Optimax - David Kirkham
Further to the other threads about this petrol, I wonder if there was ever a definitive answer to the stories that Optimax had been withdrawn on the continent?

Were these just rumours or is there still a genuine concern over the long tem use of this petrol? I've put it into my 9-5 Aero for the last 20k and benefited from increased mpg but don't want a nasty shock in the future.

tia.......David Kirkham
Re: Optimax - Cyclone Cyd
Did you get an improvement in mpg from day 1? Or did it get worse before it got better? And how much better?

I tried it in my Rover turbo and the mpg fell instantly from 31.5 to 29.5. I used it for 3 tank fulls (and I do mean FULL) before giving up on it. I went back to Tesco fuel and it took my car a further 3 tanks to recover its normal economy. I know someone with another Rover model with the same engine and he had the same effect.

There might have been a small improvement in performance, but it was difficult to tell. I'll use it again only when I next put my car up against the clock!
Re: Optimax - j.cronin
Just be aware that the name shown on the pump is not always what goes in your tank.
Re: Optimax - j.cronin
A little further-if a tanker with Shell,BP,Esso or whatever appears in your filling staion,do not automatically think it has filled up at a Shell,BP or Esso refinery;as long as the fuel coming out of the pump meets the minimum-repeat minimum-requirements,that's all it needs to be legal for sale.
Re: Optimax - help us HJ! - mad hatter
I would really like to know about this Optimax business once and for all - perhaps the great HJ can shed some light?

I do doubt that it can be baned in europe, when Audi have just launched an engine (I think its called FSI in the A2) thats optimised (pun not intended!) for Optimax!

I use the stuff irreguarly but would use it all the time if it had not recently shot up in price (now at least 79.9 here in west dorset)...