Poor service at Honda dealers - valmiki

after having lurked on the boards for the last few months, and reading posts practically everyday, I have now registered, so first of all, a big hello to everyone!

unfortunately (as is usually the case) I'm posting for some advice regarding my local Honda dealer and would like some suggestions on what to do next. It's a bit long, but I hope you can stay with it! and I'm trying not to 'name' the dealer in question.

I bought my wife a Honda Civic 1.6 Executive 2001 two years ago from my local Honda dealer. Previously she had been driving a MINI One, and when she became too pregnant to drive it, we sold it and bought this one as a 'sensible' family car to do her for now.

About three weeks ago, I booked the car in for it's 6th annual service (it has only done about 47k miles, but it goes off the years as well). I asked to have it serviced according to the schedule, and she advised it was a major service, with a brake fluid change. Cost was about £280, so I booked it in.

They pick the car up from my house last friday, while my wife and son stay at home. I get a call from the garage mid-morning, the rear pads are at 70% would you like them changed, cost at £105 fitted. I phone around for some more prices, phone them back and haggle them down to £95. I ask them about the Honda fixed price servicing scheme, and they advise that that price is £95 so I go OK, go ahead do the pads.

Later on in the afternoon, I go in to the dealers, and pay up, total cost is £364 so the brake pads had been done for £85, which is the official Honda fixed-price servicing price, so I'm happy. They advise that the car will be delivered later on that evening, and I go home.

A driver turns up about 4.30pm, drops keys/documents off and leaves. I look over the documents, and immediately notice that instead of having done the 6th annual service, they have done the 4th one instead which as it happens is also a major service but not including a fuel filter change. So I call the dealers and speak to the same girl who originally booked the car in and tell her what's happened. Unbelievably she gets a little stroppy with me, and says 'Well Sir, we did the major service and brake fluid change as you requested', and with a real attitude! When I query the schedule sheet, she decideds to put me through to the servicing manager.

He first says, 'Oh well, if the technicians have done it once previously, then we'd save you the money and not do it.' He takes the registration number off me 'looks it up' and first says 'aah yes, it was done on the service two years ago'. I say, 'Hang on a sec, this would be the first time that a fuel filter change is mentioned on the service schedule so why has it been changed already?' He goes quiet, and says 'oh my error, I was looking at a different car schedule, let's book it in and change the filter' we agree that if I pay the filter, then they will waive the the labour. Unbelievably considering that I have just payed £364 for a service, they haven't even cleaned the car, so I advise him of this as well, and he says 'we were short of drivers, so nobody had the time to do it, but I'll make sure it gets cleaned this time'. Fine I'm happy.

My wife drops the car in monday afternoon of this week, with toddler in tow. They are advised it'll take about half and hour, so she meets up with some of her mumsy friends outside and they go for a walk and a tea in some (probably) overpriced coffee shop and she returns to pick the car up one and a half hours later.

I'm in work and I get a phone call from the servicing manager. 'Hello, we've had some problems with the car. It's actually a primary fuel filter that we've changed that sits inside the fuel pump that's in the tank. We've changed it but now the car isn't starting. I've been on to Honda Technical Uk, and they've advised me that the fuel filter on this car should never be changed it's a lifetime filter, and the servicing schedule sheet you have is wrong. I'm very sorry, etc.' they sort my wife out with a courtesy car and send her and my son home.

In the mean time, I phone another Honda dealer, about 25 miles away, and I ask him about this 'lifetime' fuel filter on the Civic. He looks up the reg and says yes, we can do it, changed every 6 years, do it all the time. Filter costs about £30, and to change it £80-ish fitted, all according to schedule. This is confirmed by a phonecall to Honda UK, where the woman checks with technical and gets back to me with the same answer.

I'm phoned by the servicing manager next morning (tuesday, yesterday), who again throws out the Honda UK advice not to change the fuel filter line. When I mention that I have had it confirmed by the other Honda dealer, and Honda UK I don't get much response, and I ask him that I would like to know who he has spoken to with his information. He promises to get back to me with that, and also waves the charge for the fuel filter. That afternoon, he drops the car off at my wife's work and picks up the courtesy car.

I get home yesterday, and my wife says the cd player is no longer working, so I go and take a look. There is a stain on the cd dash trim and the cd inside is stuck. Right above it is an empty air freshener with a glass bottle, that has obviously been the source of the liquid. I examine the air freshener, it is the right way up, the glass bottle is intact. There is no way that this could have leaked in the position it's in. Either it's been done maliciously or more probably the air freshener was taken off to clean the dash, or was knocked off, and then replaced upside down, leaked, someone noticed and put it back the right way up.

I drive the car in to the dealers this morning, and I spot the servicing manager in the car park, and I ask him to take a look. He says immediately 'Oh I was pointed this out by the car cleaner before he even began to clean it, he came in and showed it to me and said, xxx this was here before I start'. I said, look, I'm not being funny but the leak had not prior to us dropping the car off to you guys. I am being honest and straightforward, this has happened on your watch. There is no way for that air freshener to leak unless it's turned upside down and however it happened, that is what must have happened. Glass bottles don't leak and then reseal themselves. He says he's baffled, and will have to speak to the General Manager. I ask him to give me a call back this afternoon.

Having not had a phone call back today, I phone Honda UK Car Customer Relations team and speak to Sam, who is very sympathetic, and she says she'll give the dealers a call on my behalf and escalate it, and try and get someone to call me back right away.

About 4.30 she phones back herself and says she's spoken to the general manager, who is extremely busy at the moment as it is at month's end (!), and will only be able to call me back on friday (two days time). I ask Sam what she can do and says to be honest there's not much she can do, as it will be a dispute between me and the dealers but she has recorded it as a complaint against the dealer.

So, this is where I stand now, sorry it's been a long read! I have no idea what's going to happen on friday, or even if I get a call back.

I feel really let down by the dealers who are obviously so busy with Honda's recent success they can't be bothered with good old customer service.

My main gripe is that I was actually putting more work their way, and they couldn't even be bothered to service the car according to it's schedule. My wife drives the car with my son it all the time, and my priority is to pay the Honda dealer for servicing, in the hope that it will be properly serviced each time, which is a source of comfort for me. At least I can feel some reassurance when she's out and about in it.

Well, no longer. I feel that this particular dealer doesn't really care, can't be bothered (unless it's a new sale) and doesn't want my money. So much for great customer service at the Honda dealer, ho hum.

apologies again for the large post, but I had to get it off my chest and, hello again! I'm sure I'll be in a better mood next time I post.
Poor service at Honda dealers - Dalglish
apologies again for the large post, but I had to get it off my chest and, hello again! I'm sure I'll be in a better
mood next time I post.

:: ;-) :: enjoyed reading that epic tale. almost as long and interesting as the ramayana, about which i was reading just last week, authored by your namesake ! :: ;-) ::

sorry i can't help with your honda problem though.

Poor service at Honda dealers - SteVee
Welcome to the BR
I think you've been fobbed off by this dealer and have handled it well.
Hopefully, they're now listening to what you're saying - have they been OK in the past ?
Personally, I alsways count car collection and cleaning as a bonus at a service - I'm really looking for good technical expertise.
It's all a bit unfortunate - but you've handled it and I hope the Honda continues to give your wife and family some joy.
Good car - I considered one, but my Honda dealer couldn't be bothered to sell me one - they've now gone.
Hopefully, they're now listening to what you're saying - have they
been OK in the past ?

well, they serviced it last year which was just a basic one, and didn't seem to have any issues, though they didn't bother cleaning the car on that occasion either.

I get the impression that the dealership just isn't interested in old (well 6 years old) cars, in which case someone should have a word with Honda and advise them not to make cars with such longevity!

Poor service at Honda dealers - Aprilia
Those Hondas (like all Hondas) do have a seperate fuel filter which should be changed every 72k or 6 years. The in-tank pump has a 'filter screen' - but its not a service item. Sounds like they gave it to the apprentice and he looked in the manual, overlooked the inline filter and went straight to the tank!

To be honest I wouldn't bother with a main dealer on a 6 year old car. Most jobs are very straightforward. Those back pads are about £15 from CAS (Delphi) and 1/2 hour to fit. The 'major' service is just fluids and filters + sparks. Did they change the pollen filter? Should be done every year and they often want to charge you extra.

>>Did they change the pollen filter?
>>Should be done every year and they often want to
>>charge you extra.

yes, they changed it and it was included in the major service apparently. Better go and check the invoice...

well, it's been ticked off on the schedule sheet (replace dust and pollen filter - ticked) but it doesn't appear on the invoice:

labour:

replace rear brake pads
carried out MOT FOC
carried out major service

parts and materials:

brake fluid 4.00
oil filter 1.00
element assy,air/ 1.00
set.pad rr (9clp-1 1.00
element filter 2.00
washer, plug 14mm 1.00
spark plug (zfr5j 4.00

lubricants:

10w/40 4.00

so, unless I'm mistaken, this is something else that wasn't done?

Poor service at Honda dealers - Aprilia
Could be the 'element filter' ??
Poor service at Honda dealers - jc2
"Car collection and cleaning as a bonus";at £80/hr.

the 'element ass, air/' with part no. 17220-PLD-000 is 16.73+VAT, just under £20. All I know about pollen filters is that they'd cost me £25 for the pair from GSF for me E39, so that sounds about right then, from a dealer I think.

thanks, aprilia for the continued help

valmiki
Poor service at Honda dealers - Manatee

Likely - I think you need two (Mrs M has a 2002 Civic).
To be honest I wouldn't bother with a main dealer on
a 6 year old car. Most jobs are very straightforward.

aprilia,

you seem to know a bit about these cars, when would the timing belt change be due?

cheers

valmiki
Poor service at Honda dealers - ajsdoc
Interesting thread. I've a 4 year old Honda and am not overly impressed by my local dealer - common belief would be their customer service is perfect, but not my experience. As soon as the warranty is done (I bought 2nd hand with a Honda warranty) then independant servicing for me.
it's been a few days now since my last message so I thought I'd provide you with an update.

I have been in discussions with the 'general manager'.

Apparently the work sheet that had been used for the car (2001 Honda Civic) was actually for a Civic 2005.

The original story of Honda's advice that there is no need to change the fuel filter, has now changed to 'dealers that have changed the fuel filter have reported problems and that's why we weren't prepared to change one'.

As for the leak of the air freshener, he advised me to take it up with the air freshener manufacturer. He did offer me a goodwill gesture of replacing the broken cd player with 'one that he had lying around in the workshop' but refused to replace the stained trim. I declined his offer.

After speaking to Honda UK, I was informed of the Honda Service Charter, which states that 'If any point of the service requirement is missed, we will refund you the cost of the service.' If anything, I thought I could at least expect this.

The general manager has stated that the 6-year service has been carried out in full. His proof is that the Honda dealer system shows that this service is logged, and that he has a 'workcard' that says otherwise, even though the documentation (the work-sheet) I have states that the 4-year service was completed, and apparently I have the only copy. He has been in touch with Honda UK and has informed them that according to his workcard logs, the 6-year service has been carried out.

Apparently the fuel filter was changed now, (even though they woudn't have done it normally) and the car iseems to be OK.

I will be speaking to the dealer principal tomorrow, but I have already been advised by the general manager that they are in agreement, and that the decision on what to do will ultimately rest with him (the manager).

I will also be contacting Honda UK tomorrow, regarding the service charter, and will likely be faxing them the copies of what I have of the service performed.

The general manager's proof is that his technicians have said to him that they have carried out the correct 6-year service. He invited me down to the dealership to talk with the technicians, and they would show me themselves exactly what they would do on such a service. I don't think this is 'proof' that the work has been carried out on my car though

His parting shots were that I've had the fuel filter replaced FOC so they've done everything they can to resolve the situation.

This issue has damaged beyond repair (pun) any goodwill between me and the dealership. If they had admitted the problem in the first place and sorted out the cd player to my satisfaction and replaced the fuel filter (which I had initially been prepared to pay for) then it would never have come to this.

Poor service at Honda dealers - Micky
Write to the CEO of Honda UK, set out the problems clearly and concisely. Send by fax and back up by recorded delivery. the worksheet you hold is crucial, is it signed by a representative of the dealership?

You could always buy a F**d, then at least the poor customer service won't be a surprise.
Poor service at Honda dealers - Dynamic Dave
Micky, you really need to get over this affliction of not being able to write the word Ford without calling it something else, or spelling it with asterisks. Not to mention the continual running down of the company either.

DD.
Poor service at Honda dealers - Avant
Indeed. Ford dealers are no worse than any others - except that there seems to be a higher proportion of big chain-owned Ford dealers, and you generally get a better standard of service from family-owned businesses.

My main evidence for that is having had 7 reliable Renaults in a row between 1980 anbd 2001, all looked after by Cross Roads Garage in Oxfordshire.

Given the large number of Fords around - and Vauxhalls too - it's interesting that there seem to be few 'knocking' threads from Backroomers. My problem with both makes is that - because of the number of them - they don't hold their value as well as perhaps they deserve to. They probably make better private buys used than new,
Poor service at Honda dealers - Number_Cruncher
>>They probably make better private buys used than new,....

I agree fully. After many years of Vauxhall bashing by various pundits (some of which was well deserved in the mid 90's), I think they now represent among the most affordable ways to buy a decent car. Going back to the early 90's, I can remember becoming extremely bored in the workshop, with little other than servicing and brake pad changing jobs coming in - the change from mkII to mkIII Cavaliers was a step change reduction in the amount of extra work we would find during services - a typical mkII Cav 54,000 miles service sheet would have the following (ignoring the typical brakes and exhaust type jobs)

CV joints split
leaking oil pressure switch
leaking cam cover gaskets
leaking fuel pump
leaking expansion tank hose
leaking front dampers
perforated choke pull down diaphragm
perforated fuel tank breather pipes
worn distributor cap & rotor
one or more plug leads high resistance

Virtually all of these jobs disappeared with the introduction of the mkIII. Despite odd glitches, this improvement has continued, and, according to my friend who still works in the workshop, the jobs are now quite polarised. It's either completely routine servicing and brake work, or it's complex diagnosis and re-programming type job which can only be done by people who are wizards with Tech 2.

I think the same is trus of Ford. The beauty with both Vauxhall and Ford is that the parts are generally cheap, and are also readily available as pattern parts. There's lots of knowledge in the independant domain about how to fix these cars, and what the common problems are.

Yes, Jap cars are probably statistically more reliable, but, when they do fail, your wallet is in for a bashing!

Number_Cruncher
There's a world of difference between a product and customer service.
">- except that there seems to be a higher proportion of big chain-owned Ford dealers, and you generally get a better standard of service from family-owned businesse<"

So, following your logic, does the manufacturer with the higher proportion of big chain-owned franchises provide a worse service.?
Write to the CEO of Honda UK, set out the problems
clearly and concisely. Send by fax and back up by recorded
delivery. the worksheet you hold is crucial, is it signed by
a representative of the dealership?

the worksheet isn't signed but the attached 'Vehicle Visual Appraisal' check sheet shows the same handwriting, and that has been signed.

you wouldn't happen to have the name of the Honda CEO off-hand would you ;-)
Poor service at Honda dealers - flynn
Ken Keir, Managing Director of Honda (UK), Ian Armstrong, Customer Communications Manager, 470 London Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL3 8QY, and then there's Takeo Fukui President and Representative Director (Honda Worldwide)
Sent a fax to Honda UK clearly stating my position as well as evidence (or lack of) of the correct service being carried out. I also faxed the same copy to the dealer principal.

At 2pm I get a phone call from the Servicing Manager of the dealership, apologising profusely for all the problems caused, etc. I presume that the General Manager wanted to avoid a repeat of the heated conversation that I had had with him yesterday evening. Or, he just coudn't be bothered.

I have asked for the cd player and trim to be replaced, and that the next year's service be free of charge (worth about £150 ish to me), which he has agreed. I'm happy.

Apparently a new technician (5 months) had carried out the proper service, but then filled out the sheet incorrectly so that he went off the mileage rather than the age.

Just goes to show, if you know you are in the right, then don't ever let it go.

p.s. thanks flynn, just found your post with the contact details. Hopefully may come in handy for someone else.

thanks to everyone, and this board (cheers HJ)

Poor service at Honda dealers - mal
I can't fault my Honda dealer, but there will always be bad apples in main dealerships, but well done, you stuck to your guns, and won in the end.
I can't fault my Honda dealer, but there will always be
bad apples in main dealerships, but well done, you stuck to
your guns, and won in the end.

I think it's because I live in a smallish city, where people wouldn't dream of causing such a fuss. Lets them get away with it, I suppose.
That's a good result, but nothing more than you were due. I think the General Manager will be very bothered, it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when you go back.
Poor service at Honda dealers - IanJohnson
Do you really want to take the free service?

I would be using another dealer.
Poor service at Honda dealers - oilrag
They will likely do a very thorough and careful service when it next goes back, its in their own interests to do so.
They will likely do a very thorough and careful service when
it next goes back, its in their own interests to do
so.

that's my reasoning! i'm sure they don't want a repeat of this mess next march
Poor service at Honda dealers - Hadrian
I'm not a great believer in using main dealers, out of the warranty period.
I use an independent garage, the owner of which is a regular on BBC's watchdog programme. and an adviser on rogue traders. He seems to know his stuff.
Poor service at Honda dealers - mike hannon
By next March they'll probably have a complete new set of staff anyway.
Poor service at Honda dealers - spinner
I have to agree with poor service from Honda, plus a bit of 'attitude' from some of the staff. Cue letter to service manager.

I've had these gems:

£98 for an oil + filter change from one dealer in Essex.
£180 to change a pollen filter - a West London dealer. I did it myself for 11 quid.
£200 for the cambelt from a N.London dealer, but the car made a lot of noise afterwards; I got them to replace the tensioners + water pump.
At another dealer - car returned with over-filled oil and tyre pressures 6psi over.

The dealers are technically not up to it and over charge for what they do. The cars are fine, but Honda has some work to do on their dealers.
Poor service at Honda dealers - NARU
You could always buy a Ford, then at least the poor
customer service won't be a surprise.

My local Ford dealer is noticeably better than the local Honda, BMW, Saab and Peugeot dealers based on the experiences I've had over the last few years (all with company cars, so I'm not biased by the hourly rate).
Poor service at Honda dealers - jc2
I've never had bad service at any Ford dealer I've been to-quite the reverse but then I've never owned a Honda car-m/cycle yes.
Marlot-please tell us of your experiences!!