Died Renault 1.8 RT Do i get rid of it? - F1driver
Arhh on my way to the pub for a nice quiet drink with a friend and then a funny noise and then the engine cut out and died on me! Luckily I managed to coast into the pub car park!
Anyway my scenario is that the cam belt has gone, and the car is in my estimation only worth £350-£650 (103000 miles) being a Renualt Laguna 1.8 RT 1996 'P' I reckon would almost cost that to repair it..
So I was thinking of selling it on E bay with statement that cambelt has gone and goes to highest bidder! Some mug might buy it!
Then I looked at Car Giant.co.ok for perhaps a 130 BHP mondeo with 6 speed gear box can get some between £6400 - £8000 but i looked at mileages which appeared to be between 40 - 70 K.
It making me think its cheaper( £350 car!) to get mine repaired without depreciation! and only 30K higher in mileage compared to a £6400 - £8000 car!
Appreciate your thoughts..
obviously I am not a real F1 (formula one) driver by the way!

Died Renault 1.8 RT Do i get rid of it? - blue_haddock
If there are no other major faults with the Laguna i'd repair that and keep using that.
If there are no other major faults with the Laguna i'd
repair that and keep using that.

Thanks for your comment.. I will consider this.. will need to get rest of car checked and also need to await quote on price for repair and then see where I go from there
Died Renault 1.8 RT Do i get rid of it? - barney100
You are in the same boat as most of us...get rid or repair. I reckon most modern cars will last for for years if you plough cash into them, example my wifes beloved Volvo. If you get a newer car you will be back to square one very soon. I reckon you should get a quote for repair and if this is ok and the rest of the car is sound you will save a bundle of cash which you could use on something else.
Died Renault 1.8 RT Do i get rid of it? - bikemade3
F1 Driver i must ask when was the cambelt last changed and did you get the tensioners replaced ?
Died Renault 1.8 RT Do i get rid of it? - adverse camber
What about a second hand engine? If the valves etc are trashed then buying a cheap used engine from a breaker might be cheaper.

poss still a good idea to do the t/belt tendioner, water pump or whatever is on the tbelt before fitting.
What about a second hand engine? If the valves etc
are trashed then buying a cheap used engine from a breaker
might be cheaper.
poss still a good idea to do the t/belt tendioner, water
pump or whatever is on the tbelt before fitting.

Yes now you mention this will take on board in doing costings of repair relative to value of car.
Will let you all know what i do eventually! Decisions Decisions decisions!
F1 Driver i must ask when was the cambelt last changed
and did you get the tensioners replaced ?

Arhh very good point.. The cam belt was changed At 40,000 miles when i first serviced the car with the main agents ..I would I don't know if the tensioners would have been replaced at that moment in time. However in some ways as the car has now done 103,000 miles the belt should have been changed at 80,000 miles (if i remember rightly cam belts should be changed every 40,000 miles) but none of the garages have picked on this although partly my fault not to ensure its replacement.
You are in the same boat as most of us...get rid
or repair. I reckon most modern cars will last for for
years if you plough cash into them, example my wifes beloved
Volvo. If you get a newer car you will be back
to square one very soon. I reckon you should get a
quote for repair and if this is ok and the rest
of the car is sound you will save a bundle of
cash which you could use on something else.

Too true about being in the same boat as the rest of you..I think i held onto the car a little too long to get some claw back on it..what frightens me is the rapid depreciation of cars it is like money to throw away. I will be getting a quote like you say.. and really based on that and decide including whether there are other major faults as hightlighted in the first reply to my posting. I do appreciate your response i do find this site really good for car problems!
Died Renault 1.8 RT Do i get rid of it? - Xileno {P}
Better the devil you know...
If you can get it fixed for £500 and get another 12 months out of it, then I would do that. The MK1 Laguna is a fairly tough old war horse.
Better the devil you know...
If you can get it fixed for £500 and get another
12 months out of it, then I would do that. The
MK1 Laguna is a fairly tough old war horse.

As much as i have cursed and moaned about the car - lack of power with 1.8 engine (only 90bhp!) and gets so hot inside in the summer without any aircon! and cheap build quality. Its wide track has made it a stable car, but generally its been reliable with no problems compared to the 1991 vauxhall cavalier which was plagued with problems and reliability despite it being a better looking car with better build quality! The Laguna is definately a tough warhorse! I only brought for £4000 after having knocked the owner down from almost £5500 in Sept 2000 saying the owner that the bottom had dropped out of second car market! so in a way its been a good value for money car in depreciation terms over 6 years. Thanks for you comment.