Gas struts - john
The Gas struts on my Scorpio estate have suddenly become almost ineffective. They wont hold the tail gate up. Can they be repaired or is it a throw away and visit the scrappy at the weekend to find some newer ones?.
Re: Gas struts - David W
John,

Get a price for new ones from a couple of sources. When I looked for some Citroen ones the other day I was quoted new at £32ea, new at £14ea and re-gassed for about £10ea. The scrapyard wanted £10 for a pair little better than the old ones.

The £14 new ones were by far the best overall value.

David
Re: Gas struts - Alyn Beattie
Hi David

Where can you get them re-gassed? I have a twin wheel box trailer with gas struts on the door. Old piece of kit made in Germany, but I cannot find replacement struts, perhaps re-gassing would be the answer.
Re: Gas struts - john
Thanks david. Not as bad as I thought they may be. I'll have a ring around
John
Re: Gas struts - Dave N
Don't forget, they'll get better as the weather warms up.
Re: Gas struts - Alwyn
Dave,

Yes. Since my MOT chap told me they were included in the test (can't think why) I used to warm the struts on my wifes Volvo 340 with a hair drier before she drove to the MOT station,

They can be dangerous to someone leaning in the boot if they let go and the tailgate falls. The catch can damage a spine. I provided her with a plastic tube to use as a prop to make sure it did not fall in cold weather.

Is that why they are in the MOT? Nowt to do with roadworthiness. Is it?