MOT every 2 years - Zippy123
{Weblink to an article in The Times removed and replaced with
www.guardian.co.uk/transport/Story/0,,1959481,00.h...l & www.theherald.co.uk/news/75555.shtml - DD}

I prefer yearly MOTs as I do not beleive that some people will get problems fixed until the MOT.
MOT every 2 years - L'escargot
I prefer yearly MOTs as I do not believe that some
people will get problems fixed until the MOT.

Absolutely. You've hit the nail right on the head. Brakes on an old car can deteriorate to the point of being downright useless in two years.
--
L\'escargot.
MOT every 2 years - Collos25
Its to comply with an EU directive but that Scottish person wants to put some some spin on it to appear to be the motorists friend.
MOT every 2 years - jc2
What is missing from this article is that in some Continental countries where this is already in force,it only applies to vehicles that are dealer serviced and then only by a government-approved dealer.
MOT every 2 years - Nsar
It needs sorting. My 25year old Landy needs an annual MOT, no doubt, but my wife's 3 yr old Freelander does not.

Bi-annual MOTs until a car is over 10 years old is the way forward, an annual MOT was dreamt up when cars were manufactured in wholly different ways with materials that are far inferior to those used today on even the most mundane vehilces.

MOT every 2 years - Collos25
What is missing from this article is that in some Continental countries where this is already in force,it only applies to vehicles that are dealer serviced and then only by a government-approved dealer.

Which countries are these then?
MOT every 2 years - madf
I'm sorry but lik everything in life there are drivers who ONLY get repoairs done to pass an MOT: tyres , brakes, exhausts etc. Give them two years and accident rates through mechanical problems will inevitablye rise imo.
madf
MOT every 2 years - moonshine

Brakes on a NEW car can be downright useless in a lot less than 2 years.
MOT every 2 years - Nsar
Where do you draw the line - test every 6 months, every quarter?

MOT every 2 years - DP
My biggest gripe with the current MOT system is the 3 year exemption for new cars. Many fleet cars have done 100k-150k by this point - more than enough for dangerous faults to have crept in if the maintenance hasn't been up to scratch. Original bushes, bearings and shocks will be at best well into the second half of their lives (if not shot altogether), emissions systems and cats may not be working properly etc etc.

Either scrap the exemption, or introduce a mileage limit (first MOT at 3 yrs or 50,000 miles, for example)

MOT every 2 years - LeePower
What they should do is get rid of this no need for an MOT until the car is 3 years old rule, There's cars under 3 years old driving around with defective brakes & other safety related items, I should know my car was hit by one a few years ago with defective brakes.

Keep the MOT test once a year from the cars first birthday.
MOT every 2 years - cheddar
Something like two yearly from new until 8 years old then yearly thereafter should do it.
MOT every 2 years - Stuartli
IIRC it's from the first year onwards in Japan, hence the "grey" imports of nearly new models to the UK.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MOT every 2 years - DP
"The Shaken" as it is known in Japan is infamous. Due at 3 yrs and then every 2 yrs subsequently, it costs upwards of £700 and includes taxes based on vehicle weight, and a compulsory insurance scheme. I also believe that it demands compulsory replacement of certain safety critical items whether they're worn or not. Hence a lot of Japanese cars are exported at 3 yrs old.

Cheers
DP

MOT every 2 years - Ruperts Trooper
Even with extended service intervals manufacturers still recommend (require under warranty) an annual check.

The idea of relaxing a good, basic, safety check process is abominable. I wouldn't have any trouble accepting every year from new.
MOT every 2 years - colin-e
How come we have to come into line with European vehicle testing schedules?

We have it right with annual testing. Surely our "Government" should be pushing for the rest of Europe to come into line with us.

Its a safety thing - many people (rightly or wrongly) use the MoT as the only means of finding out whether their car is roadworthy or not.

If you regularly service your car, the annual MoT holds no fear - its merely a formality. If you don't, then you have no idea as to how un-safe your car is, until you get a red, grease stained note from the MoT station.

Mind you, two yearly testing in Europe does explain why you quite often see foreign vehicles on our roads with faulty lights.

----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------