Water-based decarbonisation - mss1tw
Not sure where the best section is, feel free to move it.

This is crazy!

http:/ / forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=118333

Needs to have the spaces removed.
Water-based decarbonisation - DP
S*d that! a few mill too much too quickly and you'll have bent conrods to deal with.

Cheers
DP
Those were exactly my thoughts!
Water-based decarbonisation - Cliff Pope
It's not stupid and it really works, but you don't tip water into the intake! The easiest and safest way is to spray a water mist into the air intake from one of those gardening spray bottles. An alternative is to take a small bore pipe from the vacuum and momentarilly dip it into a jar of water for a fraction of a second. But you need a steady hand - the first method is better.
If you have ever examined the characteristic look of a cylinder that has had a slight water leak from the gasket - nicely steam-cleaned, all carbon removed.

Of course it only removes carbon deposits - it doesn't reseat and grind in the valves, and it doesn't leave a nice ring of uncleared carbon round the piston periphery like using an old piston ring as a guide.
Water-based decarbonisation - Roberson
If you have ever examined the characteristic look of a cylinder
that has had a slight water leak from the gasket -
nicely steam-cleaned, all carbon removed.

Yup, when my Polo popped a head gasket, the affected cylinder was lovely and clean. It was more effective on the cylinder head. Only parts of the piston top were clean.

groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?action=Sho...2
Water-based decarbonisation - glowplug
So what would a nice hot turbo make of that? Do people still clean out their intercoolers?

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Water-based decarbonisation - artful dodger {P}
>>It's not stupid and it really works

When I read this on Monday, it later stirred a memory of when I drove a normally aspirated diesel van. It always felt more powerful on a very damp day than a dry one. May be this was what was happening.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Basically yes.

When I did motocross, the bikes tickover's were set to stall so that if I came off and couldn't reach the kill switch they would just stop.

They would tickover no problem on damp colder days.
Water-based decarbonisation - Cliff Pope
I think this is actually a different effect, to do with damp air being denser therefore a greater mass of mixture is drawn in.
Water-based decarbonisation - DP
I agree with Cliff. My bike loves those cold, crisp winter mornings. Feels noticeably keener and more responsive.

Unlike it's rider.

Cheers
DP
Water-based decarbonisation - glowplug
My 405 used to be more lively on those kind of days. I guess the air's more dense and the intercooler works better too.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...