Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - xlt hunter
Need some guidance and advice from the backroom.

Had the most unfornate day of having a accident where I ran over a dog (I didn't even seen or reliase that he was out)

Basicly I didn't notice any dog in the area at the time, was driving up the road to the private parking area behind my house and felt the car go up (bump, bump) type thing and heard a loud howl. I ran over a dog and I didn't even see or know it was around.

I had my brother with me at the time and he didn't seen him coming either, so I can only guess that the dog bolted behind a parked car (scared by the noise of my diesel car)

Anyways, dog had injurys to both front legs (1 was limp and may be broken) other had cuts and grazes on it. Called owner (from dog tag) and not too impressed - told him get the dog to the vet asap (he was looking for it at the time when I called as he escaped from the house)

After this happend I went to the local police station to report it and gave all details releating to the issue.

Motoring related side of things - who is to blame and what comeback can there be. What if there is any damaged to my car resulting of the accident? Would I have to fork out the vet bills? BTW I only had this car for 2 months so its a new Citroen C2 with guards all on the underside (no damage I hope - but got to check it all over later).
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Dynamic Dave
Same thing happened to me nearly 3 yrs ago, where I ran over a dog and it caused £350+ damage to my car.

In short, the dog owner is responsible for the accident if the dog was allowed to roam freely on the highway, and therefore has to pay for your car to be repaired. Vets bills are also down to the owner. If dog owner gets shirty, then you might also want to seek advice from your local CAB office about ways of seeking payment for damage to your car.

Also see the links I posted in www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=39...6
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Dave N
All down to the dog owner.

Strangely, if it was a kid, who one could argue was more intelligent and 'road aware' than a dog, then you'd be in deep trouble. There would be calls for speed humps/cameras/railingsairbags on bonnets etc. and calls for the death penalty for drivers that hit them.
Thanks guys - that takes a load of my mind. I feel so horriable about this issue, but have to let it go as one of the things in life that happens (which is why its called an accident)

Checked car over and there is nothing broken or missing that I know off (solid built Citroen C2 then) Have advised the local plod to let me know how the dog does. She said they will give them a call to check up on things. Lass on the desk didn't know if I needed to produce all of my docs - did say if I was a dis-honest guy would I be here to report this :) - she smiled and said thats okay and you don't to bring them in unless I get a phone call for them.

Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Roly93
Definately in law all down to the dog owner, which is why dog collisions have to be reported by law also.
In the case of some other animals such as cats, they are seen in law as being feral animals and are not bound by the same legislation as dogs which are assumed to be controlleable and under the control of their owners.
I know emotion can creep in in situations such as these, but the cold hard fact is that the dog owner is responsible for everything here unless he can prove any mailice on your part, which of course there isn't from the sound of it.
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Jemima Can
As an aside, if a dog didn't have an identifying tag, would the RSPCA be the place to take the injured animal? Assuming you don't know where the nearest veterinary surgery is located.

Would the driver's insurance cover vets bills for 'non-owned' dog?

Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Lud
Cats may have a lower status than dogs in law, but their owners may be just as fond of them as dog owners of their pooches.

Some years ago a cat darted under the front wheel of my car at night as I accelerated away from a junction, much too quickly to give me time to react. Both offside wheels ran over the animal and I saw it leap high in the air in my rv mirror, then run away very fast. I doubt if it was unscathed and its back was probably broken.

I felt very sad about it as it was undoubtedly someone's beloved moggy. They seldom live out their nine whole lifespans in London, what with cars, foxes and dogs.
Thats a interesting one Jemima, I know where the local vet is (when I had my cats - due to get them back soon from my brother)

But I don't and never had to set foot in a vet so don't know how it works for the non-owner with the injured animal.

Going back to the car - should a fault raise its ugly head come 3-4 months down the line that is releated to the event today ie long the lines of brake pipe damaged unseen to the non mechinal mind (providing I can stop!) - can I claim/sue the owner of the dog for damages releating the repair of the damage?

I will have to get a stronger torch out tomorrow and go though every nook and cranny to see there is anything..
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Big Bad Dave
I'm pretty sure if it's a 'non-owned' dog you can take it home and eat it.
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Leif
I'm pretty sure if it's a 'non-owned' dog you can take
it home and eat it.

Are you Korean?

Only today I had to stop my car and wait while a young Spaniel pottered about in the road. I must have sat there ofr a minute or two before it finally got clear of my vehicle. Then the owner (I assume) appeared. They were heading towards a main road. I felt sorry for the dog that it would probably not live long due to an irresponsible owner.
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - deepwith
If the dog is insured, which it should be, then you should not have a problem if your car is damaged - my dog insurance covers up to £2m. third party (presumably incase he runs a bus off the road?).
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Jemima Can
Now I know why I never got away with claiming "the dog ate my homework."

It was my mum and dad's fault all along - damn! How did I miss that? I should have made them claim on the insurance.

Perhaps I could lodge a retrospective claim for failing to fulfil my childhood potential - anyone know what the statute of limitations on that is?
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - kithmo
I'm pretty sure if it's a 'non-owned' dog you can take
it home and eat it.

IIRC, not so, roadkill can only be taken home and eaten when found already dead, i.e. not killed by you. So the next driver to come along can take it home and eat it ;0)
IIRC, not so, roadkill can only be taken home and eaten when found already dead,

Not any more. You hit it; you can legally pick it up.
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Micky
">scared by the noise of my diesel car<"

Yes, they are obnoxiously noisy aren't they. Just think, if your conveyance was powered by a combustion engine then the poor doggy might not be facing life in one of those doggy wheelchair things. But at least you can get a few more miles per gallon. So that's OK then.
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Altea Ego
Micky

I have

a: a dog hat was run over by a car and was nearly put down
and
b: a diesel car.

Now what can you make of that?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Hamsafar
You're not a hat man?
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - oilrag
Scary thing about accidentally hitting a cat is its bone structure, the skeleton would be at home in a chicken.
Scary thing about accidentally hitting a cat is its bone structure,
the skeleton would be at home in a chicken.

You mean you actually stop to look at the mess? I've seen people like you in scary films.
A dog hat? I've worn some rather strange things on my head over the years, but never a dog hat. Do you mean a beaver hat?
A dog hat? I've worn some rather strange things on my
head over the years

Perhaps not a dog hat, but dogskin gloves are highly regarded I believe, better than kangaroo for driving.

If you're a glove-wearing type, that is. I don't myself. Rather have the calluses.
I thought I hit the dog and hurt the front 2 legs... rear two okay I think (well he was trying walk away!)
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - oilrag
"Yes, they are obnoxiously noisy aren't they. Just think, if your conveyance was powered by a combustion engine then the poor doggy might not be facing life in one of those doggy wheelchair things. But at least you can get a few more miles per gallon. So that's OK then."

The constant roaring growl and vibration going into the road, from our old IDI Diesel, has saved a lot of wildlife. Its the eco car whispering along that flattens them all :)
The constant roaring growl and vibration going into the road, from
our old IDI Diesel, has saved a lot of wildlife.
Its the eco car whispering along that flattens them all :)

No, that's not quite right. I think you'll find that the slow speed achieved by your elderly deseal allows the wildlife to observe, snigger and then continue with their daily business, safe in the knowledge that such a vehicle could never achieve a velocity capable of presenting any meaningful risk ;-)
Hitting a dog with my car (accident) - Cliff Pope
There is a popular belief that the obligation to report an accident with a dog ended when dog licences were abolished. I don't think that is true, but I did find the police pretty uninterested when I tried to report to report an accident some months ago.

I certainly wouldn't risk going near an injured animal and trying to take it to a vet. Injured animals can turn very nasty. You don't need to be savaged by a rabid Pit Bull look-alike. I dragged the one I hit off the road because it looked dead and was a traffic hazzard on a blind bend, but it then got up, snarled, and ran (limped) off.

There is a popular belief that the obligation to report an accident with a dog ended when dog licences were abolished.

Visit any police website and you'll see you still have to report accidents involving dogs.

eg,

www.thamesvalley.police.uk/faq/default.asp?Action=...4
www.dorset.police.uk/infocentre/faq/display.shtml?...1
www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/information/InfoCent...0
>> There is a popular belief that the obligation to report
an accident with a dog ended when dog licences were abolished.

Yeah, but some people think you ought to reverse over it a few times and then leave, preferably through a ford or watersplash...