Testing glow plugs - Nick Shep
I have a vauxhall zafira dti, i did replace the glow plugs about 2 1/2 years ago, using my mates tools, sadly he moved and i may need to buy the correct tools ,however, i have a digital multimeter, can i use this to read the voltage etc ?
Testing glow plugs - piston power
heat test them see if they "glow" remove from the head and connect to the battery no longer than a few secs it should glow orange. good luck
Testing glow plugs - mjm
You can use the multimeter to see if you have 12 volts across the glowplugs. (Between the wire connection and the engine block) The voltage is probably only there when the light is on on the dash, but some are on for longer.

To heat test them you will need a spanner to undo the wire connection and one to remove the plug. Be aware that they are not just hot, they are serious burn hot, if you see what I mean.
Testing glow plugs - Ian D
With the ignition off you could disconnect them and do an in situ resistance check between the end of the plug and earth.

If you have a duff one it will have a different resistance reading, although the difference may be small, ie 0.8 ohms for the good plugs and, say 1.3 ohms for the bad one.
Testing glow plugs - DP
heat test them see if they "glow" remove from the
head and connect to the battery no longer than a few
secs it should glow orange. good luck

I've done this before - it works a treat.

Hold the hex part of the plug with waterpump pliers after clamping a piece of wire between the pliers and the plug. Connect the other end to the negative terminal of the battery. Clamp another piece of wire under the nut on the end terminal of the plug, and touch the other end of this wire on the positive terminal of the battery. Keep the glow tip pointing away from you, and don't touch the plug for a good 5 minutes afterwards. They stop glowing within a second of disconnecting the power, but stay hot enough to burn for several minutes. This is based on bitter experience! :-(

Cheers
DP
Testing glow plugs - piston power
if all 4 plugs show up ok, you need to check the timer/relays etc, working on nissan they come on full power for 5 secs,shut off then back on for 5 secs, then again, however it will start almost straight away but the timer still drives the plugs while it's running!! as mentioned you can check the plugs with a meter but have found the best way to "heat" them, also check the feed to the heater plugs with a 12volt light see if it is a bright bulb this is what we use, good luck
Testing glow plugs - braindead
the most practical way to test glow plugs in place is to remove wiring then flash power onto the terminals to see if you get a spark at the top showing power being taken (auto electrician for 20 odd years)
Testing glow plugs - Hamsafar
After two and a half years I'd rather replace them if I was going to the trouble of removing them!
Testing glow plugs - braindead
After two and a half years I'd rather replace them if
I was going to the trouble of removing them!

>

its not unusual to find 10 year old plugs (that wont come out without stripping the head)
they generally blow due to misuse>
Testing glow plugs - mreerie
i removed all the glow plugs in my mums 306.
tested them by hold one jump lead to the body of the plug connected to the negative and touching the positive on the battery with the bottom of the plug.
used this method before.
to my suprise none of the plugs worked i didnt think it would be possible to start like that but it did.