Vibration Jag XJ8 at 80mph+ - barchettaman
Morning all,
Quick question on behalf of afriend who drives a Jag XJ8, model year 2000, 103k.
Above 80 a high frequency vibration has started to affect the cabin, and as he munches alot of miles on he Autobahn this is a bit of a problem.
Any ideas? He thinks it might be a wheel bearing.
Thanks,
Barchettaman
Vibration Jag XJ8 at 80mph+ - robcars
Sounds like either a wheel bearing or a tyre.

Should be easily checked/confirmed by any garage?
Vibration Jag XJ8 at 80mph+ - DP
Also check the caliper isn't dragging. Had this on our Fiesta and at speed, the pad and disc would overheat and set up a rumble / vibration through the steering.

It was horrible - a real teeth on edge thing.

Cheers
DP
Cheers guys - he´s going to have it checked here in Frankfurt anyway.
Turned out to be a propshaft bearing.
Vibration Jag XJ8 at 80mph+ - Roger Jones
As I scrolled down this thread I thought "propshaft". Only yesterday was my mechanic describing the symptoms of an unbalanced or otherwise faulty propshaft, and the high pitch was one of them. This was as he was fitting a vibration damper to my MB W124 Coupé, which ever since I've had it (since 19k miles) has had a mildly irritating, but not alarming, "thrumming" between 70 and 80; the damper works (official MB solution to known problem).

Anyway, glad your friend has fixed it.
Vibration Jag XJ8 at 80mph+ - SjB {P}
As I scrolled down this thread I thought "propshaft".

Me too; my first thought but I was too slow!
Glad it's sorted.
Vibration Jag XJ8 at 80mph+ - Pete M
On the series 3 XJ12 the spring bearing that supports the back of the engine/gearbox can be assembled several ways. Only one way is right, and one of the signs of incorrect assembly is vibration from under the seats. When the rubber damper bush fails you get a clonk under your seat when driving off. This also applies to XJSs with the GM400 box. The BW box on earlier cars has a different arrangement.