Car shakes at tickover - Mark
Recently (the last week) my wife's AX has started to shake at tickover, quite badly.

Before that, when in neutral, it was prone to a bit of rattling from the engine compartment, which disappeared when depressing the clutch. Car manual fault-finding things seemed to suggest this was some kind of gearbox bearing problem.

Any ideas what the two problems are and whether they are related?

BTW this is a fairly high mileage (90,000) AX 1.5D, which we've had for about 6 months. Apart from these problems it is quite a good car - uses no oil, quite smooth and quiet (and surprisingly fast) - so I'd like to get it a bit more sorted.
Re: Car shakes at tickover - Mike Harvey
Mark, I would think it most unlikely that the clutch would make the car shake, so you can rule that out at this stage. If it has been running well recently, you can probably rule out a sudden drop in compression of one or more cylinders, which would make the engine lumpy. Most likely cause is a faulty injector or air in the injection system which will need bleeding out. There are other possible causes, but rule out the most simple first.
Should keep you busy tomorrow.
Regards
Mike
Re: Car shakes at tickover - Ajit Matthew
try engine mountings
Re: Car shakes at tickover - Richard Hall
Rattly gearbox is almost certainly a worn bearing - a pretty common problem on older AXs, and I would be tempted to ignore it unless it gets suddenly worse.