1000 mile service - Justin Eidelburgher
Been looking at my friend's new Rover 45 handbook again, and was amazed to find that there seems to be no 1000 mile free service, nor even a recommendation to change to oil and filter then. Is this usual these days? I said if I were him I'd change it anyway - am I a) dreadfully behind the times or b) abnormally prissy? Any opinions (preferably supporting me!) out there?
Re: 1000 mile service - richard price
current thinking is let the new engine bed in for 12 months or 12000 miles then change the oil (unless manufacture states earlier) then 6K or 6 months. I believe HJ supports this.
Re: 1000 mile service - Honest John
I do.

HJ

(support it, I mean.)
Re: 1000 mile service - Keithb
I know that Ford scrapped the oil/filter change at the 1500 mile service years ago. Then, in 1996, they scrapped the 'service' completely. My BMW 330d will get its first service at 13500 miles when it's about 2 years old. I think changing the oil at 1000 miles belongs to the days when cars had a 'running in, please pass' sign on the back! The problem is that no-one (except perhaps the car makers and oil cos.) knows whether there is any benefit in an early oil change. What is certain is that today's oils and the manufacturing tolerances of engines are worlds apart from those of the 1950/1960s.
So where does all the cr@p go? - watcher
If you don't change the oil until 12 months have passed, what's happened to all the swarf from that tight, new engine?
Re: 1000 mile service - Robert
What, not even an oil change in 2 years?
No. Car is currently 14 months old with 7250 miles. Computer shows first service due in 5575 miles time. Only proviso in the handbook is that very low mileage cars should have an oil & filter change every 2 years. Apart from that, BMW servicing is not time related. (+ brake fluid has to be changed every 2 years and coolant every 4 years, no cam belt of course).

When new, the computer showed first service at 13800 miles so this has reduced by about 1000 miles in 14 months and will reduce further as time goes on so first service might be at 22 or 23 months. The car hasn't seen a dealer since I collected it in Eindhoven with 9 miles on the clock.
Re: 1000 mile service - pete
Much as i don't believe in oil changes ever 3k to have a oil change once in two years is asking for long term problems , i would change at lest the oil yearly.
The filter obviously collects the nasty bits but once thats blocked the oil goes on by pass , when i did my own oil changes they had magnetic sump plugs , a good idea i thought , don't know if this is still the case.
My A4 has the longlife system as well but this is really only intended for high mileage's , i do about 8k a year and when i had mine serviced i checked the long life mileage which showed 1k to next service , i would suggest you longlife system may need reprogramming
"My A4 has the longlife system as well but this is really only intended for high mileage's , i do about 8k a year and when i had mine serviced i checked the long life mileage which showed 1k to next service , i would suggest you longlife system may need reprogramming"

Pete

I don't know anything about the Audi longlife system but on the current 3 series there is just a display of the no. of miles to next service and the type of service i.e. 'oil' in my case, which is the most minor of the service types. Nothing that can be reprogrammed AFAIK and BMW are happy providing oil/filter are changed at least every 2 years.
Re: So where does all the cr@p go? - Andrew Hamilton
I remember when Honda motorbikes had such tight tolerance that problems occurred in running in. Owners drove so carefully and the oil was good quality so the cylinders were polished rather than worn. Result was higher oil consumption than expected. Solution by Honda was to increase the clearance.
Re: what filters are for - J todd
Watcher: filters - is the answer to your cr@p question
Re: 1000 mile service - Mahatma Coate
Father in Law has an A4 which shows that it will do 17000 miles before its first service..... ouch!
Re: 1000 mile service - Honest John
There are now four types of Castrol oil for VAG engines: SLX Longlife II 506.01 for Y2K+WIV (service indicator) enabled diesels at £12 a litre; SLX Synth for Y2K+WIV enabled petrol engines at £9.50 a litre; 505.01 for non Y2K+WIV enabled TDI PD diesels at £9.50 a litre; and Magnatic Semi Synthetic at £5.95 a litre for the rest. Confused? Even some VAG franchises are.

HJ
Re: 1000 mile service - Brian
HJ
I may be worrying unduly, but how does the punter tell whether the £5.95/litre oil has been put in but he has been charged for the 12 quid a litre stuff?
Re: 1000 mile service - Trevor Potter
The answer to your question is a).

By the way - NEW Rover 45? interesting.
Re: 1000 mile service - Carl 2
When I change my oil at 3000miles (4-5) months . It always looks dirty. I always use Magnatec. When you consider the cost of the oil and filter together only amount to about £25 . What do you hope to achieve by stretching the mileage.