Renault Espace ignition problems - equilibrium
Hello all,

I have a 2001 Espace diesel which has developed a problem starting. Basically the car turns over but fails to fire. Occassionally I get the odd start but cannot rely on the car. My local Renault garage cannot find a fault, anyone had similar experiences and can identify the fault.

Thanks
Re: Renault Espace ignition problems - James S
If it's a deisel it won't be an ignition problem. Probaly no fuel will be getting into the system (fuel pump kippered, injector blocked, air locks?) that or you've got a serious compression problem.
Re: Renault Espace ignition problems - Ian Cook
Bearing in mind Jon's post, let's wait for DW to pick this one up. He's standing at the end of the bar supping a pint of some fearsome Fen brew!

Ian
Re: Renault Espace ignition problems - David W
Ian,

Never be put off answering. I only know half of it and make the rest up!

Diesel starting.....

Compression
Cranking speed
Fuel supply
Glowplugs

Compression problems unlikely at this age.

I assume you have a good battery/starter turning over the engine quickly. I also assume the glowplugs have been checked/changed.

That leaves fuel supply. This can either be a blockage causing lack of fuel of an air leak.

Bear in mind on such modern vehicles the fuel "blockage" could be associated with an ECU/stop solenoid/immobiliser problem. Renault should have found this with their checks.

Any clues there?

David