Tax hike will hit family cars as well - Robbie
Members of the House of Commons Environmental Audit Committe have recommended an increase of £300 within each band of VED with a top rate of £1800. uk.news.yahoo.com/28082006/344/tax-hike-hit-family...l

I'll bet that they are all on huge car allowances paid for by us.

Tax hike will hit family cars as well - Adam {P}
Doesn't the head of the committee (Tim Yeo) have a 5 Series?
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - Chad.R
Doesn't the head of the committee (Tim Yeo) have a 5
Series?

He may well have a 5 series but I vaguely seem to recall that he runs a Prius too ??
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - P3t3r
Why is it that people complain about anything to do driving? I agree with increasing taxes on the unnecessarily big 4x4's etc. They do seem to suggest that small cars will also be hit by these taxes though :-o.
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - martint123
Why is it that people complain about anything to do driving?

Because this is a motoring forum - not a tree-hugging green thingie.
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - Pica
Did I not read somewhere that the Government made a statement distancing themselves from this and it is very unlikely to happen
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - local yokel
VED is not a tax that Gordon wants to raise - it's too in your face. He'd rather find a stealth tax that raises far more without being noticed by Joe Public.

Relax, but realise that he's already got to your wallet via at least 50 other ways!
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - stunorthants
I read in a recent motoring magazine that they prob wont raise VED until after the next election possibly with collaboration with the green party - yikes!
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - Stuartli
>>on the unnecessarily big 4x4's etc. >>

This is/can prove deceptive. The length, width and height of, for instance, a long wheelbase Mitsubishi Shogun are 4830 x 1885 x 1885 mm and those of a Ford Mondeo 4731 x 1812 (1958 with mirriors) x 1441 mm. It's not made clear if the Shogun's width includes mirrors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - DP
Just don't mention kerbweights ;-)

Tax hike will hit family cars as well - mk124
Who cares if people in charge of 'green' taxes all go about in Hummers? It is their money and they can chose how to spend it. Also over the dust to scrapheap life of a car the prirus probably uses more engery, so how can it be green? What we need is uniform taxation for energy across all uses. It is unfair that the energy made to produce the prius is not taxed but we need to pay about 65-70% of our fuel bill to Gordon brown to run a Hummer.
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - madf
"It is unfair that the energy made to produce the prius is not taxed"

?

I thought all petrol is taxed.

It is a HYBRID.. petrol/electric.

madf
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - Adam {P}
I think he means all the energy in the production process such as making the batteries etc...
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - mk124
Exactly Adam.
Tax hike will hit family cars as well - piuzzo_steve
What's so great about a Prius anyway? Toyota can claim what it likes but regular users of the Prius state that they average around 48mpg (according to a newspaper article I read recently). My Leon diesel averages 52mpg: why then is my tax £110 a year more expensive than that of a Prius? In addition, why are 4X4's taxed extra because they give less mpg (resulting in higher emissions) when no extra tax is payable by high performance sports cars (or 'classic' cars over 25years old) often doing less mpg?

The motor industry has cleaned up its act a lot in recent years: generally increasing mpg rates, lower emissions and cars are more recyclable than previously etc. Add to this improvements in safety and it is clear that the industry has at least attempted to clean up its act a little. Why don't the government (and environmentalists) target these other industries: afterall vehicles only contribute 20% of the economy's CO2 emisssions.... what about targetting the causes of the other 80%?

(Rant over).