That's Charming.... - Nsar
(The title doesn't tell us what the thread is about, but in this case Nsar can be forgiven. HJ)

Just been away for the weekend. As we're leaving we come across a plod car parked on our track with two plod with an A-Z out. Being a helpful sort I stop and ask them which house they are looking for. Oh we're looking for... (my address)...that's me I say. Thanks, here's an NIP we had to deliver because of the postal strike.
Apparently it's a better use of our money to send a PC and CSO scuttling round in a patrol car to hand deliver NIPs than it is to wait a day and put a stamp on it.

That's Charming.... - billy25
I've also noted that the PCSO's are teaming up with a "regular" P.C on thier patrols - using both marked vans and b&t's, is this an attempt to intergrate them into community policing with a view that in time people will come of think of them as "regular" police, and be more more willing to obey them. At present, folk know that apart from anti-social offences (littering etc.) PCSO's have virtually no powers, put two PCOS's together = still no powers, but one PC and one PCSO = full police powers with half the staff ( back-up so to speak). makes economic sense really, 20 full officers = 10 patrols, 20 full officers 20 pcso's = 40 patrols.

If it keeps the "yobs" quiet on Saturday nights- bring it on! - but if they are being trained to make revenue by persecuting motorists on the "sly" - Shame on them!!

That's Charming.... - billy25
OOOer! someyhing wrong with my maths!! = tis the "nectar" I blame!!
20 full pc's= 10 patrols, 20 full pc's 20 pcso's = 20 yep thats right! 20 patrols!!!!

Sorry
That's Charming.... - OldHand
Moral of the story- don't talk to the police unless strictly necessary!
That's Charming.... - L'escargot
If you hadn't got yourself an NIP it wouldn't have cost anybody anything.
--
L\'escargot.
That's Charming.... - cheddar
If you hadn't got yourself an NIP it wouldn't have cost anybody anything.

I think the point is that Nsar may have been doing 56 on a 50 dual carraiageway on a clear sunny day with no other traffic around therefore is is plain daft that two coppers earning a bob or two and 40k of patrol car deliver a £60 NIP when they could be better served catching real criminals or even doing something like road side spot checks for dangerous, unisured, untaxed, stolen vehicles or drugged or drunk drivers, none of which are captured by the 500th/sec snapshot intime that is a speed camera.

The speed camera itself is a poor enough targetting of reasorces (but for exceptional circumstances i.e. outside schools) for the above given reasons, on top sending two coppers out to deliver an NIP is, er, criminal!
That's Charming.... - DP
The people likely to cop (sorry) the flak for this are the individual officers, but of course they're only following orders.

It's some faceless, anonymous muppet further up the chain. Mind you, he must sleep really well at night, and be very highly regarded knowing there are no outstanding crimes and no calls from the public awaiting police attendance. I mean, those would be the only circumstances where such abuse of resources could be justified, right?

The public in the op's area must be the safest in the UK. Well done to that chief constable. Good work old chap!

DP
(hoping sarcasm comes across OK!) :-)
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
That's Charming.... - Vin {P}
"If you hadn't got yourself an NIP it wouldn't have cost anybody anything."

Two wrongs make a right, eh?

V
That's Charming.... - local yokel
It would have been a far more effective use of resources to have used a professional courier/parcel co. to deliver the NIP, but the way they do the sums the officer and PCSO were free, so it looks like it's free.

I expect it cost about £100 to deliver it.
That's Charming.... - Armitage Shanks {p}
AND they could pick up pizza on the way back to home base! Bargain!
That's Charming.... - Martin Devon
AND they could pick up pizza on the way back to home base! Bargain!

Pizza Base!
That's Charming.... - L'escargot
Two wrongs make a right eh?

No, but the original post smacks somewhat of sour grapes.
--
L\'escargot.
That's Charming.... - Nsar
If you hadn't got yourself an NIP it wouldn't have cost anybody anything<<

Gee, I hadn't thought of that...

Apprarently I parked my car on a stretch of road where there was a white line. In my haste to drop off a whole bootload of stuff for a friend's party, I was more pre-occupied with being close to their gate and didn't go back to check. Nobody would have been the slightest bit inconvenienced by my choice of parking spot, but I broke a law, so I'll have to pay.

Seems a shame you and I pay to have two officers wasting time and money doing deliveries.
That's Charming.... - Altea Ego
Just been away for the weekend. As we're leaving we come across a plod car
parked on our track with two plod with an A-Z out. Being a helpful sort
I stop and ask them which house they are looking for. Oh we're looking for...
(my address)...that's me I say.

Next time it should read.....

Oh we're looking for... (my address)...Oh dear - Sorry I say, he moved out 6 months ago. Here is his forwarding address.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That's Charming.... - OldHand
Remember never make materially innacurate statements to a member of the constabulary.

If I was to enquire what they were upto and was given the answer 'we are looking for old hand' or 'we're looking for old hand's house' I'd give them a sympathetic smile, the reply 'it must be like trying to find a needle in a haystack, the things they make you poor police officers do..' and to beat a hasty retreat in the opposite direction........not that I've done anything wrong but if I want to talk to them I'll initiate the exchange...........
That's Charming.... - Westpig
with a lot of Forces the individual officer has to do a lot of the 'admin', as well as the police work bit .....so the officer might well deliver the NIP himself or arrange for a colleague to, (when they're on general patrol anyway)...to make sure his work so far is not wasted by a postal strike.

and if it was me, double crewed, i'd get my colleague in the car to deal, so that the alleged miscreant didn't recognise me and have a pop....because everyone goes home and has a good think about it... and then comes up with 101 reasons why it shouldn't have happened to them.
That's Charming.... - Pugugly {P}
102 today - but that, as they say, is another story - but convinced the beak.