MPG
(2) Car has greater range (if using both Petrol and LPG)

With 9,000 miles per year at 35 mpg (1.8 petrol) it's probably not worth it, especially if trade-in is lower. Just interested that's all.

FfCP
5th Gear - LPG - David Lacey
Lower trade in values are because the car has been 'messed with' and potential troubles could be costly for a dealer to put right prior to sale

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
5th Gear - LPG - Big Mack
What about the trade in value of a factory LPG model?

I can confirm that with my Vectra SRi 2.0 the mileage is around 22% down on LPG compared to petrol(25 mpg v 32). This was a factory model with a 75% grant towards the price premium through the Powershift scheme.
5th Gear - LPG - jc
Powershift!! is the programme for getting your money back. You need to show a significant improvement in emission figures to get the rebate.Of course,if the manufacturer did a good job in the first place and recorded good emission figures on gasoline,hard luck.