Renault Master Key - Martin Devon
Hi All,

For the third time now one of the van keys has failed in as much as the button for the central locking has collapsed, almost as if the part that 'spring' returns the button has failed. Had two of these replaced under warranty, but now I am on my own and I think it is a diabolical liberty that a Renault dealer wants £100.00. + the dreaded to provide a new key. The failed key still works the immobiliser. Do I have any other choices??

Happy new year to all........regards..............MD
Renault Master Key - LeePower
Isnt just the housing that has worn out / failed? Does the PCB part with buttons still work?

I know on Peugeot / Citroen cars you can buy a new keyfob housing with the byttons for less then £10 & swop the bits over yourself.

Is this an infra red keyfob with one button, small red led & a short blade with a slot in the end?
Isnt just the housing that has worn out / failed? Does
the PCB part with buttons still work?
I know on Peugeot / Citroen cars you can buy a
new keyfob housing with the byttons for less then £10 &
swop the bits over yourself.
>>

PCB?

Is this an infra red keyfob with one button, small red
led & a short blade with a slot in the end?.....................Yes it is. Perhaps I'll try to open it. Although when it was replaced under warranty they provided a new key and obviously had to re-program that. I've got to say that £100.00. is a blooming cheek.

Best regards...........................MD.
Its very rare for the button on the PCB to fail on these.

I know Peugeot / Citroen used the same key from the early 1990s & sold the housings as a spare part ( obviously with there own logo on the button )

Vauxhall use it to on there clones of the Renault van ( think its Vivaro )

Undo that tiny screw, gently pull the key blade out & then pop the case apart.

Best to do this over a white cloth on a table, there's a very small black immobiliser chip floating about inside the keyfob that is easy to lose, if you drop it on the floor it can very hard to find & without the chip you wont be able to start the engine!

Peugeot used to charge £65 for one of these keys with a new blade, just need the infra red code from the sticker inside the fob.

These infra red keys dont use a rolling code either ;-)
Hi Lee. We may be at odds here. I thought a rolling code was used, but that is just a thought. There is no screw to part the thing and it would appear that it justs 'snaps' together/apart. Should I have a go??

Best regards..........MD.
The transponder immobiliser has a rolling code but the infra red remote locking part doesnt.

Normally theres a tiny cross head screw on the back holding the key blade in.

You can pop the case apart but do it over a table, if you happen to drop the small black immobiliser chip inside the keyfob on the floor your in trouble if you cant find it again.
Lee, there is definetely no screw. I will pop it apart tomorrow and report the results. Having a glass of wine with Dinner now and if I get to it at this moment then a disaster looms methinks. Thanks for all your help.

Best.................................MD.