Fords - j.cronin
Most people seem to denigrate Ford;They may not be the most refined of cars or the highest performing but they will still be going when your Peugeots have gone to the breakers yard in the sky.How many of your fabulous diesel Peugeots have had to have head-gaskets replaced at around 50K?Now,be honest.
Re: Fords - Chris
Well Ford don;t think Diesel Peugeot engines arn't any good they put them in their own cars for years, not sure if they still do or not in the Mundano. By the way I don't have either a Ford or Pug..
Re: Fords - j.cronin
The last Ford with Peugeot engine was early Sierra or Granada.Since then Fords have used their own or VM.The new Fiesta-this year- will have a jointly and I mean jointly developed-Ford and Peugeot.
Re: Ford and Peugeot - Neil
Not only do Ford think Peugeot diesel engineering is quite good, Ford are in partnership with PSA to develop a joint range of diesel engines. How else would Ford be able to develop the de rigeur performance diesel for Jaguar?
Re: Fords - Andrew Barnes
What are you getting at here? I recently drove a Focus 1.8, the interior was hard, silver tacky plastic - it sounded hollow when you tap it.

Give me VW/Skoda any day.

Andrew
Re: Fords - j.cronin
The Vw is is a nice car;A Skoda is not the same car!
Re: VW and Skoda - Neil
There are plenty of people who use this forum and have driven VWs and Skodas. VWs and Skodas are essentially the same cars: platform, switchgear, engines, and a few engineering modifications in addition to the more obvious cosmetics.
Re: VW and Skoda - j.cronin
Have you been in a Skoda;I have-don't believe all you see on TV!!
No, I haven't been in a Skoda: I've been in a couple of them.

The Fabia's column mounted controls can also be found in the A2, Golf, Seat Leon and Toledo, Audi A4. The engines are the same: same fluid routing, same wiring. This is a cost-effective way of manufacturing vehicles: lots of commonality and proven parts.

Pull them apart and you'll find beauty (and residual values) are only body-panel deep.
Re: VW and Skoda - Trevor Potter
Hmmm! I don't believe ANY TV advertising.

Have bought a Fabia for the wife (Tdi - you know, the engine that is NOW, 2 years later in the New Polo),

AND an Octavia Tdi estate for use by my company employees.

Skoda very high in J D Power ratings (just wait till they include the Fabia) - VW average (as were Ford)

What source are you using for your "Skoda not up to VW" opinion?
Re: VW and Skoda - j.cronin
No source;travelling in one;as I said elsewhere it's not a bad car-buts it's not a VW!
Re: Fords - Andrew Barnes

How do you justify this extemely inacurate comment??

What are you trying to prove?

Andrew

>
> The Vw is is a nice car;A Skoda is not the same car!
Re: Fords - Big Vern
My impression of Fords is summed up by the fact that the Ford Mileometer will only read up to 99,999 before roling over ! The Designers are clearly telling you something there !!!
Re: Fords - Ian Cook
j.cronin wrote:
>
How many of your fabulous diesel Peugeots have had to have head-gaskets replaced at around 50K? Now,be honest.

None at all, JC.

Cast list comprises: 205D (85k), ZX D (65k), ZX TD (45k), 306D (90k and my son's still running it), C15D (84k that I know of). The two Xantias don't count because they fall short of the mileage.

Also, look at the number of XUD engines in use - as was said in the film Zulu "farsands of 'em.

Ian
Re: Fords - Keith
The oedometer on my mondeo goes past 99,999.
Fords vs...... - David W
Excellent post JC, gives plenty of chance to +/- these cars.

Often the (rare-ish) failure of a Pug/Cit head gasket at low miles was user abuse and followed on from cooling faults. Our recent personal experience with PSA diesel engines is 100K with no failure, 220K with no failure and (oh dear) a head gasket failure at 249K because I told SWMBO to ignore the low coolant warning light.

Timing belts should be changed around 45-50K on the PSA engine but they are a robust setup with a strong belt and steel tensioner/rollers giving a good safety margin. I know many who have pushed their luck beyond 100K and been fine (don't advise it though).

In comparison the 1.8D Ford engine has a very fragile timing setup with the extra injection pump belt to change as well as a daft plastic tensioner. That is why they need to be done so much sooner, at 36K. Also the Ford diesel is very agricultural beside the PSA, chalk and cheese really.

Regarding rust Peugeot/Citroens don't, Fords do...simple as that. Our local MOT station (a Ford garage) comment they never see a Pug/Cit experience rust failure in a whole lifetime, many Fords are quite bad by 8yrs old.

Not really knocking the Ford but they are an odd comparison to use for a pop at Peugeot, neither is a BMW!

David
Someones wrong...... - Kev
Hmm funny, our mondeo has done 130,00 miles, maybe an accidental Pug odometer put in by mistake.

Ur wrong somebody, [cant be bothered to find your name], get off your highhorse and get your facts right.

Kev
Re: Someones wrong...... - pete
I can beat that my Audi has done 14,000 miles so there
Re: Someones wrong...... - AndyS
The sirport taxi guy I use has a 98 mondeo td with 275k miles still going strong. Broken down once only. Pretty danmed good I'd say.
Re: VW and Skoda - Mahatma Coate
Worst ad at the moment is VW's about needing reminders that you're driving a diesel. I've driven loads of VW and Audi diesels - here's how you tell

- they are very noisy
- the steering wheel vibrates

but that wouldn't be a good ad would it?
Surely you'd know you were driving a modern diesel because you're stopping for fuel less often and have better driveability than a similar-sized petrol car. . .

Search the archive for "Which is better: diesel or petrol?" type threads before starting, God-help-us, another one.
Re: VW and Skoda - Flat in Fifth
Neil,

I'm glad you mentioned that, now..............zzzzzzzzzzz!
Re: VW and Skoda - cc
One main diff between VW and skoda is that the tactile surfaces are paint in that nice touchy/feely stuff in the VDub, the Skodas make do with the same plastic grades but no rubber feel.