OMEGA HELL - tgmnewry
I purchased a 1996 Vauxhall Omega 2.5CDX Petrol in January. The car was brought for a good price as it had an oil leak from the engine and needed new brake discs, pads etc. I had I checked over by a local car trader who told me it was sound, but would also need the plug leads replaced.
With this information I left the car to a mechanic, and entrusted him with the work. He seemed unsure how to do the work, as it involved removing the timing belt on the engine.
To cut a long story short, which involved at least 40 phonecalls to him, and at least 8 temporary cover notes (costing 15pounds each) I finally took the car back. He had more or less given up on my job, and I had to spend a very miserable Saturday replacing various pulleys etc which he had left in a box in the boot.
The car barely ran at that stage and in desparation it was was entrusted to a Vauxhall Dealer, who after 650pounds of work, having replaced several
sensors, decided to carry out a compression test. They concluded valve damage and a almost total loss of compression across one bank of the engine.
Showing 100k they told me the engine now was scrap and not worth repairing, or at least not at their Garage rates. They told me the mechanic I had gone to had done the damage.

How do I stand legally with this.
I have contacted my solicitor who tells me that it is free in the small claims court to take such a case, but was not too helpful about what exactly I should claim for.
I contacted the mechanic, and he seemed willing at the start to help, though once he heard from me that a second hand replacement engineis needed which costs about 1000pounds excluding fitting he changed his mind. I am once again resorting to withholding my number in an effort to talk to him, (as I had done many times over the past few months when he had promised to have the car ready, and never took a spanner near it.
Help would be GREATLY appreciated
Re: OMEGA HELL - Dave N
Get a new solicitor that is going to give proper advice. Could be money well spent, though if your garage man has no money, you won't get anything from him. Most reputable garages will have service liability insurance.
Re: OMEGA HELL - T.Lucas
Find a competent mechanic,find a good 2nd hand engine,pref with some sort of gtee get the thing fitted and carry on with your life.The nobber that you used b4 has probably got nothing so dont expect anything back from him.For Vauxhall parts in the past ive used Vauxhall spares of i think Ilford or Romford,they advertise in autotrader and the mart.Engine out,engine in 2 days work max.
Re: OMEGA HELL - Mike Harvey
Was this a mechanic at a garage, or a mechanic doing the job as a foreigner, or a 'bloke that knows a bit about cars'. Personally, I think the sooner mechanics have to be properly qualified the better, then you would at least have some idea. It seems strange that to work on gas appliances, you must be qualified and CORGI registered due to obvious dangers, and to work on cars you need nothing. All the best with your problem anyway.
Mike
Re: OMEGA HELL - steve paterson
Seems like you've been stitched up by everyone.
Why did the trader tell you the car needed new plug leads, was it running badly when you bought it? The dodgy mechanic - enough said. Then a main dealer failed to carry out a basic diagnostic check until they ran out of ideas. £650 for a compression test ! Should have been one of the first tests. The solicitor doesn't sound too good either, dump him and see if the Trading standards people can help.
Re: OMEGA HELL - tgmnewry
The trader who looked at the car was not the one who sold it, and the mechanic who worked on it has his own garage and has been operating for 10 years or so.
So he has insurance ok, its the principal however and I would prefer to see something done legally.
I do agree with Mike that the main Vauxhall Dealer could have been a lot better and carried out a compression test before adding expensive parts to a knackered engine.
Re: OMEGA HELL - Jonathan
Inform the mechanic that you will be going to the local press. He may not be bothered about court, but if all his trade dries up, then he may start to do something about it.

Good Luck

Jonathan