Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - Servelan
Hello all,
Our spare car is a 1998 Peugeot 106 1.5D. It is low mileage and in excellent condition, so we have no intention of selling. However, my daugher who uses the car occasionally finds the unassisted steering too heavy. Is it possible to retrofit powersteering from a later car?
Any advice gratefully received?

--
Servelan - I read often but post occasionally
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - Clanger
Perhaps, as your daughter is of car-driving age, she should be encouraged to get a car of her own specification. As a general rule, retrofitting anything only makes sense if you do the work yourself but prepare for an expert to arrive who says his mates's uncle knows a bloke who did it in 2 hours with bits he got off Ebay for £15.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - Servelan
Hawkeye, I appreciate that it may be totally uneconomic, but if there is a chance that it is a relatively easy swap (haha!) we would consider it. Daughter does have her own car, she only uses the 106 on occasions when she is visiting.
--
Servelan - I read often but post occasionally
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
A cheaper temporary solution is to buy new front tyres and pump them up to the maximum permitted pressure. Steering should be lighter.
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - GregSwain
A cheaper temporary solution is to buy new front tyres and pump them up to
the maximum permitted pressure. Steering should be lighter.

That's only a temporary solution though, as the tyres will initially wear more in the centre, and as full contact with the road is restored the steering will become heavy again. Best option is to sell the 106 privately (small diesels in good condition are easy to sell), and buy her something similarly sized, but with PAS. Retro-fit is all well & good if you can find the same model, same engine at a scrappy with factory PAS and just harvest the bits you need (pump, pipes and rack), but I'm not sure if the 106 was offered with that engine and factory PAS?!

Far easier to replace with a factory-PAS vehicle - a quick search on Autotrader and you'll find a Nissan Micra or similar with PAS for around a grand. OK, the diesel economy won't be there, but most new drivers don't cover huge mileages and I'm sure she'd be paying for the fuel anyway! ;-)
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - bell boy
seing as you would need a full engineers report once retrofitted its not worth all the hassle
buy her some gym passes and tell her to tone her biceps up ;-o
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - madf
I can confirm all bar the poverty spec 1.5 diesel 106s had PAS as standard.
I looked at a conversion... There is little room and lots of changes. It was a long time ago. I can't recall the details but even getting the parts off an old one in a scrap yard was going to be a major struggle...

I decided not worth the effort.

madf
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - Pheonix
I'd tell her to stop dry steering ;) / cope. You soon get used to it I find and if she's only using it occasionally, I don't see the problem with her coping with it?
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - oilrag
agree with the dry steering, Is she aware that you need to be moving to turn the wheel?

I write that because I know some people have never driven a car without power steering and have a `different` technique.
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - jc2
Most non-PAS cars have lower-geared steering and a larger diameter wheel to overcome any problems.
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - GregSwain
True about the dry steering, although my first car didn't have PAS and I found it no different at all once on the move, but parallel parking required more effort. Got progressively heavier as the tyres wore, and each time I had new ones fitted it was like having PAS for a few thousand miles! I think all driving school cars should be without PAS or any other creature comfort (maybe even without synchromesh - that'd be a laugh!!) - it'd certainly teach people how to drive properly ;-)
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - bathtub tom
'cmon. What'd all the mechanics do if they couldn't replace k'nackered steering ball joints/racks, flat spotted tyres, etc.
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - AlastairW
Well said Greg. IMO diesel power should also be banned for learners. Much too easy to avoid a stall :)
I find that its all down to peoples pockets, theres them that can afford a new car for the daughter and theres them that can only spend a grand,this usually sorts the kids out between them glad to have a set of wheels and them that are spoilt ,absolutely no offence meant by the way servelan.
A journalist in the motoring section front page of the telegraph the other week was boasting about buying his daughter a new car and giving her advanced driving lessons and then found out the insurance payements were astronomical, i was glad to see his pocket melted as all kids should start in bangers to give them a real world feel of motoring before they move on up,ie no power steering and no 6 speaker stereos until they have driving awareness
Peugeot 106 Retrofit Powersteering? - Robin the Technician
Hi there,
Well, it seems lots of people have given you none of the advice you REALLY needed. I know what its like having a family member who's not got the strength of a good cuppa that can'y cope without PAS. We had a Montego that was none PAS and SWMBO couldn't drive it although I found no problem with it. In the end I found a donor car after phoning round a few scrappies and got it all off and fitted it to our car. SWMBO happy - marriage saved, s*x live returns to normal!!! Do as I did and find a scrappie who's got one and pay for it. I would think at tops you could pay £200 for the rack, PAS pump & pipes. I'm sure its not that difficult to fit.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
As i said earlier it will need a full engineers report Robin the Technician ,these cost approx £200 and even then your insurance company may decide to invalidate your insurance so hardly not addressing the issue is it?
Oh and bob down the pub writing it on a beer mat is not acceptable (daves on holiday ;-) )