Parking on the pavement - Spospe
Got a new neighbour with 5 vehicles, only one of which is parked off road on their driveway. The garage is full of household material, so the other 4 cars park on the road. The road is quite narrow and as they park on both sides it becomes narrower still (2 outside the house and 2 on the other side).

They show some consideration to other road users by parking half-on the pavement, but usually facing the wrong way.

Is it legal to park half-on the pavement and if so should the lights be on during the hours of darkness?

Any suggestions as to what can be done (slashing tyres, breaking off door mirrors and ?keying? the cars, whilst attractive are not legal), talking to them just produces a ?what can we do, we have 5 vehicles?? kind of response.
Parking on the pavement - Armitage Shanks {p}
Take some photos and send them to the police amd leave it to them. Parking on the pavement obstructs it for the handicapped and disabled and is not permitted unless there are signs to say that it is. I think vehicles cam be parked without lights but must be parked in the direction they would be driving if theytwere on that side of the road ie drivers coming along the road see red rear reflectors on the parked vehicle - have I explained that OK? E&OE!
Parking on the pavement - Lud
Spospe, if they 'show some consideration for other road users', in a road where (one assumes) many other cars are also parked, making it narrow, why do you care whether what they are doing is legal or not and why do you sort of half-want to vandalise their cars?

If there is some specific problem (e.g. their cars prevent you from getting into your own driveway) they sound as if they would be amenable to reason. Otherwise, what can they do? They have five vehicles which they must think they need.
Parking on the pavement - nortones2
It rather annoys me that the needs of such people come before that of others. An elderly relation has been prevented from getting along the highway (which the pavement is) by people who prevent access by blocking the road and pavement. Don't tell Ken, but there's an answer to congested cities in Tokyo. No garage, no car permit.
Parking on the pavement - Robbie
I have every sympathy with the OP. Fortunately, we have wide roads and quite large detached houses with lots of land, but most of the owners have changed their garages to living accommodation leaving less room for their vehicles. The result is a proliferation of vehicles half on the road and half on the pavement. A couple of people even park their cars wholly on the pavement. Many are too idle to park their cars on their drives. One neighbour has had the whole of his front garden block paved with a drive in and out, and gates at each entrance. He never bothers to park on his drive but leaves both of his vehicles parked outside.

The roads and pavements look a mess, and with many parked outside for the whole day, the gutters are not properly swept when the road sweeper comes along. The Police and council don't seem to care that the pavements are obstructed, making it difficult, and sometimes impossible, for invalid carriages and prams to use the pavements.
Parking on the pavement - Armitage Shanks {p}
Hi Robbie, drastic measures called for I think. Get any person on a mobility scooter, whose progress is impeded by this parking to ring 999. Reason, they have to get home to take their medication and they can't get by because of illegal parking. Just one call should sort it! Or they could try to get past and might just happen to scrape the said vehicle. Lots of ways of skinning a cat!
Parking on the pavement - ForumNeedsModerating
Fully concur about the selfishnees of pavement parkers - in most cases they do have an alternative,
but put their convneience above everyone else's . It's just a shame you've mentioned it to them already & can
be identified when/if you get photographic evidence etc. & forward to the police or LA , which sounds like the best
solution. I'm in a similar-ish position - a neighbour who runs a plumbing business: has 2 cars + big van with his 2
employees parked there throughout the day - it's always a game of slalom getting to my house, then smartish wheel
work to turn into my drive.
One consolation though - if they surmise you've reported them & cold shoulder you, you've not lost a good neighbour,
but just confirmed a bad one.

Best of luck with it.
Parking on the pavement - AlastairW
I have a similar situation here. The family opposite have 5 vehicle between them including two minibuses, a large van and two cars (at the last count). I think the number of vehicle registered to a property should equal the number of bedrooms its has, so that would cut the vehicle count down to three!-)
Parking on the pavement - Chris M
A bit of a pet hate of mine, especially when it's totally unnecessary as it usually is around where I live.

There is one particular residential road I walk the dog along where the road is quite wide enough for two cars or vans to pass without the need to slow down. If a car parks by the curb (usually unnecessary as all the houses have sufficient off road parking), there is still enough room for a lorry to easily pass with no danger of hitting the parked car. One particular moron though sometimes parks mostly on the pavement and about two feet on the road. This leaves just enough room for two cars to pass, but with a greater risk of being hit by one of the cars. I can't see what purpose it serves.

If cars are too far on the pavement when I'm walking along, I frequently accidently catch their door mirror with my arm. Shame they have to spend time putting it back :-)
Parking on the pavement - martint123
I've seen a number of parents pushing prams to accidentally catch cars parked on our village pavements.
Someone has also been stickering them "Roads are for cars, Pavements are for people". Not sure what glue was used.
Parking on the pavement - Spospe
Thanks guys. It is always reassuring to get confirmation that other people feel as I do about some issues. In this case I am not personally inconvenienced (other neighbours are) and I suspect that some form of group protest is the way forward.

I agree with Robbie who said that many of his neighbours have converted their garages into living accommodation and that this exacerbates the situation. If they wanted x rooms, why didn?t they buy a house with x rooms in the first place?

Rant over; I feel a lot better already.
Parking on the pavement - runboy
It happens round my way too. The roads are wide enough for two cars to pass either way at the same time, but people think by parking half on the (narrow) pavement it makes everything ok. Cars still can not pass so have to wait for on coming traffic just the same as if they had parked fully on the road, so why block the pavement?

I did read on another forum that a poster on there walks over the top of cars if they block his way and he quotes the law as being on his side.....not sure on that one myself.
Parking on the pavement - ForumNeedsModerating
It happens round my way too. The roads are wide enough for two cars to pass either way at the same time, but people think by parking half on the (narrow) >>pavement it makes everything ok. Cars still can not pass so have to wait for on coming traffic just the same as if they had parked fully on the road, so why block >>the pavement?

Yep runboy, same here. I'm surprised when I see the owners since mostly they have the laces laces on their shoes & I'm sure one
was actually walking whilst chewing gum, since I thought they parked as they did because of stupendous dimness.

Parking on the pavement - Stuartli
I have a very similar problem on a road that will (just) take three vehicles abreast. So if cars are parked legitimately it means that two vehicles approaching each other have to trust there is a gap between parked cars.

However, my next door neighbours have several vehicles, including two Ford Transits, and park both on the road along with their two other vehicles. Their driveway remains unoccupied.

Getting out of my drive can prove a nightmare with two Transits parked on each side of my drive (one is across their own driveway).

No doubt someone will suggest a quiet word with such neighbours but, unfortunately, these are the classic neighbours from Hell.

Apart from these point, the car owners who half park on the pavement are a blessing in disguise (and I speak as one who would normally condone such behaviour). It means that you can make some progress if two vehicles are approaching each other without too much difficulty.

In fairness, I must point out that my road comprises late Victorian housing that was around long before the arrival of the motor car, hence the comparatively narrow road width.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Parking on the pavement - cub leader
>>.... I think the number
of vehicle registered to a property should equal the number of
bedrooms its has, so that would cut the vehicle count down
to three!-)

Unfortunatly not a practical suggestion Alistair! My family have also got 5 vehicles and a 3 bedroom house, just happens that my dad has a company car, my mum has a car for getting to and fro to work as do my brother and I (when I'm not at uni!) we also have a motorcaravan. the only key thing is to park considerately we have found is to park considerately, which does mean that my dads car and mine are not usually parked on our road, they are parked on the road which our one comes off.
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
Parking on the pavement - L'escargot
I detest pavement parking. I seem to remember reading that in Japan if you don't have an off-road parking space you're not allowed to have a car. It's just a pity we don't have the same law. One thing which most people don't seem to realise is that the foundations of pavements aren't made for vehicles to be driven on them and doing so can damage both the pavement itself and underground services ~ gas pipes, water pipes etc. Unfortunately the police usually turn a blind eye if there is a free width of at least a metre. See the "Pavement parking" section in tinyurl.com/28kwwa for the legalities of the matter.
--
L\'escargot.
Parking on the pavement - Andy P
I wonder how many of these people tell their insurance companies that the car is kept on the road and not in a driveway/garage. I'd imagine that the vast majority would use this as an excuse to invalidate the policy.
I wonder how many of these people tell their insurance companies
that the car is kept on the road and not in
a driveway/garage. I'd imagine that the vast majority would use this
as an excuse to invalidate the policy.

If they did invalidate the policy it wouldn't be an excuse it would be a legitimate move if the policy holder had lied about where the vehicle was customarily parked. Premiums are based on the risk to the insurer.
--
L\'escargot.
Parking on the pavement - Cliff Pope
You could join the Pedestrians Association. they do a range of stickers and leaflets, saying "Pavements are for pedestrians". If you stick one of those on the windscreen just in front of the driver, and keep it up every day, in the end the owner may get the message.

I used to have great fun years ago when I lived in London and cycled to work. I used to pass one blatant pavement parker who quite needlessly occupied the entire pavement even though it was a wide road. After a bout of stickers he moved half on to the road. I kept up the campaign but he took no notice. So I upped the stakes by using black Bostic adhesive instead of the licky gum on the label. After a few goes he meekly moved back into the road.
But after he week he was back on the pavement. I resumed the sticker campaign, so he moved back to the road. After that it took about one sticker a week to keep him off the pavement. If he got stubborn I went back to Bostic, otherwise I let him off with gum.
Utterly childish, but great fun. I never encountered him, but I knew on a bike I could always make a quick getaway.
Parking on the pavement - Brian Tryzers
> I never encountered him, but I knew on a bike I could always make a quick getaway.

I trust you weren't riding your bike on the pavement, Cliff. There's a whole other thread in that! Know of anyone who prints stickers to attach to pavement cyclists?

Back to the original subject, I suspect altruism in terms of traffic flow has little to do with most people's decision to park on the pavement: they're more concerned with putting their own vehicle where it's less likely to be damaged. Sadly (for them) it can be difficult to get a side-by-side three-wheel pushchair through the gap they leave without making contact, and our buggy may well have had more paint on it when we sold it than when it left the factory.

Parking on the pavement - jc2
When you put a sticker on,you don't need Bostik,just use a little petrol instead of the water/spit,it turns the glue into a really sticky,gooey mass.
Parking on the pavement - Brian Tryzers
> ...just use a little petrol...

Of course - I never go anywhere without my hip flask of petrol. >;---¦

Of course - I never go anywhere without my hip flask
of petrol. >;---¦

It would be most unsociable if you met a petrol-sniffing friend and didn't have anything to offer them!
--
L\'escargot.
It would be most unsociable if you met a petrol-sniffing friend
and didn't have anything to offer them!
--

Must have been in the wild old days before it was outlawed. Time for a quick snifter, old boy?
Must have been in the wild old days before it was
outlawed.

Cycling on the pavement is outlawed but people do it nevertheless!
--
L\'escargot.
Parking on the pavement - yorkiebar
Whilst i sympathise with the parking problems, and I usually have around 5 cars at home at any one time and always keep them on my property; it has to be remembered that you do not own the road outside your house and any legally taxed, insured, roadworthy car is allowed to park there.

A more subtle move is to use their parking spaces and make them move their vehicles further away etc?

But social conversation and talk is a way lot better than anti social measures. A good neighbour with a parking problem is a lot better than a bad neighbour with lots of cars!
is a lot better than a bad neighbour

Anything is better than a bad neighbour. I know ~ I've got one.
--
L\'escargot.
Parking on the pavement - oilrag
"Anything is better than a bad neighbour"

Agree 100% L`escargot, Parking problems are insignificant in comparison................

Parking on the pavement - PW
Police were fining people for this on my estate recently as is a big problem round by me too. As for the parking in the road- you will probably find the local council endorse this, My parents neighbour spoke to the council about this and their reply was they like it as it acts as traffic calming.

Obviously they've not come to see this in action as the driving is not at all calm, with people trying to get round the artificial slalom course of parked cars scattered everywhere.
Parking on the pavement - PW
Sorry- posted too fast- meant to say fining for blocking pavements.
And another pet hate.......

Cars that chew up grass verges. IMO as bad a litter for ruining our living environment.
Parking on the pavement - Peter D
It is a pavement not a road, get off and stay off. Regards Peter
Parking on the pavement - Welliesorter
Cars that chew up grass verges. IMO as bad a
litter for ruining our living environment.

Pavement/grass verge parking was a problem outside my Mother's house. An elderly neighbour ran a one woman campaign against this, constantly complaining to the police and council, with each saying that the other was responsible for dealing with the issue. Eventually, the council responded by tarmaccing over the verges to make the pavement parking easier.

Parking on the pavement - Lud
I've never seen anything wrong with parking on pavements. Of course you can't usually get away with it just round here, but where you can and it seems appropriate I don't see what's wrong with it. Always enjoyed traditional Paris parking, at an angle on a corner on a pedestrian crossing with one wheel on a shop doorstep.

Can't remember ever living in a place where everyone does it though. Perhaps if I had I would feel differently.
>>........... I don't see what's
wrong with it.

It can damage the pavement and also underground services.
--
L\'escargot.
And another pet hate.......
Cars that chew up grass verges. IMO as bad a
litter for ruining our living environment.

I agree. I go to all the trouble of trying to make the grass verge (we have no pavement) outside our house as neat as our lawns and and it gets abused by thoughtlessand inconsiderate drivers. What would they say if I drove over their lawn?
--
L\'escargot.
Parking on the pavement - rustbucket
>>I agree. I go to all the trouble of trying to make the grass verge (we have no pavement) outside our house as neat as our lawns and and it gets abused by thoughtlessand inconsiderate drivers. What would they say if I drove over their lawn?

My father had this problem as there is a letter box attached to a telegraph pole in his hedge,bone idle -lazy so and so"s too idle to get out of their cars when posting letters.He curred it by planting very large stones painted white in the grass verge. A few vehicle lost thier sumps / sills till they got the message.

--
rustbucket (the original)
He curred it by planting very large stones painted white
in the grass verge. A few vehicle lost thier sumps /
sills till they got the message.

I considered doing that myself but apparently there is the risk that someone hitting them might take legal action. The rocks I envisaged would have had to have been put in place with mechanical handling equipment by the supplier because they would have been much too heavy to move by hand!
--
L\'escargot.
I agree. I go to all the trouble of trying
to make the grass verge (we have no pavement) outside our
house as neat as our lawns and and it gets abused
by thoughtlessand inconsiderate drivers. What would they say if I drove
over their lawn?

That's exactly what the fire brigade did in one recent case. Access down the road was blocked by semi-pavement parkers, so they drove their engines straight across a series of front gardens to get to the fire.
Parking on the pavement - No FM2R
In a chatroom where people think that getting a ticket in a car park for breaching the rgulations, where people think that clamping is the devil's work, then I find it strange that there would be so many examples of people either suggesting vandalaism (with prams, wheelchairs, whatever) and others finding it acceptable behaviour.

If I parked inconsiderately and my neighbour vandalised my car, then inconsiderate parking would be the very least of th difficulties I would find ways of causing.

And as for the suggestion that one can park as many cars as bedrooms in your house, thats a little silly. Most 4 & 5 bedroom houses would not have room to park four or five cars and in my case I would be entitled to park nine; That'd mess up the village.

Don't annoy your neighbours, its not worth it. Not only is life too short, payback is a bitch and can frequently be very long-lived. I've seen people whose lives have been consumed by such a conflict, far in excess of the requirements of the original problem.

Loads of people park outside my house, I can't say I care - its a road. Occasionally people park on the path, rarely is it persistent, but when it is someone will ask them not to. And if they refuse to move, I just let it go - I cannot imagine vandalising their car becoming a path I would take.
"Loads of people park outside my house, I can't say I care" - Presumably they're guests, as with nine bedrooms, your house must be a hotel ;-)
Parking on the pavement - Robbie
In the village where I live there are some pensioners' bungalows. None of these have drives, just a small area of lawn at the front with a short path from the pavement. They are set back from the main road through the village with a lawned area with trees and flower beds. separating them from the main road. The Council has provided about twenty or so parking places in a form of a lay-by, directly in front of those bungalows . There are usually only about three or four cars parked there, yet visitors - I assume - park on the pavement as close to the bungalows as possible at each end. The most they would have to walk from the parking area is thirty yards.
Parking on the pavement - Xileno {P}
I agree with No FM2R. Ask politely to move, there's no point raising your blood pressure over these matters. The house next to us is let out as it's one of the few left on the farm that hasn't been sold off and there's a change of tenent about every six months. If they park in a certain position (quite legally) it makes it hard for me to reverse the van out. But I always speak to them politely and they soon park more considerately. Being big and ugly might help as well ;-)
Parking on the pavement - No FM2R
>>Being big and ugly might help as well

I didn't know you were big.

;-)
Parking on the pavement - burpie
Pavement parkers are one of my biggest pet hates. I often inflict damage to the paintwork or break off a mirror, but reading through this thread, I think non removable stickers might be a better idea. After all, these people probably don't realise why their car has been vandalised.
Parking half on the payment - Chris S
Is it illegal to park with the nearside wheels on the pavement?

I've noticed a lot of people do this on busy narrow roads and yet they never seem to get a ticket.

Also, how about parking on grass verges?
Parking half on the payment - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't think you are going to get many replies! This subject is being done to death here in the usual BackRoom style of

1 Bald Statement of Fact

2. Blunt contradiction

3. Verbal abuse.

Enjoy!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=49...4
Parking half on the payment - Bromptonaut
AFAIK it's only an offence in London but even then with exceptions where signage permits it
Parking half on the payment - nortones2
its nor so much the parking except where there are restrictions, but driving on the pavement contrary to Section 72 of the highways Act 1835 as amended became a fixed penalty offence on 1 August 1999. Unless its been revoked, to save the Polis from doing owt about it. Which seems to be their current policy. Saving their energy no doubt.
Parking half on the payment - Blue {P}
Oh no, not again! :-(

Blue
Parking half on the payment - Chris M
I find myself thinking the same thing every day. I'd guess perhaps half the new posts have been covered before and they're not all as interesting as pavement parking! ;-)
Parking half on the payment - jc2
Parking is no longer a police responsibility but obstruction is.
Parking half on the payment - Xileno {P}
Been here too long? ;-)
Parking half on the payment - milkyjoe
there has been a reinsergence of the facist party where i live ( traffic wardens) they have been increased in numbers 10 fold and are run by the council now, they ticket anything and everything, parking on pavements in particular judging by the number of complaining letters in the local rag, there are that many cars now clogging up side roads and that looking for a safe parking haven that congestion is worse not better
Parking half on the payment - Spospe
Hi everybody, I have an update on my pavement parking neighbours.

It turns out that they are a family (Mum and Dad anyway) of Property Developers, proper Sahara Beeney types. So the problem of pavement parking and general lack of consideration to everyone else is simply explained. They are not going to stay; therefore they feel no sense of belonging (neighbourliness) and so care nothing for the situation of today, as they will soon be gone.

I never before looked upon Property Developers as a curse, but they can be. They are selfish and have no interest in you or me; they make a mess and move on.

Not really a motoring topic anymore, but I thought that I would share the outcome with you all.
Parking half on the payment - rustbucket
Property developers ! well say no more. I have had my fair share of their atitude.Basically they move in create havoc and move on when they have got all they can out of the situation,they care not for anyone except themselves Maggie Thatchers model voters.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Parking half on the payment - deepwith
Friend (a young widow) lives in the end house in a long cul de sac, all chalet bungalows have parking for at least three cars (if they don't mind shuffling) in their drives plus a garage - yet both sides of the road are parked on every evening. None on the pavement. This leaves no room for an ambulance or fire engine and no verges to cut across.. It made the last year of her husbands life even more difficult as he had to be taken into hospital on several occasions as a night time emergency - two years on many of those neighbours who had to be woken to move cars still treat her appallingly and will eventually force her to move, although it is too soon for her yet. I presume they won't see the light until they need an emergency vehicle. Brilliant traffic calming though......