Southampton to Cambridge - deepwith
Am off to Cambridge tomorrow lunchtime and wonder if anyone knows of any areas I need to avoid at the moment? Have not seen mention of any particular roadwork horrors or bottle necks but you may know better! M3, M25, M11 is presently planned. Return route was going to be on Friday afternoon, but on reflection might make that Saturday if I can bear TWO nights in student digs!!
Southampton to Cambridge - GregSwain
Check the AA's website - there's a tool where you can type "M11" for instance and it'll tell you of any roadworks etc.
Southampton to Cambridge - henry k
Am off to Cambridge tomorrow lunchtime and wonder if anyone knows of any areas I need to avoid at the moment?
M3, M25, M11 is presently planned.

See the first part of
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=40462
Return route was going to be on Friday afternoon, but on reflection might make that Saturday

>>
I would guess that POETS in the summer on the M25 is not a good idea.
I even joineed a 10 mile queue of holiday stuff at the end of the M27 west at MIDDAY on Fri so I would expect the M25 to be busy.
Southampton to Cambridge - spikeyhead {p}
I'd go up he A10 then across on the A603 in prefernce to the M11, its not any quicker just a more pleasant drive.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Southampton to Cambridge - FP
www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/ is also quite useful. Search for road news by county or by major road.
Southampton to Cambridge - pmh
Avoid the M25- A10 Junction at all costs! Major road works with access closures, resulting in long tailbacks almost all the time. I was caught last Sat at 10.00am despite my local knowledge!

If you have to do the journey try to do it at 03.00.

Try routing M25 - A1(M) then A505, A10 and then Cambridge. The Baldock Bypass is now open. Looks and feels almost continental!
--

pmh (was peter)

Southampton to Cambridge - Vin {P}
Ref coming back on Saturday: The M3 southbound on a summer Saturday can be pretty bad. (We moved to Southampton from Cambridge a few years ago, and did the trip a number of times on a weekend, so I have experience).

Regarding the route: I'd go M3, M25 to just past the M1 junction, cut the corner at Hatfield to the A1, Then across from Baldock on the A whatever it is. The drag over to the M11 on the M25 is something you might want to avoid if possible - it's further and more hassle.

If you've never been to Cambridge before, enjoy the ring road. Better still, plan that bit of your journey before you set off, and join it as close as you can to your destination. The less time you spend on the Cambridge inner ring road, the happier you will be.

V
Southampton to Cambridge - deepwith
Thanks for all help - brilliant journey stopping briefly at South Mimms and used the Baldock by-pass. Happily making progress while hearing of hold-ups due to fire/accident etc on the original route. Got to Cherry Hinton in no time and will follow advice on the return journey. Scenic route on way home to avoid Lyndhurst!! Many thanks again.